The Dark Mod Forums

More movements?

Diego

I tried already, and was completely satisfied with those smooth motions :ph34r: . The only thing I don't like is the sound of steps, it sounds like clicking of shoes with heels and that is not acceptable for any thief. I know that there has to be some surface differentiation, but it could be more moderate. However it's only a small detail.

• 2 weeks later...
...and that small detail is going to be improved because we all don't like the steps either!

Heck I'd be happy if someone went through the config ini files and commented each variable,

ie. //this is the value for the volume of running footfalls

seta pm_stepvol_run "8"

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

ie. //this is the value for the volume of running footfalls

seta pm_stepvol_run "8"

You can get a descriptive text if you type the name of the CVAR in the console and press enter.

• 2 months later...

I like the idea of more movements (well, I did start this topic) but I was thinking on the simple ones, like moving along an edge (he can grab it already.) For me, the line that separates what's plausible for thief and what is not is somewhere between wall rebound and wall running. Wall running is very silly.. wall rebound is also silly, but not as much and it could be fun to have additional tools for climbing :D (climbing IS a major gameplay aspect in thief)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing that I didn't like about the SL demo (which in every other respect was fantastic), was the automatic mantling.

I remember a situation in the original thief where I was running from some guards in a dining hall only to have some more appear in front of me. While running, I jumped towards the table on my left, then immediately (as I touched the edge of the table) launched towards the doorway and the guards barely missed me with their swords. I can't do anything like this in DM as the automatic mantling kills the momentum I had when jumping towards an object.

Mantling already has it's own dedicated key, so is there or will there be a way to disable automatic mantling when using the space / jump key?

You still need jump mantling to reach higher ledges so it would have to be a toggle. I think you'd find it near-impossible to remember which mode you're in when it's an emergency. You could try to mainly keep it in no-auto mode but that would probably get annoying. Probably more annoying than the uncommon situation you describe. Only other thing I can think of is a shift jump which overrides the mantle (or vice versa.) Oh, just thought of one other possibility. I recall this problem with stairs. Running and jumping up stairs could result in mantling every step and I'm pretty sure a minimum mantle height was set. If that's a cvar maybe individuals could raise it? It would mean you couldn't jump mantle onto tables though. Maybe not mantle onto them at all.

I've always felt the mantle delay wasn't long enough, maybe just a bit longer, a few more milliseconds? Such as a 30% increase, from 100ms to 130ms? Might be just enough to help avoid a lot of unintentional automatic mantles, but still fast enough to drop off a ledge and grab the side and stuff like that.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I suppose it could be considered rare depending on your playing style, but I was giving the scenario of jumping off the table as an example. There are other times when the same type of - dare I say it - acrobatic ability, comes in handy (not only when evading guards).

I wasn't aware that a quick tap wouldn't initiate the auto mantle though, I'll have another go through the SL mission and give this a try. I suspect that I simply want it to 'feel' the same as Thief, where I would hold the space key when making any type of jump. Still, I don't have a problem with changing old habits, though as Komag says this may need to be tweaked a little.

Edited by Midnight

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is like Thief in that respect. I think it was said before, just because TDM doesn't have wall-running or skidding doesn't mean it can't be played fast-paced. You can still run, jump, mantle, and rope-swing, all on the run.

The mantling works similar to Mirror's Edge in that if you time your jump so you reach the wall at the apex, you'll quick-mantle over it without having to pull yourself up. So it actually lends itself to being fast-paced and having fun chases. Sometimes I get a lot of guards running after me from different directions, and I like the chase as I weave in and out.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.