The Dark Mod Forums

Any objections to my modifying this keyhole texture?

Fidcal

The texture keyhole_metal_001 has some kind of mark inside the keyhole which looks wrong to me - like a blockage at the bottom of the hole and it keeps bugging me. This texture looks like a photograph so maybe there is something in the original? Part of the lock mechanism? Unless someone can explain it I'd like to remove it and just blacken the hole like the rest of it. I can't see who originally committed this from the log because it's been recently converted to dds. Maybe BaddCogg? I could reconvert from the dds but maybe I can find the original tga somewhere on SVN?

post-400-1228577855_thumb.jpg

The keyhole has so little resolution that you can just edit the DDS directly.

In case you want the TGA, it's probably best to go to the "Repository Browser" and view the darkmod repository as it was a few hundred revisions ago. The TGA files are still there at this point and you can download the files or view their log.

Wasn't me but it does bare a resemblance to chewing gum.

Debate:

What kind of chewing gum. Is it the right color? Is it the right chewing gum for the time period?

Just kidding.

I had actually tried to put some lock mechanism in my keyhole before just to see how it looked, I thought it looked bad and instantly removed it.

IMO keyholes should just be black, no lights gonna be getting in there and if it did the internals are probably all dirty and oily and probably not much specular to reflect light anyway.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

We do have a backup of the TGA archive on bloodgate.com and on my HD, too, I could dig this up if you want.

However, as greebo said :)

Also, I agree it should just be black.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I think I uploaded it, but I think it should be replaced. I just put it up because there was none available and I think I found it somewhere on the internet, so I don't even know about it's legal status for sure.

I just used it for my testmap, but it would be nice if it weren't just deleted but replaced by something better.

Gerhard

This is the replacement I've committed. I just modified one of our existing metal textures. Not certain it is ideal but it is so small in-game you can't see any detail. It can be redone if necessary.

post-400-1228774449_thumb.jpg

Make it 32x32 pixel then? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Textures can be resized in terms of pixels without affecting the models they're placed on, because the models use UV coordinates (0,0 is the upper-left of the image, 1,1 is the lower-right of the image) not pixel coordinates. So if you resize down to 128x128 or even 64x64, the model will look exactly the same, except that the texture will look a bit blurrier from close up. As always, you have to trade-off texture quality with file size / memory usage.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

This is the replacement I've committed. I just modified one of our existing metal textures. Not certain it is ideal but it is so small in-game you can't see any detail. It can be redone if necessary.

Looks fine to me. Do we have a texture that fitrs the material of the keyhole as well? It looks a bit strange if the keyhole is a different metal then the surrounding metal. That's also a reason why I downloaded this one, because I figured that it looks similar enough and it had those lines along the border to set it off a bit.

Gerhard

Textures can be resized in terms of pixels without affecting the models they're placed on, because the models use UV coordinates (0,0 is the upper-left of the image, 1,1 is the lower-right of the image) not pixel coordinates. So if you resize down to 128x128 or even 64x64, the model will look exactly the same, except that the texture will look a bit blurrier from close up. As always, you have to trade-off texture quality with file size / memory usage.

That's right. However, about the "a bit blurrier" part: (THis is a general remark, not specific to this texture alone).

First, the keyhole is *very* small. So wasting 256x256 pixels on it is a waster, as the player probably never will get so close that it would fill a big enough portion of the screen.

In addition, the entire 2 m³ of door sourinding the keyhole will be represented by a texture likely 512x512 pixel. This means the keyhole will look *much* sharper than the rest, and thus out of place. (In fact, most of our wall and door textures look awefully blurry on an modern monitor :)

So balancing the size of the texture against the size of the object should always be done. it's a bit silly to have a 256x256 texture for a keyhole, but only have 512x512 for the entire door. :)

Looks fine to me. Do we have a texture that fitrs the material of the keyhole as well? It looks a bit strange if the keyhole is a different metal then the surrounding metal. That's also a reason why I downloaded this one, because I figured that it looks similar enough and it had those lines along the border to set it off a bit.
You mean it really needs a border as it would look odd just stuck in the middle of some plain metal texture? Also that would help if the mapper wants it to protrude slightly.

I'll look into this and also probably reduce it at least to 128 x 128 because as Tels says it's quality is out of proportion to other textures. Even if someone wants a huge lockbox for a grand drawbridge or something it cannot need more than 128 maybe even 64. I might try 64. I might also make a brass version for choice.

You mean it really needs a border as it would look odd just stuck in the middle of some plain metal texture? Also that would help if the mapper wants it to protrude slightly.

I think the border might be helpfull. In cases where the border is not needed, the mapper can still stretch the texture, so that it is no longer visible.

Gerhard

• 4 weeks later...