The Dark Mod Forums

Exciting Possibility.

pataran

;I do appreciate the effort you put in. You don't need to get defensive about things other people made, though. I assumed that those normals came with the textures. Why would they charge for textures that don't come with normals or spec maps? They're alright, I guess ugly was the wrong word. They're just far from professional, and seem to be low resolution. I'm sure we all appreciate the gesture, but the license is too restrictive for us to use.

Again you fail to read my previous posts. Those normals didn't come from them, I said I didn't understand how to combine the greyscale images when I took those pics. So I used just the regular "normal" button to make the detail.

<br />Again you fail to read my previous posts. Those normals didn't come from them, I said I didn't understand how to combine the greyscale images when I took those pics. So I used just the regular "normal" button to make the detail.<br />

I understand what you said, I'm just saying it's strange for them not to come with normals, especially since they seem optimized to be used with shaders (no baked shadows). This means that either they were lazy, didn't know how to make them, or don't understand that those textures would look bland as hell as just diffuse. As a first attempt, however, your normals are quite good - just far too deep.

I don't think textures are a big issue right now. Since beta mappers are working already there should be enaugh to get people going.

When the mod gets released there will be a (hopefully big) community that creates more materials with even better quality, but without the risk of legal issues.

Why not just leave it alone and relax about it?

<_<

-

I don't think textures are a big issue right now. Since beta mappers are working already there should be enaugh to get people going.

When the mod gets released there will be a (hopefully big) community that creates more materials with even better quality, but without the risk of legal issues.

Why not just leave it alone and relax about it?

<_<

-

Why don't you guys quit being nay sayers and actually think about the effort I just put in.

O, by the way I just got permission to use them in dark mod. Does that mean you still don't want to use it plasticman? Probably not.

Textures are always an issue. There is nothing like "too many texture error" in our mod. ;) So if sombody like pataran goes to the effort to create new textures or improving existing ones, this is certainly appreciated and always helps the mod along, as we are notoriously low on contributing people.

And I sure don't buy that "When the mod is released there will be a host of people suddenly adding quality stuff". I certainly think that good stuff will be added over time, as there are always people doing that, but if there would be such a large number willing to contribute new stuff, why would they wait for the final release, when we can already use them now, and often enough said so?

O, by the way I just got permission to use them in dark mod.

You got permission from the copyright holder? That's certainly good news indeed. :D

Gerhard

You got permission from the copyright holder? That's certainly good news indeed. :D

Indeed :wub:

Even if they don't have normal maps we can create these easier than creating diffuse+normal. (Also, if I understand that correctly, the textures do have heightmaps, and creating normal maps from heightmaps is even easier than creating them from scratch).

So I see only positive things for us and would like to thank pataran for doing this! :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Indeed :wub:

Even if they don't have normal maps we can create these easier than creating diffuse+normal. (Also, if I understand that correctly, the textures do have heightmaps, and creating normal maps from heightmaps is even easier than creating them from scratch).

So I see only positive things for us and would like to thank pataran for doing this! :)

Agreed. Again, we all appreciate the effort and I'm sure we'll find some use for them. We were just worried about the copyright issues. Are we allowed to modify them? Some of them may need tweaking to look good.