The Dark Mod Forums

LCD Monitors

Springheel

That is unfortunately a 16:9 monitor, meaning for computer work, it wastes a lot of screenspace where I don't need it (the sides!) and still has less resolution on the vertical than a cheaper, less-watt-using 16:10 monitor (1920x1200).

And it is glossy, too. *sigh* Seems I missed out on buying a 16:10 monitor :(

When I was reviewing LCD monitors, I found this forum to be of some help. AnandTech - The LCD Thread

I ultimately bought a different screen, and I'm happy with my purchase, but the forum gave me some very good sites for reviews, what to look for, etc.

Spring, as far as I know, you have no choice. At least, here in Australia, you can't get a CRT anymore, not since 2 years ago at least.

But there is no need to "armchair" debate this. There is no debate - I have both a CRT and a very new decent LCD (Acer X223WB 22 Widescreen LCD DVI (HDCP) 5ms 2500:1), when you can see them side by side, it's undeniable - a CRT has a wider colour range (ie. richer more saturated colours in a darkly lit room) than an LCD. And it's nothing to sneeze at. It's a huge difference.

Side by side, classic Thief on a CRT in a dark room looks warm and atmospheric and beautiful. Same game, same room, on an LCD, makes me wonder why I'm playing a game with such shit polygonal graphics. It really does look that different. If you could compare it yourself, I'm sure you would agree, as an avid thief fan who wants the game to look good.

It's a fundamental difference with the way they generate the picture.

LCDs have one big bright light behind them, shining through 3 different coloured plastic for each pixel, so you start with white, and then to create colour the individual LCD cells become more opaque and try to obscure the light. But they can never do a perfect job, meaning that in a dark room, your monitor will glow grey even if it is trying to do a completely black picture.

CRTs create the picture by shooting out the light to draw the picture. It starts with black (no light) and then actually shoots out light at you to create the colour. So darken the room, and any dark areas of the screen will be truely dark, this means a higher range of colour saturation, nothing is washed out.

Of course most people don't play Thief, and compare CRTs and LCDs in a fully lit room, and can't tell the difference. LCDs are sharper and better in every way except that one important feature - colour.

Actually those pictures that Mortem posted show it, but of course if you are looking at the photos on an LCD you will barely see the difference anyway! But I am looking at it through an LCD now and you can still see the difference a little bit.

http://mortemdesino.googlepages.com/LCD_Dark_SLlamp.JPG

Notice the CRT has richer tones, see how the red of the light stands out on the wall in the wood and the bed. Of course in the photo it looks subtle, and I myself thought this little difference couldn't mean much, but after playing the game for 10 minutes on each, it feels totally different... the LCD makes Thief feel flat, cold and boring.