The Dark Mod Forums

im interested in becoming : Beta Mapper

Retsaki

I found the cause of the problem with performance its what the tutorial refers to as "internal bleeding" I got rid of all my visportals and got a few leaks afterwards which means this must of been the cause.

Damn leaks!

On a unrelated noted, I feel that I am spamming abit? am I?

Oh don't be! my work isn't even playable yet :(

Aha! success ! good news! I have a playable version! =)

here's the fraps of dark radiant ; please mute your volume if you don't want to listen to techno. Please remember to take note that some and most items are due for change such as the large plant behind the builder guard( I originally wanted to use city watch but I didn't like their ai and they would say "I know you're in here" which really destroys the atmosphere =/ since we are outside. I'm not too sure if builder guards say it though don't remember either way it should be changed to "I know you're around here somewhere or something" anyway....

Also I know the tavern notice and sign look ridiculous but I like them xD I will do my best to make them as detailed as possible and yes the 'notice' is not a decal but a brush. I have no real excuse for that heh..

Warning Music used is slightly loud.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/Re...22-09-00-80.flv

fraps of ingame footage coming as soon as I have working visportals.

It is playable but fraps can't get good frames until I make visportals

Edited by Retsaki

It is playable but fraps can't get good frames until I make visportals
This is something that every mapper should know from the beginning. Try to visportal your map as early as possible! It is difficult, especially in open areas, but very important as they are used for sound propagation and rendering.

Your map looks good. When you're ready you can have us a look at the map in game. :)

This is something that every mapper should know from the beginning. Try to visportal your map as early as possible! It is difficult, especially in open areas, but very important as they are used for sound propagation and rendering.

Your map looks good. When you're ready you can have us a look at the map in game. :)

Actually, I had them very early, but I had to delete them when I was finding leaks that visportals were covering up the tutorials refers to this as 'internal bleeding' ; basicly I went through and tried and tested every possible cause of low performance on the tutorial xD(or tried too) and thank you, i'm learning. :blush:

Actually, I had them very early, but I had to delete them when I was finding leaks that visportals were covering up the tutorials refers to this as 'internal bleeding'
It's sometimes not obvious why a portal doesn't work. Did you try the leak test as described on the wiki?

Also, the edges of a visportal surface must not be in the "void" and have to match up to or be enclosed in solid brushes.

It's sometimes not obvious why a portal doesn't work. Did you try the leak test as described on the wiki?

Also, the edges of a visportal surface must not be in the "void" and have to match up to or be enclosed in solid brushes.

Yeah I used that test to find all the leaks, and thanks for the tip, i'm having a rough time with visportals though and r_showportals 1 doesn't seem to work for me..

r_showportals only shows functional portals. If they are not correctly placed in the editor there is no visportal that this command would display.

Try to begin with a simple situation, like a room, and close it of from the rest of the map by putting portals in the windows and doors. If ALL these are set up correctly and the room is otherwise sealed it will be a seperate vis area and the portals should show up green/red with r_showportals.

r_showportals only shows functional portals. If they are not correctly placed in the editor there is no visportal that this command would display.

Try to begin with a simple situation, like a room, and close it of from the rest of the map by putting portals in the windows and doors. If ALL these are set up correctly and the room is otherwise sealed it will be a seperate vis area and the portals should show up green/red with r_showportals.

oh so both windows and doors should have there own visportal? aaah this must be my mistake..

thank you! 

Do you think its possible to seal off my marketplace?

Edited by Retsaki

oh so both windows and doors should have there own visportal?
They don't have to but visportals should be as small as possible. Other portals that are visible through a portal (from your point of view) are also active and cause the area they lead to to also be rendered. The smaller their area on the screen the better.

Do you think its possible to seal off my marketplace?
It's hard to tell from the screenshots but it doesn't look that complicated, so yes, it should be possible. Maybe just one big portal on top of it and a portal for every gate or alley leading outside.

They don't have to but visportals should be as small as possible. Other portals that are visible through a portal (from your point of view) are also active and cause the area they lead to to also be rendered. The smaller their area on the screen the better.

It's hard to tell from the screenshots but it doesn't look that complicated, so yes, it should be possible. Maybe just one big portal on top of it and a portal for every gate or alley leading outside.

well the video should of gave a better example than the screenshots and thats somewhat of what I thought to do, Thanks again Baal you're a huge help!

also

I'm not sure there would be a point in putting visportals in the tavern(besides sound propagation) since from what your saying since the visportals could be seen from outside meaning they'd be rendered...

which means; I would have to get rid of the tavern window I suppose, no big deal really.

Edited by Retsaki

I'm not sure there would be a point in putting visportals in the tavern(besides sound propagation)
Visportals are automatically opened and closed by their door entity (a closed door deactivates a portal even if it is in the players view).

They are also closed when they are outside the view (when the player has its back turned to the tavern, for example).

You can keep the tavern but you can consider closing the windows to limit the view. (EDIT: Thats what you meant. I missread something.)

Have you read the wiki articles about visportals and performance? You should really try to fully understand visportals.

Here's an article from ids site: iddevnet - visportals

Visportals are automatically opened and closed by their door entity (a closed door deactivates a portal even if it is in the players view).

They are also closed when they are outside the view (when the player has its back turned to the tavern, for example).

You can keep the tavern but you can consider closing the windows to limit the view. (EDIT: Thats what you meant. I missread something.)

Have you read the wiki articles about visportals and performance? You should really try to fully understand visportals.

Here's an article from ids site: iddevnet - visportals

I'm going to close the window and replace it with a model, I really need too since my recent activities in a new room have caused more performance issues to take care of. that or I messed up on the visportals I made, Visportaling is really the only thing I have a hard time doing for some reason =( 

Thanks for the site the more reference the better! :)

When I play test my map, the game will freeze in the marketplace, what normally causes this? I can't seem to find the cause. Once I figure that out all I really need to do is finish my objectives, make a map, and then pack the map and let others test it.

Also I figured out what causes my hud to disappear full screen mode, if I just keep dark radiant windowed I have no hud problems.

Edited by Retsaki

Building a big box around the map is good for testing while building but it shouldn't be in the final map. You can seal your marketplace by placing skyportal brushes on top of the outer walls and one on top of these. Think of the place as a big room; skyportals are as solid as normal brushes they just look like open sky.

You can also use monsterclip brushes to close an area only for AI (they don't seal against the void though). This will simplify AI path finding (but doesn't block the player) which is likely the cause of the crash.

Building a big box around the map is good for testing while building but it shouldn't be in the final map. You can seal your marketplace by placing skyportal brushes on top of the outer walls and one on top of these. Think of the place as a big room; skyportals are as solid as normal brushes they just look like open sky.

You can also use monsterclip brushes to close an area only for AI (they don't seal against the void though). This will simplify AI path finding (but doesn't block the player) which is likely the cause of the crash.

This for the most part, fixed my problems. I hope to release my map finally sometime soon..