The Dark Mod Forums

package for intreped (or source)

imaginaryboy

I was playing around with trying to get darkradiant to work without much success, so I thought I'd post here to see if there were other packages around.

On the wiki, there is an ubuntu repository with packages for gutsy & hardy, but nothing for intrepid, and AFAIK no source packages.

Could someone compile a new package, or at least post a source package; that may still be better than tracking down the older libraries.

Thanks

There is an interpid .deb package as well in the meantime, but I haven't had time to update the website yet.

@Tels: I think your server is already capable of handling that, isn't it? Could you post some instructions here?

Does the Hardy package not work on Intrepid also? I am surprised if the dependencies are that specific; normally you can use packages that are one or two distributions older than yours.

If you want to build it yourself, the easiest way is to checkout the latest SVN and run dpkg-buildpackage.

There is an interpid .deb package as well in the meantime, but I haven't had time to update the website yet.

@Tels: I think your server is already capable of handling that, isn't it? Could you post some instructions here?

I am not exactly sure what you mean, are the instructions at:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Repository

not enough? As far as a source package goes, or adding Intrepid that should be easily possible.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Edit: I do have a virtualbox here with Kubuntu 7.10 installed, I could copy it, update it to 8.10 and compile DR for Intrepid. However, I am slightly ill atm and not in a good shape to work on the computer for longer than a few minutes...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

No, these should definitely be enough. ;)

:) I was about to clone and update my virtual box and compile a package. Do you want to do that instead?

:) I was about to clone and update my virtual box and compile a package. Do you want to do that instead?

Managed to clone the virtual box disk image (apparently you MUST be in .VirtualBox, not in .VirtualBox/VDI to do so..*sigh).

Now updating the machine, will take a while, then I can compile a new package.

Edit: Rats, I forgotten the password... :(

Does the Hardy package not work on Intrepid also? I am surprised if the dependencies are that specific; normally you can use packages that are one or two distributions older than yours.

If you want to build it yourself, the easiest way is to checkout the latest SVN and run dpkg-buildpackage.

I was able to install the 64-bit hardy package, but it installed as broken. I think there were issues with one or two libs, i.e. it's linked against (from memory) libGLEW 1.3, and I only have version 1.5.

I probably could track down some older versions, but if there's going to be a binary package soon, I can wait for that rather that clutter my system. Or if there's a source package in the repo, then it shoudn't be too hard to use apt-get to grab the sources and build dependencies, but I'm still fumbling my way around dpkg, so it may be tricker for me without that.

Thanks for your help!

I was able to install the 64-bit hardy package, but it installed as broken. I think there were issues with one or two libs, i.e. it's linked against (from memory) libGLEW 1.3, and I only have version 1.5.

I probably could track down some older versions, but if there's going to be a binary package soon, I can wait for that rather that clutter my system. Or if there's a source package in the repo, then it shoudn't be too hard to use apt-get to grab the sources and build dependencies, but I'm still fumbling my way around dpkg, so it may be tricker for me without that.

Thanks for your help!

I could easily compile a new package when I'd remember the password to the virtualbox image. Erm. :blush: Since it completely escapes me and I can't seem to find it written down anywhere, I need to setup a new build system. Might take a few hours, but I can't promise I finish it today.

I am currently running a build of a source package, expect that to be there in an hour or so. Scratch that, I can only build source package for 8.04. Standby for a new VirtualBox image :)

And sorry that we didn't do this before, the repository is brand-new and we had not yet more than a few test users :)

Okay, the repository contains now a 32bit version of DR 0.9.9-1 for Intrepid.

In case you want to compile it for yorself, you can simple follow these instructions:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...piling_in_Linux

Okay, the repository contains now a 32bit version of DR 0.9.9-1 for Intrepid.

In case you want to compile it for yorself, you can simple follow these instructions:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...piling_in_Linux

Sorry, no luck yet.

I installed the package, but it looks like it seems to have problems loading some modules; maybe I don't have enough 32 bit libs:

/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so

/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiogconf.so

/usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgioremote-volume-monitor.so

darkradiant: ../include/imodule.h:227: IModuleRegistry& module::RegistryReference::getRegistry()

: Assertion `_registry' failed.

Abort (core dumped)

I also checked out the trunk and tried building that, but only got so far:

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `mainframe.cpp', needed by `darkradiant-main

frame.o'. Stop.

make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/doom/darkradiant/radiant'

make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/doom/darkradiant'

make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/doom/darkradiant'

make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2

Sorry, no luck yet.

I installed the package, but it looks like it seems to have problems loading some modules; maybe I don't have enough 32 bit libs:

Do you have a 64bit distribution? I am afraid the 32bit package I build won't work then, anyway. (How did you manage to install it, btw? It shouldn't have been included in the list of possible install candidates!)

I also checked out the trunk and tried building that, but only got so far:

Can you please try to revert it with:

svn update -r4021

and try again? There were lately some changes, but revision 4021 should compile fine.

Do you have a 64bit distribution? I am afraid the 32bit package I build won't work then, anyway. (How did you manage to install it, btw? It shouldn't have been included in the list of possible install candidates!)

Can you please try to revert it with:

svn update -r4021

and try again? There were lately some changes, but revision 4021 should compile fine.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to try, even though there were no candidates, so I grabbed the .deb and installed with dpkg --force-architecture. Now I built my own dep from r4021, which is working OK.

BTW, is there a simple way to keep it from locking the sound device? Maybe to disable sound at runtime, or just only lock the device when it's using it?

I figured it wouldn't hurt to try, even though there were no candidates, so I grabbed the .deb and installed with dpkg --force-architecture.

Don't. Never do this. It won't work. The architecture check is there for a reason. :)

Now I built my own dep from r4021, which is working OK.

Good to hear. Since you need a 64bit package, we obviously need to build these, too. Atm I am not at home, so don't have access to my virtualbox there, so need to setup everything again on my laptop. Might take a while, but since it already works for you, I guess we can take our time :)

BTW, is there a simple way to keep it from locking the sound device? Maybe to disable sound at runtime, or just only lock the device when it's using it?

It should actually not access the sound device raw, but use some sound manager so the sound device can be shared. Best would be to file a bug report on the tracker:

http://bugs.angua.at/login_select_proj_pag...report_page.php

You probably don't have an account yet, so I can submit it instead for you. Greebo, what are the chances that the sound issue is actually fixable? :)

I never noticed any sound issue in my Linux box, so the chances are as high as me being able to reproduce the problem. If I can't reproduce it, I can't work on it, it's as simple as that (apart from the time issue).

Technically, DarkRadiant is using OpenAL's interface to play sounds, so I don't see why it should lock the device.

I never noticed any sound issue in my Linux box, so the chances are as high as me being able to reproduce the problem. If I can't reproduce it, I can't work on it, it's as simple as that (apart from the time issue).

Technically, DarkRadiant is using OpenAL's interface to play sounds, so I don't see why it should lock the device.

Just tested it on my system, started DR, run Amarok and let it play music, add a s_shader property to some random entity, select a sound and press "Play" and I heard both sounds together. So it works here, too. :)

I wonder if the libs are supposed to lock the device, and share the lock. In that case, it's probably only reproduceable on a 64-bit system; maybe the different libraries aren't playing together nicely.

Do you seen any problems with just delaying opening the device until it's needed? That would help me, since I haven't needed it yet. :)

Index: plugins/sound/SoundPlayer.cpp
========================================
===========================
--- plugins/sound/SoundPlayer.cpp       (revision 4021)
+++ plugins/sound/SoundPlayer.cpp       (working copy)
@@ -33,6 +33,7 @@

// Constructor
SoundPlayer::SoundPlayer() :
+       _initialized(false),
       _context(NULL),
       _buffer(0),
       _source(0),
@@ -40,7 +41,11 @@
{
       // Disable the timer, to make sure
       _timer.disable();
-
+}
+  
+// Defered setup
+void SoundPlayer::Initialize()
+{
       // Create device
       ALCdevice* device = alcOpenDevice(NULL);

@@ -131,6 +136,8 @@
                       alDeleteBuffers(1, &_buffer);
                       _buffer = 0;
               }
+       } else if (!_initialized) {
+               Initialize(); //defered intialization
       }

_timer.disable();
Index: plugins/sound/SoundPlayer.h
========================================
===========================
--- plugins/sound/SoundPlayer.h (revision 4021)
+++ plugins/sound/SoundPlayer.h (working copy)
@@ -12,6 +12,10 @@

class SoundPlayer
{
+       // Are we set up yet?  Defer initialisation until we play something.
+       bool _initialized;
+  
+
       ALCcontext* _context;

// The buffer containing the currently played audio data
@@ -27,7 +31,9 @@
public:
       // Constructor, initialises the AL utitilites
       SoundPlayer();
+       void Initialize();

+
       /** greebo: Destroys the alut context
        */
       ~SoundPlayer();

I have updated the repository with DR packages for 0.9.10 for:

* hardy 8.04 32bit

* hardy 8.04 64bit

* intrepid 8.10 64bit

Other versions can be done, but I need to setup new virtualboxes for that, so please post here if you want another OS or system version.

I have updated the repository with DR packages for 0.9.10 for:

* hardy 8.04 32bit

* hardy 8.04 64bit

* intrepid 8.10 64bit

Other versions can be done, but I need to setup new virtualboxes for that, so please post here if you want another OS or system version.

I could use intrepid 64-bit; I just checked the repository, and didn't see anything new for intrepid.