The Dark Mod Forums

Conversation Editor

I resolved one of the last items on the 0.9.8 roadmap, which means we have a new Conversation plugin available now. Took me almost a week, the most part was eaten by boresome GTK coding.

Screenie:

conversation.png

(isn't this a nice blue? ;) it's what you get when you disable the desktop composition in Vista to avoid a GTK issue)

The download of the pre-release package is available here: http://bugs.angua.at/darkradiant-0.9.8pre14.exe (the FTP is currently unreachable for me)

If people get a chance to test it, this would be nice - otherwise it's not a problem neither, time will tell soon enough how many bugs are still in there.

@OrbWeaver: With the conversation editor implemented, we're almost ready for a new DarkRadiant release (except for the one "Cannot use 'Choose model' for existing to change skin" issue, which can be resolved in 0.9.9 as well). Is it fine with you to release a new version this weekend?

Looks sweet.

When I get home, I'll give it a try.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

damn, that's good. And it works, during my first test that is. I can test some more tomorrow.

Possible improvements: a duplicate button or copy/paste buttons in the commands section of the edit conversation box would be nice. Maybe increase the size of the commands box a little and decrease the size of the actors box, there are usually more commands than actors.

Create a shortcut to DarkRadiant (if you haven't already) and go to the Properties of that shortcut. In one of the tabs, there is the "Disable Desktop Composition" option, just check it.

As soon as DarkRadiant runs, the window transparency and the task bar mouseover preview are disabled. In exchange you can drag-select objects in DarkRadiant's orthoviews without having that weird white rectangle stuff.

Tested a little more today, no bugs yet. I noticed a small inconsistency: In the edit conversations menu to edit an actor you must click on it. Just underneath it in the commands box editing is done by a special button. Why not the same for both? Both an edit button or both an edit button and a possibility to edit it by clicking.

Yes, it's inconsistent, but for a reason.

Commands are much more complex to edit (choose actor, wait until finished checkbox, variable argument types). Edit-by-clicking is not possible here.

Each actor is just a string containing the entity name. I was reluctant to create a new popup window just for entering the name, while the GtkTreeView is still offering the editing-by-click option, which is doing the same thing without popup.

Of course, that's my view of things, if people are having problem with the intuitiveness of this, I can also change it.