The Dark Mod Forums

Computer Crippled by Virus

jdude

I'm trying to format my brother's computer because he has a virus which has basically rendered his computer useless. How do I know? Windows often locks up, firefox randomly opens with click here to download antivirus 2009 boxes when hooked to the internet, severe performance decrease, all previous rollback points have been deleted and are unable to turn back on to rollback the computer, sites like trendmicro and avg have been blocked as well as updates for virus scanners, there's some things on the startup you cannot get rid of no matter what you try and so on.

I insert the windows disk into his computer and boot from it and everything goes well. It enters the part which is DOS esque where it loads a bunch of stuff off the CD, then when it gets to the point where it says 'windows is starting up' it switches to a blue screen of death which states that:

"If this is the first time you've seen this screen restart and try again

If you have seen this screen before run chkdsk /f, or scan for virsues

Disconnect any new hardware you've connected and try again"

It says you've arrived on this screen to prevent system damage.

There's no way I can see getting around it to the format menu.

I tried booting in safemode with command prompt and typing in

"format c:\" but it came up with something along the lines of invalid must include -RAW

I've tried scanning for viruses but AVG seems screwed up and since I cannot connect normally using the internet it's quite useless and comes up with nothing. I've tried deleting a ton of programs, clearing out the temp and local folders, ect ect ect...

Can someone help me all I need is a format!

blue screen of death which states that:

"If this is the first time you've seen this screen restart and try again

If you have seen this screen before run chkdsk /f, or scan for virsues

Disconnect any new hardware you've connected and try again"

It seems this is a particularly nasty virus. That screen should only show up if you've got a LOT of bad sectors on your hard drive. The same thing happened to me not long ago because of a neodymium magnet on my desk.

I booted up an Ubuntu Live CD, mounted my HD, Mounted my external drive (DevMake is STILL a beast), and saved what I could. Then... I did a "Destructive Format." through the Ubuntu Installer(Regular erasing just puts <IGNORE THE FOLLOWING> tags, destructive actually kills every single 1 and 0.)

Edited by Mortem Desino

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I did a "Destructive Format." through the Ubuntu Installer(Regular erasing just puts <IGNORE THE FOLLOWING> tags, destructive actually kills every single 1 and 0.)

a similar thing to that is "Dban" or Darik's Boot and Nuke.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I just tried running Ubutntu 7.10 I had it on a CD.

After clicking setup and run Ubuntu It says something along the lines of:

[130.1235123] Sector to much for ___ to handle

Or something like that I'm sorry I forget and my brother is sleeping so I cannot go and look at it right now.

Quickly a screen pops up for .1 of a second, to fast for me to read then it starts showing this and nothing happens until I hit the computer's off button at which point the installation cancels:

1000507dt4.th.jpg

Is Ubuntu Live different than Ubuntu 7.10?

Not at all; "Live" just means that it can boot and unload into RAM for temporary access.

Maybe I should have been more specific: shove the CD in your drive and boot from it: a menu should allow you to "Run Ubuntu without installing"

gparted-3.png

All the "Live CD" does is load all the bare-bones of Ubuntu into your RAM for temporary access.

All you need to do, then, is run "gparted" in Ubuntu's adinistrative tools. I don't remember the exact term, but it should be something like a "Secure Erase" or "Slow Format" to make it destructive (Slow, but very effective.)

Edited by Mortem Desino

Well, as much as I hate "computer places," They might be your last defense since I, myself, can't access your brother's PC.

Just be prepared to hear the most likely diagnosis: "Your hard drive is shot, too many bad sectors, you'll have to buy a new one."

Edited by Mortem Desino

Malwarebytes is pretty good. Some time ago, I also had those antivirus 2009 screens popping up. Malwarebytes was the only thing that could remove it. Other programs (even my virus scanner) didn't even recognise the virus or were unable to remove it.

Yes, same issue here. I got the antivirus 2009 crap off of a bad torrent...although it didn't show up immediately, it was a day or two later before things got really crazy. I ran a couple of different antivirus programs, and adaware 2008....neither caught any of it. Malwarebytes cleaned everything out though, and restored my system performance.

This same spyware was on my brother's friend's laptop. I installed AVG in safemode and ran a scan in console mode. Than I was able to actually boot back into regular windows, update and rescan.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Some of the nastier variants of the Vundo trojan can't be found by MalwareBytes. Yet it is still the best free spyware prog, along with Kaspersky. If you can shell out a few bucks, Spyware Doctor is the most thorough out of 20 or so virus/malware apps I've tested.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Have you tried formatting from DoS? From the command prompt you type deltree /y c:\*.* and it generally deletes everything and anything from your hard drive (or at least in the C: partition). A word of caution though, i havent actually tried this before myself only read about it.

I too have had lots of trouble formatting on occasion. Particularly with update versions of windows and especially with Vista. I have an update version of Vista and it seems it will never format from DoS whilst a current version of Vista is installed; it runs through all the loading crap then goes into windows anyway. It says to install the OS from the existing operating system. If you're having the same problem it might be beneficial to boot from a startup CD of Windows Xp or even Windows 98; as these will allow you to format your hard drive from DoS and then install said version of windows. After that you can always install Vista. Failing that i'm not sure what you could do, generally i would think it pretty rare for a virus to affect MS-DoS these days but there are some that can; and if thats the case its gonna be hard to fix.

deltree /y c:\*.*

Yep, that'll basically 'recycle bin' everything in C:/

If you've got a finicky hard drive that's very useful.

I've usually just stuck to formatting by booting up a PartitionMagic CD or using gparted in my Mandrake Linux Partition. It's probably my fault for having to use mixed hardware (FRANKENSTEIN COMPUTER). It's as cheap as free, but rather touchy.

deltree is not a valid internal or external command, patch or batch file.

Oh dear. :mellow:

edit:

From windows 2000 onwards the deltree was replaced by RD command, however upon running RD c:\ /s /q It stops when it hits a file which is in use which is very disappointing.

Are you doing this command from the MS-DoS command prompt or the command prompt within Windows? It seems odd that there would be files in use if you're doing it in Dos because windows shouldn't have had a chance to load up yet. When you first switch your computer on start hitting F8 at the bios and POST screens before windows starts loading, to get a bunch of options; choose the command prompt option and try the RD command in there before windows has loaded.

Are you doing this command from the MS-DoS command prompt or the command prompt within Windows? It seems odd that there would be files in use if you're doing it in Dos because windows shouldn't have had a chance to load up yet. When you first switch your computer on start hitting F8 at the bios and POST screens before windows starts loading, to get a bunch of options; choose the command prompt option and try the RD command in there before windows has loaded.

There is really no true dos in windows 2000 through xp though. Why not download a windows 98 startup disk, and get into dos that way. Should be able to easily do whatever you want then.

There is really no true dos in windows 2000 through xp though. Why not download a windows 98 startup disk, and get into dos that way. Should be able to easily do whatever you want then.

This is probably the best bet, seeing as you have the option to format your hard drive through the dos setup program. And the startup disks arent all that large either.

What are you guys doing with the DOS window? You can erase or format partitions in Windows xp setup just as fine, or doesn't this work for you?

No it doesn't work I get an error window when the setup starts regardless of OS used. It turns out after bringing it to the store that ACER uses some kind of on-disk recovery instead of supplying us with a install CD! This made it unable to format this computer :angry: Why do they do this stupid stuff!!!

No it doesn't work I get an error window when the setup starts regardless of OS used. It turns out after bringing it to the store that ACER uses some kind of on-disk recovery instead of supplying us with a install CD! This made it unable to format this computer :angry: Why do they do this stupid stuff!!!

You can always nuke the entire partition table and get rid of these partitions.

As for why, easy, they save cost. :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax