The Dark Mod Forums

New Concept Art -- Builder Guard

Springheel

Here is a low-detail concept sketch for our Builder guards. Their armour has more metal in it than any other group, which I think is appropriate. This is based heavily on the concept sketches for T1. I still need to come up with the symbol for the chest plate...I'm trying to combine a hammer with either an anvil or cog. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestion.

concept%20builder.jpg

I like what I see so far :)

If you artist guys are using lots of reference material from the appropriate time periods, and making design desicions based on the Thief world that we want, I'm happy.

Just as a suggestion - have you thought about adding bolts or screws to the logo, if you're having trouble putting a hammer with one other thing, some little things like bolts could give you more options to arrange things to look nice.

After we come up with a design, we should read some "meaning" into it, eg, the cog surrounds the base of the hammer, to represent its power that spreads over everything... etc. so the Builders have more things to write about.

I say he needs some iron on the shoulders! Where are the awesome Hammerite shoulder plates?

Also the Hammerites are more of a Knigtly/Roman cult if anything.

Think more of medieval/Roman armour instead of the late 16 century stuff.

Flames on the armour perhaps?

Note the similarities of the Hammerite T1 concept art to Roman armour:

http://thief-thecircle.com/media/concepts/...tch-hammers.jpg

img1.gif

armour.gif

If my scanner starts working I'll draw some serious concept art, but the USB port is broken alas!

Let me see what the Imperium hath in the regard of logos:

hamicon.png

redban2.jpg

shiny5.jpg

Edited by Alexius
empiread3b2.png

Good job on the builder concept, Springheel -- and thanks for posting the historic reference material, Alexius.

Hey Springheel - I added a new folder to the DarkMod FTP area called "Art-ConceptDrawings," and within that folder added a "Springheel" folder and a "Darkness_Falls" folder. This gives us our own separate playgrounds to keep track of stuff in without getting confused. Alexius, if you'll be doing concept drawings and need webspace, feel free to add a folder there. We could add other folders, too, if other artists come on board.

I wanted to keep only drawings in there, but realistically we may want to re-title the folder and morph into more of a Art-ConceptArtwork area.

You guys may already have webspace and don't care, but I needed the webspace.

I don't really use the ftp, DF, but thanks.

Alexius, I disagree about the Hammerites having Roman influence. In the concept art the armour is decidedly late medieval, with full breastplates on both figures, and metal greaves and skirt on the other. Other than the colour and the presence of a tunic, I see nothing Roman about them. Since the Builders are metal workers, and technologically the most advanced group, it seems to make sense to me that their armour should be both advanced and full of heavy metal plates, rivets and the like.

I was wavering back and forth about the shoulder plates. I thought adding them might be a little TOO much armour for basic temple guards. I will probably do a more heavily armoured version for the elite guards, however. This concept isn't set in stone.

The logos are very helpful, thanks. I particularly like the idea of a hammer with a flame background, like the middle one. Fire would be right up there in Builder symbolism.

Edited by Springheel

they don't just guard temples.

They enfoced the laws within the city b4 the police was formed.

They also used to be the most powerfull foce in the City, long ago.

very arcane, very precursor, very heavily dressed on the shoulders

your concept sketch is wonderfull for a city guard, but a Hammerite has to have a more arcane uniform, with a square, or more open mask, a red cloak and shoulder armour.

Edited by Alexius
empiread3b2.png

they don't just guard temples.

They enfoced the laws within the city b4 the police was formed.

This might be true, but what is their function now? They guard the churches and the property owned by the church.

They also used to be the most powerfull foce in the City, long ago.

very arcane, very precursor, very heavily dressed on the shoulders

I don't know how you know this, but I'm going by the art that is actually in (or used by) the game. The T1/2 armour is late-medieval. The T3 armour is lighter and less modern. None of them look arcane to me.

a Hammerite has to have a more arcane uniform, with a square, or more open mask, a red cloak and shoulder armour.

Says who? None of the hammerite pictures I have ever seen have had them with cloaks. The T3 hammers did not have shoulder plates, and I'm not sure the T1/2 did either.

If you have access to some Thief reference pictures that I don't, please share them.

He 'knows' this, because he made it up as the Hammerite Imperium backstory.

Oh. Well that really has nothing to do with us, does it?

Anyway, that T1 concept art was pretty Roman, but I don't much go for Roman armour, and perhaps that's why it should stay T1 Concept Art.

I just got finished studying Roman armour for the last sourcebook I illustrated. Trust me, the T1 concept art is NOT Roman.

Really? I can see them fine here and at work. Anyone else having dificulty?

(I've posted the builder concept on the website too so you can see it there)

Lies. I didn't make it up.

I just know Thief 1 very well.

There's a few conversations in T1 that relate to Hammers being very powerful long time ago in the city.

No shoulder plates? and these are what?

andtheseare.jpg

Try carrying a heavy hammer on your shoulder or swinging it from your shoulder.

Chain mail isn't as good for such work.

You need some metal shoulder plates to support it!

More T1 concept art:

(look at the thick plating around the neck, once again so you don't break your neck with the hammer)

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/paint...darkposter2.jpg

Thief 3 Hammerite concept art-

(once again, heavy shoulder plating)

http://208.49.149.120/Files/ThiefSeries/t3...hammer-safe.jpg

There were no cloaks in game cause they were TOO LAZY to implement them, but there were cloaks in the T1 concept art.

Edited by Alexius
empiread3b2.png

The T3 hammers did not have shoulder plates, and I'm not sure the T1/2 did either.

No shoulder plates? and these are what?

I was talking about the characters in the games, not the concept art.

There are certainly shoulder plates in some of the concept art (although if that is actually metal in the t1 art then that figure would not be able to raise his arms). I'm not opposed to a version of our Builder guards with shoulder plates. However, I don't feel compelled to copy what has been done before. Our figures are supposed to look derivative, but not identical.

Here's another concept. He's a little more heavily-armoured. Perhaps an elite version?

concept%20builder2.jpg

I assumed the red cap WAS a helmet, but you could be right. I prefer your version, actually. I think what I'll do is have two different versions, a regular guard and an elite guard. I'm going to strip the chain mail from the guard, add your modifications, and add a couple small shoulder pieces (Alexius' argument about hefting hammers makes sense). The more heavily armoured figure I just posted will be the elite version.