The Dark Mod Forums

Want Any Help In Map Lighting?

Dram

Hi,

I've been watching this mod from late October and find it astounding at the amount of work done on it in such a short period of time.

Always glad to see Thief-fans (the ones that were disappointed with T3 being nothing like T1 & 2 but more of a twisted medieval FPS. [the plot was good though, but I think LGS made that up] -- don't hate the game though, just think it should'nt have been rushed *cough* *cough* *saving-bug* *cough*). ANYWAY,

To the purpose of my post. If you guys are'nt 100% happy with the building lighting (looks good to me, just thought if you wanted help), or wanted more "lighters" then I can try to help. I did lighting (for my own purposes of changing it to be thief like) for some maps in Thievery (not the ones that are on net, just for LAN-play, using my mod for it [which makes you light up heaps when walking, slightly when sneaking, etc, and also adds silhouette mode, da di da di da....]) to be dark, and more Thief-like.

If you guys are interested, then I can send some screenies. If not then tell me here please.

Either way, you guys are doing a great job, keep it up! ;)

--Dram

Ok, cool. Here they are...

(The first screenshots are from my version, the second ones are the original. Please note that the shadows in my version are very dark because of the silhouette mode and that I wanted the lighting to be creepy-ish, so excuse their overly-orange-yellow look.)

The map I'll use here is Th-Bourgeois.unr:

My version:

umm, er, this may sound dumb, but I can't paste it into the post, nor can I put them as attachments for they are each 1.25 megs. I could shrink them, but they'd look bad...

AAARGH!!!

Please help!!! :blink:

Ahh, thank you.

Excellent, here is the site:

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dramtheth...lbum?.dir=/b5b6

Aargh!!! They're too dark! Sorry for the inconvenience, but they're screenshots, so they will (unfortunately) be dark. Anyway, please have a look. Also, if you have Thievery I could send the map (with the relevant files attached) to you guys. Much easier to evaluate a map being in it eh?

Anyway, have a look and tell me what you think (again, please remember that I have it very yellow-orange on purpose for atmosphere, and there is good ambient music which is obviously not there, but anyway.).

--Dram

1 last thing,

If they're not of the standard you're looking for, then please tell me what's wrong with them (one can only improve with criticism).

BTW, if you guys don't have a light gem texture, then I could send you mine (you'll see it down the bottom of those screenies ;) ) but I reckon you guys got that all done anyway.

Anyways, good luck ;) .

--Dram

Got to love yahoo and its FREE 30 MB of image space :) (I think its more now)

Don't worry about them being dark - I think any of us that are serious about viewing Thief screenshots would, by now, know that the only way to view them is full screen, at night. I saved them to desktop purely for that purpose (my ACDSee viewer is set to automatically fit the image to fill my screen), and I do most of my computer stuff at night.

Well, they look pretty Thiefy to me. Actually, they look like (good) Thievery UT levels. It'd be good to see what you can do with other tools (such as D3). Let the other guys see what they think of these screenshots.

I have Thievery. You should be able to upload the file as a zip to briefcase.yahoo.com (using your existing yahoo ID) and add "Domarius" as one of the allowed viewers. (Briefcase isn't as freely acessable as photos unfortunately, you have to explicitly add other yahoo IDs if you want those people to see it. As I have a yahoo account, he can add me as a viewer)

Edited by Domarius

BTW, if you guys don't have a light gem texture, then I could send you mine (you'll see it down the bottom of those screenies ;) ) but I reckon you guys got that all done anyway.

Lightgem is pretty much set by now. We already have three versions to choose from, so a fourth one would just cloud our minds even further. :)

One thing I'm still not sure though. Can you do actual mapping, or just the lighting for maps?

Gerhard

I can do mapping (not sure of how good it is though, as I always tried it for Thievery but always ended up with an extremely slow running map [cos I made all the things like fences out of brushes not masked singular brushes] so I always dumped them and did'nt bother much. UnrealED really knows how to anger me as it loves to add irrepairable BSP holes - AARGH!!!) so therefore I don't know of the quality. I did try D3 mapping in the original editor (not using the sdk) when it came out. Had a good try at mapping but then my windows2000 caught the "skynet" virus and I had to re-install. After that I could'nt play D3 anymore (unless I'd re-install) so my mapping went down the drain there. Though I will install D3 and give it another shot even with this new sdk.

BTW, gimme a couple of hours to find which files I have changed from the original Thievery so that you guys can have a look at my whole mod (if you bother going through it ;) ). Just a qiuck overview:

*added better splashy water-effects for everything

*added GUI lockpicking (gets super-hard once your above lock difficulty 7, though it's not finished yet, gotta do more combinations for the 8 pin locks) which is heard by AI.

*added wall-climbing (a bit annoying though, all it does is that as a thief when you jump and press jump again in mid-air it puts you into spider physics, there are controls to control it [i will write them in the readme with it])

*changed the loot so that when stolen, it spawns a TSTStolenLoot thing (which the AI notice and also [if you turn it on] you can see it as a redish circle)

*added bleeding (inspired by Thief's "Trail of Blood") which happens when health drops below 50% (at below 20% your movement is hindered) which can be stopped by taking healing of any sort.

*added silhouette mode ([mentioned earlier]always on, could switch it off in script though) which changes the player's texture in black shadow to total black (had a glowing problem) and in light to a normal texture (also made it use the Unreal Male1 model as the thievery model always was spread out [bad for silhouette]). However, if you move too fast in shadows you will light up like a light bulb (inspired by the fan made "Ultimate Difficulty mod" for thief) and the player glows a bit (so that any human player may see him ;) ).

*Changed a lot of textures (like the health drops, lightgem, etc).

*and more...

I could not however even touch the ThieveryMod.u package (think it was made in C++ or other) and that hindered the editing extremely as I always had to find a way around.

So there you go, most of the changes I made to Thievery. I'll provide the files, maps, textures, etc (everything that is needed for the mod). Though it will take a few hours to sort it out (very untidy <_< ) and then I'll chuck it up on yahoo.

Oh yes, one more thing. I did do a small amount of Doom 3 lighting (in that map I tried mentioned earlier), but I'll need to learn more about it (downloading the sdk for a start).

So yeah. I'll post here when I've finished sorting the files of my mod and have them chucked up on yahoo.

1 final thing: Please remember that my mod was made solely for LAN play and that it has it's fair share of problems (the climbing, for some stupid reason, does'nt work with more then one thief in the map - gotta fix it) and that some of it was made to prevent the dumb thing in Thievery where you could hide in a slanted wall or in the tiniest strip of shadow from human players (could'nt fix it for AI :( ) and that the mod was made mainly for ghosting (as I do that all the time - hence why I used the Ultimate difficulty mod in Thief)

That covers all of it then. If you read up to here then you are very patient and I thank you ;) .

PS: If you wanna use any of the stuff I added into Thievery (textures, sounds, ideas, etc) then please, go right ahead.

--Dram

Ok, done. It's all organised and zipped (from 240 to 120 megs).

There is however one problem: I can't fit it into briefcase.yahoo.com cos the limit there is only 30 MB. :(

The only 2 solutions I see at this moment is to put it up in 30 mb individual files <_< and wait each time you guys download it and then put the next up. Or I have to find another site which will hold it.

You guys got any suggestions?

--Dram

Hmm,

I'll look around if I can find a site that can hold it. If I fail, I'll just chuck it up in 30 meg files. If you guys want to bother at all. :(

--Dram

I'm going to setup some space for you to upload it on my ftp space. I'll send you a pm with the instructions.

Whooops....sorry. I just saw how big it was. :( I don't have enough space. I only pay for a small amount of personal space. Do you have instant messaging? MSN? You could send it to me that way and I could distribute it from there.

N.H.

Your maps have some nice atmospherics going on, but they're TOO dark in my opinion. The interior shots look great, but for your cityscapes (or any open scene) you'll need to imply that the shadows are there more than actually make it dark.

What's the point of going all out and doing some spectacular architectural work when you can't even see it?

Your maps have some nice atmospherics going on, but they're TOO dark in my opinion. The interior shots look great, but for your cityscapes (or any open scene) you'll need to imply that the shadows are there more than actually make it dark.

What's the point of going all out and doing some spectacular architectural work when you can't even see it?

Part of that is just the screenies being dark I think, I've had a peek in photoshop and they look really cool. :)

Like I said before, they're for silhouette mode (you gotta be allowed to hide somewhere ;) , so the streets are the logical choice).

Glad you like them NH ;) .

Yes I do have MSN, just gotta set it up (have'nt used it since I installed XP), so I'll just set it up and then tell you. Thanks for going through all the effort btw, I really appreciate it ;) .

So I'll PM you later then NH and when I do I'll post here that I did (just to be sure).

--Dram