The Dark Mod Forums

Mayhem Intergalactic (my indie game) now on Steam!

Crispy

I've posted before about the game I created, Mayhem Intergalactic, that takes up most of my time when I'm not at uni or DarkModding.

Well, I've been sitting on this announcement for months: I can now reveal that Mayhem Intergalactic will be on Steam in the near future. :D

This is great for me since all Mayhem Intergalactic has really been missing so far is exposure. Steam can solve that problem.

Speaking of exposure - go check it out. ;) Even if you played it back when I posted about it before, because it's had a ton of improvements applied to it since then. It looks, sounds, and feels a whole lot nicer, and there are some new gameplay features too.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Congratz man,

you have a moddb page for it?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Good news :)

Is there a linux version now? Also, do you have an contact with Valve?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

you have a moddb page for it?

No, but that's a really good idea! Thanks! :) On it now...

Is there a linux version now? Also, do you have an contact with Valve?

No and yes, respectively - the Linux version isn't out yet I'm afraid (I've had other priorities), and yes I have been talking with several people at Valve. Not that the latter is hard, their email addresses are pretty easy to find.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

ModDB page is up! http://www.moddb.com/games/mayhem-intergalactic

Reviews and ratings on that page appreciated. :D

Cool man,

I'm downloading the demo right now.

The setup looks sweet. If you want to arouse more interest in potential fans, you should post a gameplay or trailer video.

Also, the Moddb staff might contact you, and can feature you in the main page scrolling news banner. That happened for TDM back in October when SL released. I don't know what the requirements are (popularity?), but a lot of things get featured ikn the monthly news.

Okay enough rambling for me, I'll play the demo and let you know what I think, school starts again tomorrow, I hate mondays :o

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I just played the demo, I liked it.

Its quick to learn, its simple. I wish the AI would of fought back though :-()

Also reminded me of that old Sierra game Outpost.

Well good night peeps.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I just played the demo, I liked it.

Its quick to learn, its simple. I wish the AI would of fought back though :-()

Glad you liked it! To fix the AI, go into the options screen and crank the AI intelligence up to highest. :)

:rolleyes:

Like I haven't heard that before... everyone seems to think it's hilarious. :(

Oh, sure. I have to deal with it (or choose not to) anyway. It's just not very nice to throw it in my face, even if it is a joke.

Trust me, you'll get used to it :) Take it from someone who makes games for a living. We find torrents for the roms for our DS games days after the US release date.

In a way, you're safer - your game is less popular. I'm looking forward to a similar situation when I start releasing games I make as a hobby.

Anyway - congratulations!! That's huge exposure for yourself getting on Steam - that's what it's really about right now.

Thanks dude. :)

Oh, sure. I have to deal with it (or choose not to) anyway. It's just not very nice to throw it in my face, even if it is a joke.

Think of it as exposure. Especially for good Indy games, with a reasonable price, the people who appreciate it will buy it for sure and most others wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Gerhard

Think of it as exposure. Especially for good Indy games, with a reasonable price, the people who appreciate it will buy it for sure and most others wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Believe me, I'm across all of the pro-piracy and anti-piracy arguments. I don't believe that particular one is true; it's merely an excuse, invented after the fact to justify actions that people were going to take anyway. Yes, a few of the pirates who end up really appreciating the game and are cognisant of the effect they're having on the developer will buy it. Most will not. Why would they bother? For almost all games, the number of pirates who turn into customers is dwarfed by the number of potential customers who turn into pirates and never buy the game.

The only public estimates of piracy I know of, most from casual game developers and indie developers, are 90%. (The methodology behind these figures have been questioned, but certainly the percentage is very high whatever the exact number.) In other words, for every 1 person who bought the game, 9 others pirated it.

Just think: If none of those 9 people had been able/willing to engage in piracy, how many of them would have bought the game? Even if 1/9th of the people who are currently pirates would have bought the game if they hadn't been able to pirate it, that's a doubling in sales.

This is borne out in practice. Whenever someone upgrades/modifies their online DRM, creating a small window of time during which the game is no longer cracked, their sales spike upwards noticeably. Everyone in that spike was willing to buy the game (because they did), but previously wouldn't have because they would have been able to pirate it. If the theory you've quoted was true, one would expect a downwards spike if anything.

So much for piracy benefiting the industry.

I do take a hands-off approach to piracy, but not because I think it's a good thing. Rather, I take this approach because:

* I don't believe piracy has much of an impact on my business at this point. For starters, nobody pirates my game because nobody has heard of it!

* I don't consider DRM to be a truly viable solution.

* I'm lazy. :P

DRM? You mean like a serial number for online play?

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I mean like any kind of technological system designed to prevent non-customers from playing the game (or from fully playing the game) while allowing actual customers to play the game (mostly). Serial numbers which get verified online is a common method, yes.

I really think steam is the future of DRM. IMO Piracy is so rampant in gaming because the quality of many titles is questionable. For example brand loyalty is very hard to come by in the video game market due to the complexities of making a game. For example, I bet that people are far more likely to download EA games compared to Blizzard games because Blizzard has worked very hard at establishing themself as a company that when you spend 60 dollars on a game, you know it will be fun. Where-as EA has released a ton of titles which cost the 60 dollars but are horrible and should really be half that. Demos which are supposed to help in aiding customers in getting a taste of weather a game is good or not have become increasingly shorter as time has progressed and literally only showing the best parts of the game. So Demos have become a thing of the past in terms of judging weather you want a game or not.

However this brings up the issue of how much games cost now to make. Even a crappy game costs a lot of money to make. Basically I think the market has been segmented into 3 categories.

1)Small cheaper games like indie or 2d throwback games [ie xbox live, wii online ect]

2)Medium sized games which appeal to mass audiences and play on marketing [ie: NFS series and the Halo series]

3)and then massive projects which a ton of money and effort is sunk into them [ie: doom3 Halflife2 Fable 2] often having a cult following.

When you get a company that cheaps out on the quality of their product ie: eidos and thief. You lose that loyalty associated with the title and thus I bet more T4 will be downloaded if it comes out than T3 was.

Where am I going with this? I dunno :P But i read something recently about how Gabe Newell one of the founder of Steam [i think] mentioned how install limitations are bad business practice and I agree with him 100%. As companies should be trying to heighten the value to consumers rather than quash it using questionable DRM methods. With steam the only limitation on the game is that you may need the internet to activate it. I see no issue with that in today's modern world.

I agree with you Jdude.

Steam used to be a pain in the butt sometimes, when it first came out. But as they fixed the bugs, its really great. I love how if I lose a CD, or I bring my comp to a friend's house for a lan and want to install a game, I can just go to my games list and download them. I've been really impressed with what steam has done.

The only thing I have a problem with is when you buy a digital download, you don't get the box/manual/cd. Sure its convenient and you have it forever (with steam), I like having the original stuff that came with it. Its cool when I can find that old game years down the road and still be able to play it. I try to keep all my games together. I have a computer museum in my basement, (I found in my old Apple IICI, a floppy disk 5, for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis) I should open a real one.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I really think steam is the future of DRM.

I completely agree. DRM that actually adds value to customers rather than removing it? Amazing!

Unfortunately most of us don't have the resources to clone Steam, so if I was to implement DRM on the non-Steam version of my game it would probably have to be the useless, easily-cracked type that inconveniences real customers more than pirates. So I don't bother. The Steam version of my game will have the same DRM as all Steam games, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Steam, it adds convenience in so many ways. Like how you can just copy the data files for your game to another computer, validate it, and it runs, no install.

And who still reads manuals anyway? The ideal game experience is excitedly jumping straight into the game and having it actually play you through an interactive tutorial, which is pretty much the actual game but carefully made so that it teaches you how to play as unintrusively as possible. And I'm happy to say most new games I play do exactly this. Crisis, Call of Duty 4, Half Life 2, etc.

People spamming past huge amounts of on-screen text, ignoring game manuals and jumping straight into the game, is not really about their "lack of dicipline", it's natural. We want to learn by doing.

The tutorials we make at work consist of little challenges that you can't pass untill you've performed a certain move correctly, accompanied by minimal, optional instructive dialogue. It sounds limiting, but if its done right, the player just feels like they are playing the game, and not being taught in a heavy handed way.

• 1 month later...