The Dark Mod Forums

My first map (and some questions)

RailGun

Good to hear RailGun. Your first work shows a lot of potential, and I'm glad you are able to take the criticism constructively (and that is it how it's meant - people around here are not mean, rather they try to be honest and helpful). Keep up the good work! B)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Railgun: It would be a great shame to waste what you have done. Can you please contribute it by uploading it? I will be happy to see if if I can make something of it.

[EDIT] Unless of course that is what you mean by 'starting over'? You are rebuilding the same map?

When you're building open areas, like city streets, always keep things like performance, sound propagation or AI path finding in mind. The most important tool for this are visportals, so try to set them up before you've built the whole level. ;)

Don't worry, the only thing i deleted was the city buildings (the second set of pics) the rest is still intact
Ah good - I hate to see good stuff wasted! :) The acolytes' trail is littered with corpses; few arrive at the destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here we go again :) , this are some pics of my new work, i'm just asking if i'm on the right track.

shot00009t.jpg

shot00010o.jpg

shot00011x.jpg

shot00012d.jpg

shot00013.jpg

There is one more think i'll like to ask, i know i have still much to learn but i'm interested in becoming a beta mapper, i feel somewhat limited with using only the saint lucia resources and i really like to map (which is something new for me :D )

Do you have the ambient light [the single light that should encapsulate your level] cranked up really high in those shots? It feels way over lit. Your ambient light, which should be named 'ambient_world', should only be high enough to barely lift the shadows...and not affect your light gem. If your ambient light is affecting your light gem, it's too high. The rest of your lighting is then done with regular lights.

Geometry is looking pretty good. You should probably rotate some textures in that first shot, the support beams under the roof. They should be rotated so that the wood grain is going in the correct direction.

Same thing in the second picture. The wooden railing next to the lamp. Rotate the texture there.

It's a big improvement over your previous work. Looks much more alive and interesting. A few texture alignment issues, as NH noted, and weird lighting, but keep at it. :)

Quite pretty :) The layouts are attractive, the construction area looks active. And I'd say you have a good grasp of the concept of building in "tunnel" layout form (in fact, I'm storing a few mental notes from your fourth pic for my own use).

NH's suggestions are spot on, but aside from those, this is coming along very nicely.

Do you have the ambient light [the single light that should encapsulate your level] cranked up really high in those shots? It feels way over lit. Your ambient light, which should be named 'ambient_world', should only be high enough to barely lift the shadows...and not affect your light gem. If your ambient light is affecting your light gem, it's too high. The rest of your lighting is then done with regular lights.

Its not the ambient light, i adjusted the gamma of the pic so that its more easy to watch