The Dark Mod Forums

New internal test version

I've uploaded new pre-release test versions of DarkRadiant, for both x64 and Win32 targets. There were some changes to load/save and prefab handling, that's why I'd rather test such a package internally before posting this in the public forums.

Get the package here:

Win32: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/d....10pre1.exe.zip

Win64: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/d...re1.x64.exe.zip

(Tels' server doesn't allow hosting exe installers, that's why I zipped them up.)

Please test this in terms of map file handling robustness (save/load/import/region etc.) and report back if anything strange happens.

Note to Win32 users: this is with the new GTK+ 2.14.5 binaries again, which are reported to cause problems on some systems. I'll try again anyway, maybe something was amiss the last time. So keep your eyes open for the "viewport lockup" issue as reported in the other thread.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question about the prefab previews.

Does it only show up on the preview window if it is within the origin at the time of saving it as a prefab? Because some of my prefabs aren't showing up in the window.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Something odd just happened. This is my second time loading up my map in this build, and it looks like it added layers from a few of my other maps and put them in here. I'm not sure why its doing that, these maps have different names.

Any ideas?

Anyone else experience this?

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Crap.

The bad thing is I just noticed that I used some GTK+ 2.12 features for the EntityInspector spawnarg help display, as posted in the other thread. I didn't notice that before until I tried using the old GTK+ 2.10 binaries, which fails.

There's no easy replacement for these new functions, so I'll have to think about what to do now.

Something wrong here. In the Help 'About' I see v.0.9.9 x64 and the build date is shown as 30 Dec and no image in the prefabs so I'm looking at an earlier version. The installer was named darkradiant-0.9.10pre1.x64. I installed over my existing install. I'll try deleting the folder and start again.

OK, installed afresh into an empty folder and the exe file is still 31 Dec. and the same 'about' info. So this looks like the wrong build in that link. I'll try the 32 bit version.

Just gets more and more confusing. I download the 32 bit version. Extract it but can't see it in my download folder. I refresh and check but no. Try to extract again and WinRar says 'overwrite?' so where is it? Then searching further at the top I see two FOLDERS - one is named with the 32 bit exe file name and the other is the 64 bit exe file name. Inside the 64 bit folder is the REAL (I think) 64 bit version yet WinRar also extracted an exe separately with the wrong build in it???? Maybe some glitch with WinRar but I've extracted hundreds of files this way over the years - just opened it and selected Extract to and accepted the default path and name.

Anyway, I'll now try the 64 bit from the funny exe folder.

Something wrong here. In the Help 'About' I see v.0.9.9 x64 and the build date is shown as 30 Dec

Note that the build date in the About dialog is not updated unless I do a full rebuild from source. During ordinary development, I just rebuild the files that have changed and the date might stay the same for a while.

First quick look at the prefab viewer and it looks very good.

Default zoom seems to close so if it is possible to change that I think it would be better to be further out and zoom in on a small object than too close because most prefabs won't be small.

Rotation always seems to be around the base of the prefab never its centre yet all the ones I've saved have been centred at 0 0 0. So this makes it not so good as revolving around its centre. The view is effectively centred on nothing and say, a tall chimney stack rotates around it. I keep trying to drag it to the centre but I don't think it will.

Cannot get the text to show in the one test I did. It showed in entity inspector but not in the prefab preview. Many prefabs I looked at did not have any worldspawn so if we use this method then developers may need to just include a small nodraw cube.

Also getting some resizing of the prefab dialog irritations as it goes from showing the image window to say a folder selection where this none. I need to look at that again to see what is happening. It might be better to always show the image window.

I think there was something else to test but I'll have to look around later - I think it might be that changed model bug. Don't know if there is anything else new to test. I'll check later.

Note that the build date in the About dialog is not updated unless I do a full rebuild from source. During ordinary development, I just rebuild the files that have changed and the date might stay the same for a while.
OK, reading this after it is possible that it did extract the correct build and I think I only quickly looked in the prefab dialog and not seeing an image I assumed it was the old build. At that point I hadn't realized the image view only showed when a prefab was selected. Yet, the exe was dated Dec. Now I've extracted from the exe inside the folder it is dated correctly. Odd though because there is no folder inside the zip. Main suspect is that WinRar has a bug. I think this might be a 64-bit version - or at least a Vista version - so might not be so well used as the one I use on my XP.

Can you try to reproduce that? Are you saying that layers are "remembered" between map loads somehow?

All I did was load my map, and it somehow added in other layers from other maps. I'll try loading other maps and seeing what happens.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

HC: If you are saving prefabs then the layers are saved with it by default. If you then import that prefab into another map it includes all the layers from the other map. I believe that layers were never intended to be saved with prefabs but just part of the main save routine. I believe there are a couple of problems - one is it loads all the layers from the other map even if none them were used in connection with the prefab. Secondly I think they may be empty anyway. I'm only going on memory from weeks ago and I never studied it as I'd always believed that function was to be removed.

The only prefab I use in this map is the skybox.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I have another pre-release package ready for review. I'd like to release DarkRadiant 0.9.10 the next weekend, so please test this guys.

Get the package here:

Win32: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/d....10pre5.exe.zip

Win64: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/d...re5.x64.exe.zip

(Tels' server doesn't allow hosting exe installers, that's why I zipped them up.)

This is with the new GTK+ 2.14 binaries included, as the viewport lockup bug should be gone now.

I have another pre-release package ready for review. I'd like to release DarkRadiant 0.9.10 the next weekend, so please test this guys.

Get the package here:

Win32: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/d....10pre5.exe.zip

Win64: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/d...re5.x64.exe.zip

You can upload and download .EXE files, just direct links don't work :) If you link to the directoy, people can click the individual .exe files and it works.

If the "no-drive-by-malware-hosted-here" protection is a hassle, I think I can turn it of for the DR directory, although I would like to keep it on. Looking at the logs, there is too many stuff going round the net so I'd like the added bit of safety net :)

Btw, thanx for your work, greebo!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I think those crashes were just due to the complexity of that big map's brushwork.

Not used this [64-bit] version extensively yet but not seen the redraw of the main window problem so far.

The main problem I get is the same as for the last few weeks - when switching to another program and back the child windows all reverse order. What this means is that normally I have camera and orthoview on top and entity inspector, arbitary transform, entity list, surface inspector peeking out at the top of those window so I only bring them forward as needed. If I switch to another program and back then that is reversed and all the child windows are on top of the camera and orthoview. If I switch again then they are reversed again.

That is a nuisance but more so is that if I happen to have a temporary dialog open that is positioned over the main camera or orthoview, eg, the open dialog, light inspector, import prefab etc. then when I switch back it is hidden behind the camera or orthoview and there is nothing I can do but use Task Manager to close DR and start again. Switching to other programs and back reverses the other windows but not the dialog which remains hidden and inaccessible. Sometimes Esc works but not always (don't know why) mostly DR is focused into that dialog and I can't reach it. I cannot minimize or move the camera or orthoview because the dialog is open.

As for the last problem you mentioned, there is probably not much I can do about it - but I found that minimising DarkRadiant and maximising it again usually brings the modal dialog window to the front again.

I haven't noticed the window order messed up when switching applications on my end yet.

I can't minimize the main window when a dialog is open. Except maybe from another program. Most I can probably do is move all such dialogs high so their title bar will be visible. An easier way might be if I leave a tiny gap between camera and ortho. I'll try that.

Ah yes thanks - I'd forgotten that way. And yes,it does reveal the dialog. See how it goes then.

In related news...

There does seem to be some 'lag' when selecting different windows before focus is transferred. For example, say I'm using the mouse to navigate in the camera view. Then I want to click on entity inspector which is peeping out of the top of ortho view. I click it but it will not come to the top. I have to click ortho view then try again. But often I have to click ortho 2 or 3 times almost as if the other window is reluctant to release the focus. So generally moving between windows is difficult.