The Dark Mod Forums

im interested in becoming : Beta Mapper

Retsaki

-I want to be a beta mapper

-I plan on releasing the first section of my map to the public and to show what I can do!

-The first section will contain an inn and the marketplace

-5 ai(4 guard patrols, 1 sitting)

-a few custom decals

-First section is due to be completed tommorow night or the next day depending on weather.

-Screenshots to come tommorow 3-4 pm est or earlier

-I like nutty bars.

- My HUD(for dark radiant) keeps disappearing and I think its because of the autosave..

Currently doing:

drawing a map

- Performance testing

- light testing

-gameplay testing

- minor details in tavern's jail

- inn room

- brainstorming ye olde english shortstories to put in the "bookstand" at the marketplace.

perhaps even one of the objectives on the 'list' that someone wants...

As said here is the first screenshot of Marketplace, please take note that I have only been mapping for doom for about 4 days and the only experience with mapping other than this is with warcraft 3.

well here they are!

preview1.jpg

on the roof of a building over looking the marketplace I wanted to add as much details that give it a lifelike look as possible. I've alot more work to do on the marketplace though. Could probably use alittle more lighting but not too much because you have to sneak around the marketplace looking for things on a 'list' -- that someone wants. This also means you need to sneak past guards in the marketplace rumage through lockboxes full of belongings and recent transactions.

preview2.jpg

this is a bad angle the tavern looks alot nicer..still needs alittle more detail and the chandelier is hooked to nothing but stone which looks odd in my opinion. If anyone really cares and would like a better picture of the tavern i'll get around to it. I also think the chandelier light is alittle bright.

Also you may notice that there is someone sitting in the tavern at this hour, don't mind him he's just a drunk. beat him if you want. I usually beat him to death then drag his body to death his life is meaningless to me, but perhaps that someone I mentioned wouldn't want anyone to die?

preview3.jpg

The latern light to the left is a bit too bright and the wall to the left of that light still needs details.

In the first public release the 'wall' will look like a house until I add more content and expand.

If you look closely enough you will see a barrel to the right full of apples...Yum!

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/Re...22-09-00-80.flv

fly through video for those who do not wish to navigate to the second page =)

- Retsaki

Edited by Retsaki

Sounds good, I'm excited. It's also good to know that you're not dismissing using your own 2D graphics (even if they might look 'fake')

My only critique so far is that all-nighters tend to kill my logical side, so be wary against easy-to-look-over mistakes such as leaks and "node without volume"s from complex patches or geometry.

Nope, I lied: another critique: Spend $25 on newegg for at least a total 1GB of ram. I used to run SL with 512mb, but not without many swears and shoe marks on my midtower. As soon as your map gets bigger and gains more details, your PC will probably start yelling at you. Minimum requirements for SL hold 1GB RAM for a reason! ;)

To answer your DR hud question with another question: are you running dual monitors? (Sometimes DR doesn't like multiple monitors) Also, what video card have you got? My Radeon 9100 used to get blank Ortho and Camera views in DR.

Best of luck!

I, too, love Nutty bars!

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Sounds good, I'm excited. It's also good to know that you're not dismissing using your own 2D graphics (even if they might look 'fake')

My only critique so far is that all-nighters tend to kill my logical side, so be wary against easy-to-look-over mistakes such as leaks and "node without volume"s from complex patches or geometry.

Nope, I lied: another critique: Spend $25 on newegg for at least a total 1GB of ram. I used to run SL with 512mb, but not without many swears and shoe marks on my midtower. As soon as your map gets bigger and gains more details, your PC will probably start yelling at you. Minimum requirements for SL hold 1GB RAM for a reason! ;)

To answer your DR hud question with another question: are you running dual monitors? (Sometimes DR doesn't like multiple monitors) Also, what video card have you got? My Radeon 9100 used to get blank Ortho and Camera views in DR.

Best of luck!

I, too, love Nutty bars!

Thanks!

and yes I have already been feeling the 512 at its limit =/and I have the funds to get ram its just i'll have to order it, newegg is a site of which I can purchase ram im guessing? =P

and currently I have been looking aggravatingly for a 'node without volume' that I cannot seem to find >_< my guess is its a patch problem ; its a very, very small patch that I added just for detail that im guessing is the cause! I was just about to see if it was the cause =P

if it is im either going to delete it or try and fix it which might take alot of time for one small detail.

Geforce 6200 graph card and I lied its 256 ram on the card =P

one compaq moniter

Edited by Retsaki

I usually don't care about those "Node without a volume" warnings and it didn't hurt me so far. These are harmless.

Yeah, I gave up on trying to find it lol

--

Detailing is going smoothly thus far ; at the moment I premade some hidden areas such as what you would find in Saint Lucia, but I sealed them off for the moment, because I want this map to be as non-linear as possible, and unsealing them would mean creating even more content which is not what I want to do at this present time.

EDIT*

Quick question my guards get stuck on the market stalls when chasing me, any idea what I could do to maybe make them a bit smarter? or will I have to redraw my market-square plans? =(

The guards chasing me do not have a patrol as of yet, but if they did would that even help?

Edited by Retsaki

Quick question my ai get stuck on the market stalls when chasing me, any idea what I could do to maybe make them a bit smarter? or will I have to redraw my market-square plans? =(

The guards chasing me do not have a patrol as of yet, but if they did would that even help?

trying covering the market stalls with monsterbrush =)

edit:lol *monsterclip*

is there a command/way(take it as thou wilt) to make rope static? so it just floats in air without any rope physics at all? so I can make it look as though the rope is tightly strung across alley ways? ect? sorta like what you seen in saint lucia?

I tried func_static all that does is make the rope disappear..

on a damper note =o

I wish people would comment and give me criticism already on the few screenshots i've posted, i'd be quite excited to finally have some feedback, i'll post more screenshots soon..and eventually i'll get around to compiling and uploading it once I finish a few things.

Edited by Retsaki

I think you might need to boost the brightness of the .jpgs a bit. I can't really make out much detail in those shots.

is there a command/way(take it as thou wilt) to make rope static? so it just floats in air without any rope physics at all? so I can make it look as though the rope is tightly strung across alley ways? ect? sorta like what you seen in saint lucia?

If you want the rope to be straight you could just make a cylinder and texture it with the rope texture (or cut and paste the ropes rom St. Lucia).

I think you might need to boost the brightness of the .jpgs a bit. I can't really make out much detail in those shots.

Yeah your right.

I've updated the map alot but I cant really get any good screenshots yet ingame because of a lack of ram, but today at like 6ish I ordered 2 1gb ram sticks a good deal too ; 40 dollars for both together, but I used overnight fedex delivery which increased it to 77 dollars total but I think it would be worth it if I could get some better screenshots ingame!

I'll increase the brightness on my ambient light and take as many screenshots as I can until my computer freezes..I think it may not be the 512 ram causeing me to freeze in-game but also visportals not working for I am not very good at placing them =/

I'll probably just create a cylinder and texture it with rope

Also what do you mean 'copy and paste ropes from st. lucia'?

EDIT>: ah wait, nevermind, I see what you mean, open up the st. lucia map and copy that rope?

I am going to bed now though; so I won't put up any screens til tommorow. Im dead tired.

Edited by Retsaki

Just taking a quick look they look cool. One suggestion: For the streetlights, try making the light texture tdm_lanternlight and see how that matches up with it.

I'll take another look at it when I have more time.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I'll increase the brightness on my ambient light and take as many screenshots as I can

You don't need to actually adjust the ambient light, just use some kind of photo editing program to boost the brightness and/or gamma of the screenshots.

You don't need to actually adjust the ambient light, just use some kind of photo editing program to boost the brightness and/or gamma of the screenshots.

Well don't you think its still alittle too dark?

I'll use photoshop...pretty sure you can but im no photoshop guru.

Just taking a quick look they look cool. One suggestion: For the streetlights, try making the light texture tdm_lanternlight and see how that matches up with it.

I'll take another look at it when I have more time.

Yeah.. i realised what you meant actually by light texture lol.

I haven't gone to bed yet im so brain dead but I cant sleep and I have to watch a little brother of mine..

Edited by Retsaki

all street lights have been useing laternlight by the way..

Oooh I see it now.

They look to be a bit stretched onto the wall.

I need to go bed too.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

About screenshot brightness: Are you using Doom to take the shot with? Is so they become darker than in-game. Alternatively you can use Fraps, much better imo.

The screenshots look good. The indoor tavern area is still a bit rough. The floor boards seem a big large, but that may just be me. The outdoor market area looks really good, I like :D

As said here is the first screenshot of Marketplace, please take note that I have only been mapping for doom for about 4 days

and the only experience with mapping other than this is with warcraft 3.

That's good progress for such a short time. Keep up the good work!

I did some warcraft 3 mapping too :) . Made a few maps for it.

That's good progress for such a short time. Keep up the good work!

I did some warcraft 3 mapping too :) . Made a few maps for it.

Thanks alot! :) I really have been trying hard I really like mapping too! and this editor is really easy to get into just like warcraft's! 

Currently i've been trying like crazy to find all Idmodel colisions found alot I didn't notice too but I still cant seem to find the cause of freezeing it may be my ram since the ram I bought was just shipped today since emart ships at 3 everyday and I shipped mine around 6ish yesterday..with kinda annoys me since I bought overnight Lol.

About screenshot brightness: Are you using Doom to take the shot with? Is so they become darker than in-game. Alternatively you can use Fraps, much better imo.

The screenshots look good. The indoor tavern area is still a bit rough. The floor boards seem a big large, but that may just be me. The outdoor market area looks really good, I like :D

Yes I was! and im thinking about just useing a video capture program of me mapping since I can't test it; though I could always ask someone else with a better computer anyone interested in beta testing ask me and i'll pm you my email.

it looks very good for a beginner, keep it up!
Thanks! your words mean alot! Edited by Retsaki