The Dark Mod Forums

Tweaks to Frob highlight

New Horizon

That is a texture I uploaded, I'm sure it's saved as a DDS and not a TGA, maybe I used the wrong dds form? I used dxt1 or something like that. Or is there perhaps something wrong with the material file? I can check it myself in about 5 hours from now.

If it's causing such probs, and requires such sweeping changes (to current, and future policy) to correct (if that even works -- there might be more lurking we're unaware of), we shouldn't even be considering it anymore at this point, IMHO.

How much work is there to undo what's been changed in favor of it (only stuff not needing doing anyway), is what I wonder.

Yes, I think we should definitely shelve this until after 1.0 (five weeks away, folks).

@Flanders :

Its a former .DDS changed to .TGA, you did nothing "wrong" :).

@Sneaksie :

Afaik, nothing was changed on the SVN version, only the frobhighlight testmap has materials that use this - so nothing has to be "undone".

I think I would recommend NOT trying to do this for 1.0. The current frob system is well tested and works decently.

I wouldn't say that it "works decently." I've missed things countless times because in medium lighting, I can't tell if they are frobbed. Especially if you round a corner and it frobs before you see it for the first time, you won't be able to tell unless you happen to un-frob it and re-frob it while looking at it. For example, in jdude's randommech map, I can't tell that the handles to the blast doors are frobbed. I walked right by them several times and never noticed the slight frobhilight, only found out they frobbed by frobbing blindly.

Our current method is a combination of additive lighting-based frob and fullbright, right? The lighting-based frob does not seem to work well in medium lighting. What if we tweaked the settings and gave a little more weight to the fullbright to make it easier to see in medium lighting?

I wouldn't say that it "works decently." I've missed things countless times because in medium lighting,

That has more to do with the values used than the system itself. We've just been using default values for everything, when certain textures might need different values to be more visible.

Rebb, do you have any idea what could cause the green tint? Maybe a channel swap? A typo in your shader?

As far as googling leads me, "Color applied to a specular map tints the color of highlights". Maybe that is the cause?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@Tels :

Nothing special is done to how the Diffuse/Specular/Normal is read in the shader, they are being read just the same like the vfps that came with the original game do it.

There is no channel-switching being done.

If i knew what exactly causes the tint, i'd be happy :).

It very much smells like another "we know more once the Doom3 Source is out" issue tho.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an old thread that has discussions about how maybe make loot items appear as though they are loot before picking them up or before frobbing them without going the TDS route.

I can't tell if you're doing the things described in that thread or not. If not, no worries; I'm sure you're on a good track. I'm just bringing it up for historic reference in case it helps...

My Mansion Loot

Don't worry, I've been quiet a long time here so I won't claim to be up-to-speed on the mod; and so I won't dig up old threads to refer to hardly ever.

I hope it was okay to post this here. The ability to distinguish what is loot before frobbing and what happens when you frob loot kind've go hand-in-hand, so I didn't find it too off-topic, if at all.

PS: I can't believe you guys have such high post counts now! Unbelievable!!

-DF (going back into the shadows)

PS: I can't believe you guys have such high post counts now! Unbelievable!!

-DF (going back into the shadows)

The sad thing is my account was about 2 years dormant before I started posting ... :wacko:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax