The Dark Mod Forums

Writer, Coder, Modeler. In That Order

Guest Pathos

Preface: I've been in the modding scene since the early Doom 1 days and have seen through many projects, most (unfortunately) never reached completion. I have experience in nearly all the realms of modding, everything from level design to animation. However, my free time is very sporadic right now, as I'm just being changed to full-time status at NASA as a modeler/coder. As a result, I'm going to be pretty burned out on that stuff pretty soon, atleast doing it for fun.

As a result, I'd like to offer my services in the realm of writing. In my humble opinion, the thing that really held the Thief series together was the storyline - the worldsetting - the intrigue and half-whispered guesses at the plot. In the same way that Bungie's Marathon is still discussed, 10 years after the fact, I believe Thief could have the same results with its storyline.

Having come from so many different mods, some failed, some moderately successful, I can say with assurance: The Dark Mod is the most exciting mod I've seen in a while. However, as exciting as it may be, the thing that will really seperate it from the chaff is the story. I personally believe that if this mod was given a full, indepth, 100+ page storyline with hints and mythological references and hidden meanings it could propel it into the annals held by only a handful of other mods ever made. Many of those went on to successful retail careers. This could be the same.

As I mentioned before, I am a professional modeler and coder, but I don't have the time to offer those services to fit the mod's demands. I'd be happy to contribute them when needbe, but I am primarily offering my services as a writer. I watch the trailer and I ache to fill this gameworld with intrigue and pagan rituals and charred letters filched from purses alluding at something dark.

If you have use for me, please let me know. I'll try to check back here as often as I can, but as I said, my schdule is fairly full. Please, if possible, email me at writer@syntheticpathos.com

As I mentioned before, I am a professional modeler and coder, but I don't have the time to offer those services to fit the mod's demands. I'd be happy to contribute them when needbe, but I am primarily offering my services as a writer.

Concerning modelers we are pretty well established for now. That doesn't mean that it will stay so at all times, but for now this is not an urgent issue. :)

As for coding, we can use some help there, but for now I also think that it is not the most urgent topic, as we already got two new members where we have to see how they stand up.

That leaves us with writing. :) Personally I would love to see a dedicated writer who can do some good story. We already discussed a lot of ideas, but my personal opinion is, that a story can not be done as an afterthought or tacked on the mod. I think a good story will have to get as much attention as any other part of the mod have, and maybe even more, because this is what the final game is ultimately judged upon. If we only release a toolset this would be fine, but considering of making a campaign, a good story is really important.

I watch the trailer and I ache to fill this gameworld with intrigue and pagan rituals and charred letters filched from purses alluding at something dark.

It's good to hear that the trailer had so many different affects on people. :)

If you have use for me, please let me know. I'll try to check back here as often as I can, but as I said, my schdule is fairly full. Please, if possible, email me at writer@syntheticpathos.com

Well, I certainly will discuss it with my team. There are several question of course

How dedicated can you be when you say yourself that you don't have that much time?

What would that mean for our story?

Can you provide samples of earlier work, or come up with a sample within the next week? (Today is Tuesday so let's say latest until next Monday morning).

What information would you need from us to do this?

Gerhard

I forgot to add: I'm a professional Maya modeler and my coding of choice is VC.NET. So.. I'm glad to hear you don't have a pressing need for either of those jobs, but given that (from what I've seen) you those are the tools most employed by this project, I'd be happy to throw in whatever help in those areas that is needed. Random environmental objects, wildlife, whatever. I can do my own texturework, too. It's not the best but it works.

As for the writing: I think you're absolutely right. It cannot be left for the last minute. The writing, the worldsetting, everything... It all impacts how the rest of the work comes together. The character designs, the maps, everything. They all need to be interconnected so that it doesn't feel like there's this disconnect between the gameworld and the storyworld. The most immersive games (see: System Shock, Marathon, Thief, et al) are the ones where the story is completely inseperable from the rest of the game. And, in my opinion, those are the only games worth playing.

As for examples of my work: What's a better example than a made-to-order piece? I could easily show you things I've written previously, but they wouldn't "fit" the theme of this piece. I have stories and screenplays and theater plays written, but... Those are specialized work.

Tell me what you want, and how long. Characters names. Setting. Whatever. The more guidelines the better. And give me until next Wednesday - I'll have it done by then. I also need to know the style. I'm tempted to write it as a screenplay, as it would help the voiceactors and mappers pick out the tie-ins with their work. But I could just as easily write it as an expository novel or whatever the team's preference is.

To answer the question of time constraints: As I mentioned before, I'm working for NASA full-time in a couple months and right now I'm just finishing up my senior year as a Physics major. So, as a result, my free time is somewhat limited. However, the way I work is such that if I were to enlist myself as a modeler, I would have to drop out of school. I work on 3D models, nonstop, until they are perfect. This would work for miscellaneous models and things of that sort, but as a primary modeler it would be completely unsustainable. The same goes for coding. However, with writing, it's much more stop-and-start for me. I can write five pages, come back hours later, and pick up again without a problem. As a result, I'm convinced that I will be able to fulfill whatever demands a writing position would require. There are no doubts in that respect.

Oh, and one last note: I am a light-hearted kind of guy when I need to be, but I approach these projects the same way I approach my professional work: I take it extremely seriously. So if my tone seems somewhat stiff, that's only because I'm very excited in this project and I want to take it on professional terms.

Edited by Pathos

I forgot to add: I'm a professional Maya modeler and my coding of choice is VC.NET. So.. I'm glad to hear you don't have a pressing need for either of those jobs, but given that (from what I've seen) you those are the tools most employed by this project, I'd be happy to throw in whatever help in those areas that is needed. Random environmental objects, wildlife, whatever. I can do my own texturework, too. It's not the best but it works.

Well, we would have to see this first, but that's no real problem for now. :) Only thing we could need a hand in texturing, mapping (probably) and coding (has to be seen though). But nobody will force you to anything. :)

And, in my opinion, those are the only games worth playing.

IMO that is the only reason why Thief still has such a strong community after such a long time.

As for examples of my work: What's a better example than a made-to-order piece?

LOL. You are right. Just wanted to get an overview of your style and what you did so far. The problem with ordering a story is, that we have to agree on something first. As you can imagine that caused quite a stir, because we had some ideas and some even presented a story, but it is very hard to come up with everybod can agreee upon.

I guess I will make you a contributor and then we can discuss this in more detail. I don't want to talk to much about storie ideas on the public board, as this is one area where I wouldn't want to spoil anything. :) No problem with discussing algorithms or models, but certain things should be held back to have at least som surprises for our fans. :)

Tell me what you want, and how long. Characters names. Setting. Whatever. The more guidelines the better. And give me until next Wednesday - I'll have it done by then.

I will wait on soime feedback from some other members. So far they were positive but it was to short a time to get a good sample. I guess in the evening I can give you a more definite answer on that. Your timezone would be a help, so we can better plan.

Physics major.

Which area of physics? Can you also do some physics coding? That might be helpfull. It is not strictly required, just asking. We have other contacts who also have experience in D3 physics already, but of course having at least one teammeber would be preferable. :)

This would work for miscellaneous models and things of that sort, but as a primary modeler it would be completely unsustainable. The same goes for coding.

I can imagine that. If I have the feeling that an algorithm is not good enough I rather rip it apart and write it new, than releasing it knowing it is not as good as it could be. :)

Oh, and one last note: I am a light-hearted kind of guy when I need to be, but I approach these projects the same way I approach my professional work: I take it extremely seriously. So if my tone seems somewhat stiff, that's only because I'm very excited in this project and I want to take it on professional terms.

That's good to hear. We have a very good team so far, and the standard is also very high. I certainly prefer to work on a professional team than with a bunch of 3771 hax0r script kiddies. :) Makes live much more easier. :)

Gerhard

I'm awake right now due to an unpleasant case of the flu, so if you want to discuss specifics, feel free to AIM me.

To answer your questions:

I would be happy to send you some examples of previous things I've written for my own enjoyment. They're not posted anywhere but I could rectify that if you wanted.

And in relation to the made-to-order piece, it doesn't have to be something even related to the game. Just give me something to demonstrate my skills and I'll work with that.

I'm currently just a general Physics major - my university doesn't have specializations. Though I've taken all the way through Thermo/Stat Mechanics and Analytical Dynamical Systems, so I could probably help with Physics coding. I've not yet looked through the D3 Physics physics engine yet, but I definitely could.

I'm in the PST timezone. California, to be specific.

I'm awake right now due to an unpleasant case of the flu, so if you want to discuss specifics, feel free to AIM me.

Sorry to hear that. I have no AIM. Sent you PM about that. Don't use my MSN accounmt for mail though as I never check it.

And in relation to the made-to-order piece, it doesn't have to be something even related to the game. Just give me something to demonstrate my skills and I'll work with that.

I have to think about this. :)

I'm currently just a general Physics major - my university doesn't have specializations. Though I've taken all the way through Thermo/Stat Mechanics and Analytical Dynamical Systems, so I could probably help with Physics coding.

Actually that question was just my personal curiosity. :) I'm very curious.

I've not yet looked through the D3 Physics physics engine yet, but I definitely could.

I'm in the PST timezone. California, to be specific.

Thanks.

BTW: You should register on the board. Otherwise you can not become a member anyway. :)

Gerhard