The Dark Mod Forums

Bug: loss of mouse control...

Steps to reproduce:

1> Right click on the 3D view so that you can move the camera around with your mouse

2> Wait for the autosave to save the map

3> Observe the shenanigans

After this happens I can't get the mouse control back to normal so I have to save and exit

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

sometimes what happens to me is the mouse will be held down, even though I took my finger off of the button. But I'll move the pointer onto the 3d or grid, and it starts moving around as if I were holding down the button.

To fix I move it on and off the windows and keep clicking till I get it goes back to normal.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

sometimes what happens to me is the mouse will be held down, even though I took my finger off of the button. But I'll move the pointer onto the 3d or grid, and it starts moving around as if I were holding down the button.

To fix I move it on and off the windows and keep clicking till I get it goes back to normal.

Hey Happy, if you have any steps that might help us reproduce this error consistently could you add them to the tracker?

Here's the link: http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1614

Hey Happy, if you have any steps that might help us reproduce this error consistently could you add them to the tracker?

Here's the link: http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1614

Hmmm..

when I get back home, I'll try reproducing that.

Somethings I notice that help it get into this bug state is:

The windows media player window at the taskbar, when it pops up once a new song starts.

That tells me that it seems to be some other window interrupting the DR windows thats causing the problems.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Hmmm..

when I get back home, I'll try reproducing that.

Somethings I notice that help it get into this bug state is:

The windows media player window at the taskbar, when it pops up once a new song starts.

That tells me that it seems to be some other window interrupting the DR windows thats causing the problems.

At the time this occurs, do you have your mouse in the 3D window and are "looking around" with it in the 3D world? If some other window then steals mouse focus and even moves the mouse ptr (bad application! bad programmer!) that could mean DR thinks you are still in the 3D window, but the mouse ptr is actually outside it.

(Moving the mouse VERY fast sometimes gives me the same effect)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

At the time this occurs, do you have your mouse in the 3D window and are "looking around" with it in the 3D world? If some other window then steals mouse focus and even moves the mouse ptr (bad application! bad programmer!) that could mean DR thinks you are still in the 3D window, but the mouse ptr is actually outside it.

(Moving the mouse VERY fast sometimes gives me the same effect)

Yes. Thats usually when it happens. I'll be looking around my map and I'll try to right click again to stop the camera, but it still thinks its in the mouselook mode. And I'll move it to the 2d grid and it too moves with the mouse.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Yes. Thats usually when it happens. I'll be looking around my map and I'll try to right click again to stop the camera, but it still thinks its in the mouselook mode. And I'll move it to the 2d grid and it too moves with the mouse.

That's exactly the problem I have, I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

I wonder if we can fix this though, because I only get this when the autosave saves the map.

I wonder if we can fix this though, because I only get this when the autosave saves the map.

Maybe there is a windows setting that says "move the mouse ptr to the button when a dialog appears" and you ticked it?

Also, @greebo: is it possible to detect very sudden very fast mouse movements and stop the 3D window then? Or somehow find out that it lost focus?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah, autosave might be doing that with that progress bar popup.

Also, this seems to happen more on a touchpad.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Also, this seems to happen more on a touchpad.

In my experience touchpads are more susceptible to accidentally generating fast mouse movements than ordinary mice are, for a few reasons.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

So two potential candidates for this would be:

A.)Sudden, fast mouse movements

And

B.)Another window, poping up and messing up the mouse look in the camera/2d grid.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I think it must be the second option. Just today I started up DR and I started moving around in the top view before it had time to fully load and the entity window popped up over where I had clicked the right mouse button down. Low and behold the mouse was stuck in the window!

So I held tab and it fixed itself :)

So I held tab and it fixed itself :)

Hmmm.

I'll have to try that next time. Add that to the tracker.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|