The Dark Mod Forums

Standalone Installer

Stormbringer951

As promised, the Doom 3 source code will be released by id. I know that The Dark Mod is going to be converted so it will not have to run on commercial Doom 3, roughly how long would this take? (as in weeks / months from release of D3 sourcecode). I'm assuming that all resources from the disc would have to be replaced with your own and all that, but anyway, I'm just curious as to roughly how long this process will take?

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

I know that The Dark Mod is going to be converted so it will not have to run on commercial Doom 3,

Although everyone agrees it would be ideal if this were to happen, there are all kinds of D3 assets used in TDM, including textures, models, animations, sounds, and particle effects. We would have to replace every one of them in order to provide a complete standalone version (not counting any coding work), and I personally think that's unlikely to happen.

What might be more likely (though certainly not guaranteed) is a "TDM lite" version, which does not include any D3 assets and can only be used successfully with missions that specifically go out of their way to avoid those assets.

What might be more likely (though certainly not guaranteed) is a "TDM lite" version, which does not include any D3 assets and can only be used successfully with missions that specifically go out of their way to avoid those assets.

That could still work out pretty well. If there's one thing modders are, it's resourceful.

And I think there are a good number of them that would think it worth the extra effort for the declaration of Doom3-independence. In a way, it's sort of befitting. The whole modding ethos is DIY and (legally) 'free the code', so going the TDM lite route would be like really showing you have street cred. I could imagine some contests for it, too.

But personally I just really like the idea of having a download link to my FM on my website, with a link below it "Play with the TDML package - Download Here". Whoever stumbles onto the page can go straight to it.

BTW, related question: For people that have Doom 3 but are only interested in it for TDM, is there a way to strip it down to just what's needed for TDM so it doesn't take up any more space? Sort of the next best thing to a standalone package ... Or (for someone wanting to build with it), would it still be better to keep all of Doom 3 around? You never know.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

BTW, related question: For people that have Doom 3 but are only interested in it for TDM, is there a way to strip it down to just what's needed for TDM so it doesn't take up any more space? Sort of the next best thing to a standalone package ... Or (for someone wanting to build with it), would it still be better to keep all of Doom 3 around? You never know.

Excellent question! This would be a great idea, some sort of simple "delete" program that would just go through and wipe out all the bloated extra Doom 3 stuff that isn't needed!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Excellent question! This would be a great idea, some sort of simple "delete" program that would just go through and wipe out all the bloated extra Doom 3 stuff that isn't needed!

D3 is only 1.5 Gbytes, ands we need at the moment quite some things from it. Compare that to the already 1 Gbyte SL release, and you wouldn't save so much space at all. Plus this is a lot of work.

I can see a standalone TDM happen once D3 goes open-source *and* someone finds the time, but until then, this is all idle speculation.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Since Doom 3 costs like just 10 bucks these days it shouldn't be a problem for anyone to get their hands on a copy of that game and I think you guys are doing already enough for the community. No need to ask for more, just to make the installing-process more comfortable... Also ID software is a company with a generous policy and worth supporting because of that in my oppinion.

Yes; though it's been said, just to make it really clear: unplugging D3 from TDM is not one of our priorities nor even on our current todo lists. With our rather small group, we're concentrating on getting core functionality implemented and delivered. If the community wants to unplug TDM 1.0, they will have the ability and many skilled hands required to do so.

*and* someone finds the time, but until then, this is all idle speculation.

Would this be a job for anyone? Or just coders?

Because this is something I'd like to see happen, and once d3 is open source, I'd like to try to help make it standalone.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Because this is something I'd like to see happen, and once d3 is open source, I'd like to try to help make it standalone.

You'd need the ability to replace the existing D3 assets that are used by the mod. You would need to re-create sounds, textures, particle effects, light textures, animations, low poly prop meshes, high poly character models, ragdolls, rigging and/or animations.

You'd need the ability to replace the existing D3 assets that are used by the mod. You would need to re-create sounds, textures, particle effects, light textures, animations, low poly prop meshes, high poly character models, ragdolls, rigging and/or animations.

I can probably do light textures and regular textures. I'm no animator/modeler and I don't have any good sound recording equipment.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Right now we're best served by adding assets we need that aren't in Doom3, and using whatever is in Doom3. That way we'll get the release out as quickly as possible so people can start playing/mapping with the mod. Only after that should we worry about replacing Doom3 assets, IMO.

Yeah, I'm just saying that after we release, we can focus on getting it independent from d3 assets. :rolleyes:

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

It would be really nice to have a standalone-version wich can just be downloaded and compiled instead of first having to install doom3. I am using linux and I tried 3 times now to install doom3. Never had any success (bad thing I did not remember the problems I had). I somehow hoped the final release might be independent from installing doom3.

If my English is bad I am very sorry. It's not my mother tongue.

It would be really nice to have a standalone-version wich can just be downloaded and compiled instead of first having to install doom3. I am using linux and I tried 3 times now to install doom3. Never had any success (bad thing I did not remember the problems I had). I somehow hoped the final release might be independent from installing doom3.

Well, we're getting ahead of ourselves here...the D3 source code has to be released before any of it can happen. It will take a lot of time and effort. Won't be easy, but I'm sure it will happen over time.

One thing to start with is definitely light textures. Not only because TDM only has like about 4, but because the hundred or so D3 light textures are cluttering up our dialog where you choose them, AND they are mostly useless because they are for some fixed modern lights in some fixed circumstances (like a grill light on some garage door).

Probably time for an internal thread :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

In any event, it'd be nice if you guys put out a stand-alone installer to allow a Darkmod FM to run that went to all the trouble to keep out D3 assets.

... Or I guess that's what was meant by the TDM-Lite idea.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I know that The Dark Mod is going to be converted so it will not have to run on commercial Doom 3, roughly how long would this take?

What the DEVS should have done is when released it made sure it worked on EVERY operating system. I can't get this mod to work at all on Vista 64. So having a stand alone installer would of been nice in the first place. OR should have done in the first place.

What the DEVS should have done is when released it made sure it worked on EVERY operating system. I can't get this mod to work at all on Vista 64. So having a stand alone installer would of been nice in the first place. OR should have done in the first place.

Well, we HAVEN'T released the mod yet. We have only released some beta missions.

I don't think you have any idea how much work goes into getting something to work on "ONE" operating system, let alone EVERY operating system. I mean, that takes in Windows, Mac, and Linux. We're volunteers, with families and jobs, we can't possibly do everything.

If you can't get the mod to work, then tell us what problems you're having and we'll try to help you sort it out. Post some error messages, or whatever is happening. Don't just say, "I can't get it to work and you all don't work hard enough".

If it's user error(that means you), we can likely point you in the right direction. If it's a technical error with the mod, we'll try to help there too, but an installer would make absolutely no difference if it's a technical error. The only thing an installer would be any good for is placing the beta mission folder in the right spot, and really somebody should be able follow the simple instructions on how to run the mod. If others with Vista 64 are playing it, then you should be alright as well. Long story short, tell what the problem is...don't tell us how to do our work when you don't understand the complexity behind it.

Steady on NH... no need to bludgeon the poor guy. :)

Robert: Sorry to hear you're having problems. As mentioned, it does work on other people's 64-bit Vista installations, so there must be something else at work here. What's the problem you're having?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.