The Dark Mod Forums

programmer offering to help

douga

Hi guys,

I would like to help with programming work you may have, I've played the demo and I love absolutely love it.

I am currently at uni but any spare time I could use to contribute in any way I can, although I don't have any experience in game programming, but I am a keen learner.

Interesting, thanks for dropping by. Looking at our bugtracker, there are one or two things which might be suitable for new coders, depending on your skill level.

What kind of programming experience do you have so far? Are you familiar with C++ or do you have a strong scripting background?

Interesting, thanks for dropping by. Looking at our bugtracker, there are one or two things which might be suitable for new coders, depending on your skill level.

What kind of programming experience do you have so far? Are you familiar with C++ or do you have a strong scripting background?

Hi,

My first language was C++ but really basic, its a huge language and I am still learning the darker side of it, i.e templates multiple inheritance etc, most of my coding was at uni assignments level, but I am willing to have a go at more complex stuff, I also do a fair bit of java coding.

My first language was C++ but really basic, its a huge language and I am still learning the darker side of it, i.e templates multiple inheritance etc, most of my coding was at uni assignments level, but I am willing to have a go at more complex stuff, I also do a fair bit of java coding.

As long as you are familiar with the concepts of object oriented programming, I'm sure you can understand most of our code without much problems. We don't use many templates in our code, but if you can wrap your head around these it won't hurt either, of course. Usually, our code is not very complicated in terms of C++ syntax. (If you like complicated template code, you can go maintaining the old GtkRadiant project. ;) just kidding.)

I don't know which platform you're working on - for Windows you'll need a Visual Studio (the free Express edition works just fine) and a working D3 installation. Do you have D3 available and updated it to the most recent patch 1.3.1.1304?

As long as you are familiar with the concepts of object oriented programming, I'm sure you can understand most of our code without much problems. We don't use many templates in our code, but if you can wrap your head around these it won't hurt either, of course. Usually, our code is not very complicated in terms of C++ syntax. (If you like complicated template code, you can go maintaining the old GtkRadiant project. ;) just kidding.)

I don't know which platform you're working on - for Windows you'll need a Visual Studio (the free Express edition works just fine) and a working D3 installation. Do you have D3 available and updated it to the most recent patch 1.3.1.1304?

I am using windows XP and have visual studio 2008 installed. So far I've downloaded doom 3 sdk and build a solution. I have a doom 3 game installed with a patch 1.3.1 on another PC but the graphics card is 6800GT... I think i may need to upgrade soon because the demo lagged for me a lot.

Sounds cool so far. If you were able to compile the SDK and build a custom gamex86.dll you've already tackled an important step.

For TDM development, you'll need the most recent patch (I think it's linked from our wiki), it's important that the console tells exactly the version 1.3.1.1304 otherwise you can't run our code.

Then, as next step, I'll suggest that we set you up as Applicant and let you have a look at a specific problem - with guidance where needed. This will be some sort of test (mostly for yourself, but only for the team to see how you're confronting problems). Be warned that you need a certain amount of endurance, because first-time modders often face a lot of small problems at the same time. It's certainly possible to overcome these (we can help you there of course), but just so you warned not to get demotivated and give up at the first few problems. Let me know wehen you're ready for that.

Sounds cool so far. If you were able to compile the SDK and build a custom gamex86.dll you've already tackled an important step.

For TDM development, you'll need the most recent patch (I think it's linked from our wiki), it's important that the console tells exactly the version 1.3.1.1304 otherwise you can't run our code.

Then, as next step, I'll suggest that we set you up as Applicant and let you have a look at a specific problem - with guidance where needed. This will be some sort of test (mostly for yourself, but only for the team to see how you're confronting problems). Be warned that you need a certain amount of endurance, because first-time modders often face a lot of small problems at the same time. It's certainly possible to overcome these (we can help you there of course), but just so you warned not to get demotivated and give up at the first few problems. Let me know wehen you're ready for that.

Thanks,

I think I am ready as I'll ever be. I have patched doom 3, so I am ready for the next step.