The Dark Mod Forums

November Update

plasticman

Thank you. Thank you! THANK YOU!!!

:rolleyes:

-

Yes, every box of TDM now comes with either an apple, a pear, a muffin, a small cake, a small bread or a carrot. The special edition contains either cheese [1] or a turnip.

The food is fresh when packaged, but eaters caution is advised when the box is opened long after it was sent from the factory.

Note: We must stress that the rumors that the Director's Cut Special DARK Pro-Thief Platinum Builder Edition (3 disks, including a real rope arrow[2] and a map of Saint Roderick's Church) contains a whole duck are NOT true.

1: A choice of red Cheddar, Dunlop cheese, Brennesselkäse, Sardo cheese, Sakura cheese, Olomoucké syrečky, Dansk blåskimmel, Camembert, Feta, etc. depending on the location of the distributor and the current season. Offer void where prohibited. Product may contain nuts (sausage in Great Britain and the Isle of Man, Vodka in East Europe).

2: Rope not included. Some assembly required. Keep away from thiefs under age 3.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Now about those edible sounds........how do they sound? All the same no matter what you eat? Like the crunchy deer legs, and crunchy cheese? :P;) Love the update BTW, its awesome!

AFAIK we currently only have a "eat apple sound". If anybody has the time and resources to make the other sounds, please post here or send us a PM :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Hmmm, it would be interesting to try and make these sounds. LM and I will work on some, see what we can come up with. Anything specific to add, you guys want, let us know. I've done enough recording of voice work over the years, this will be interesting.

Are you just going to eat fruit and vegetables over a mic? :laugh:

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

We're in pretty desperate need of decent collision sounds, like wooden objects falling onto floors. Think of anything in St. Lucia that sounded off--that's what we need. :)

We're in pretty desperate need of decent collision sounds, like wooden objects falling onto floors. Think of anything in St. Lucia that sounded off--that's what we need. :)

OK, so NH is going to do the food, you guys need wooden sounds. Falling crate, though I don't happen to have a crate handy, :P I do have plenty of wood around here. Anything else you guys can think of? An opened creaky creepy sounding door?

There's a decent chance we can use just about anything you can think of. :) Sound effects are probably our weakest area. Here's an old list that I think is still pretty accurate:

- body_drag (0/2)

- body_impact (0/2)

material_glass_impact (0/3)

- material_grass_impact (0/3)

- material_gravel_impact (0/3)

- material_marble_impact (0/3)

- material_metal_impact (0/3)

- material_porcelain_destroyed (0/3)

- material_porcelain_impact (0/3)

- material_stone_destroyed (0/3)

- material_stone_impact (0/3)

- material_water_impact (0/3)

- material_wood_destroyed (3/3)

- material_wood_impact (3/3)

clock_bell (0/2)

- clock_mechanics (0/2)

- clock_tick (0/2)

Also coming to mind immediately...creaking wood, rattling chains, rusty signs creaking in the wind, and murmured conversations.

There's a decent chance we can use just about anything you can think of. :) Sound effects are probably our weakest area. Here's an old list that I think is still pretty accurate:

- body_drag (0/2)

- body_impact (0/2)

material_glass_impact (0/3)

- material_grass_impact (0/3)

- material_gravel_impact (0/3)

- material_marble_impact (0/3)

- material_metal_impact (0/3)

- material_porcelain_destroyed (0/3)

- material_porcelain_impact (0/3)

- material_stone_destroyed (0/3)

- material_stone_impact (0/3)

- material_water_impact (0/3)

- material_wood_destroyed (3/3)

- material_wood_impact (3/3)

clock_bell (0/2)

- clock_mechanics (0/2)

- clock_tick (0/2)

Also coming to mind immediately...creaking wood, rattling chains, rusty signs creaking in the wind, and murmured conversations.

I had to laugh at your list. Springheel I don't know if you realize what I do for a living. Hence the name. I repair/restore objects, the list you provided, I have all that stuff. Over the years, some people, and it doesn't happen very often, abandon their objects, I have some old porcelain/marble pieces laying about. I have all kinds of stuff, if you'll give me a little time, I'll see what we can come up with. I have gotten rid of some stuff, I know I have more. I need to go through and see what I have. What about glass breaking?

If you are curious. www.brokenarts.com

Komag, sometimes, once in a blue moon, I get to *break* some old crap thats been laying about for ages. Its not worth anything, its junk, somebodies elses treasure that isn't worth crap. I do have some stuff that is worth fixing, that people have abandoned. That will get auctioned off later. I get a real deep sense of satisfaction out of breaking the junk. I take it out to the garbage bin, open the lid, and chuck it inside. :P I always have to fix it! Let me break it!! I'm serious.....LOL.

The only time I get the *willies* is when I do hear a crash, that I am not prepared for. Its like, "Oh Shit" what broke? :o

Springheel I don't know if you realize what I do for a living. Hence the name. I repair/restore objects, the list you provided, I have all that stuff.

Cool. :) We might have to upgrade you from beta-tester to sound department. :)

What about glass breaking?

We're basically using the D3 glass breaking sound, which sounds more like a window breaking. We could certainly use something that sounds more like a bottle.

Cool. :) We might have to upgrade you from beta-tester to sound department. :)

We're basically using the D3 glass breaking sound, which sounds more like a window breaking. We could certainly use something that sounds more like a bottle.

Hah, whatever you decide, I just happen to have all that stuff you listed. I'd still love to test though, when the time comes!

Maybe another breaking glass sound or two to have, would give you more to choose from.

- body_drag (0/2)

Hah, whatever you decide, I just happen to have all that stuff you listed. I'd still love to test though, when the time comes!

You even have a dead body to drag around?

I thought we were going to get a Builder Priest figurine and a blackjack with our director's cut purchase. So you're telling me the real working moss arrows are out too? I'm going to boycott.

No, the Builder Priest figurine and blackjack come with the Builder's Hammerhit Special HOLY Pro-Thief Gold Edition. As for the moss arrows, it depends all on how much moss we can gether...

Maybe another breaking glass sound or two to have, would give you more to choose from.

Please note that we need at least 2, better 3 or 4 sounds for each effect, the engine then chooses them randomly. That ways bouncing a crate around won't sound the same sound always :)

I wonder about pilfering sounds from YouTube videos...

It just seems like a massive repository of all sorts of sounds for all sorts of situations.

I read through the license and Sec 5 is on User content, and it seems they only want user data to be available in streaming form, as is, and in particular don't want it to be stored in any form.

I wonder, though, if you got permission from the video owner, if that takes YouTube out of the loop as far as licensing the content goes. And since it's easy to PM people on YouTube (and to the extent the owner is the uploader), I think a lot of people would be cool about giving permission for that sort of thing.

Anyway, just an idea to brainstorm.

Of course I can see the advantages of either recording sounds directly, or getting them from a known source that's specifically licensed them for public use or are unambiguously in the public domain.

BTW, I did recently get a new microphone for my laptop... Is there a wiki entry or something about a preferred way recording and packaging sounds if anyone is in the mind to contribute?

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Woo, nice update. I'll be looking some more :) Still playing St Lucia, it's that fun :) (trying to find that last damn piece of loot).

Please update screenshots though. Those ones up there are old...

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."