The Dark Mod Forums

12 New underwater overlays & surfaces to match

Fidcal

I've commited 12 new underwater guis and 12 new overlay defs using Dram's new method where the gui name is added as a spawnarg to the water entity. The guis have different colours and thicknesses of murk. The images committed are tiny - only 3 needed and each is only 64 x 64. These can also be used to complement water surface textures so the surface murk matches that underwater. There is a new test map test/water_murk2.map. This has 12 side tanks and 4 larger corner tanks. It's reasonably lit with a few models thrown in and the player has a lantern (I think I saw an 'acquired' message at start so that may need fixing?)

The guis range through eg, green_thinmurk, midmurk, thickmurk, and the same for blue, greengrey, and bluegrey, 12 in all. Default is green_thinkmurk.

The method used to match the surface is an extra patch at the surface with the same material as the gui uses. I used this with angua's water_green, water_colored (which is really uncolored, ie, grey) and I added a new variant water_blue which is a pale smoky blue I guess. I hoping one day someone might find a way to merge these into one texture def but I can't see how.

So, the side tanks uses the water_colored surface (uncolored) with the various new overlays both at the surface and as underwater overlay. These each have a different alpha to give the different transparency/murk. There is enough colour in the new textures to colour the surface but also tested in the four bigger corner tanks is water_green and water_blue surfaces with various combinations to give a richer colour if needed.

The new overlays can also be used just as a flat plain water surface. I'm not sure if they need something adding like 'water' to the def if so.

I'll document all this on the wiki eventually but basically mappers:

Create water entity

Give it water_colored surface

Edit the default gui spawnarg if needed shown in the editor to the colour/murk you want.

Make a patch from the water body and move it to the surface

Give it the same colour/murk texture as the gui.

Comments welcome if anyone wants to test. I've not given a thorough test myself yet. I'm hoping these might be good enough for Release 1 as the basic Dark Mod default but I'm sure in the future we can improve on water. Maybe after release someone outside will have some bright ideas to contribute.

Very nice stuff. :)

The water_colored texture is set up to use the _color spawn arg, so you could give it any color you want (although the transparency is fixed and the colors tend to look a bit washed out).

I just went through both test maps, those are very nice.

I like the vareity and visibility differences.

Nice job :-)

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|