The Dark Mod Forums

Where are the source WAVs?

OrbWeaver

Some of the ambient/environmental sounds seem to have problems looping, for example because they have an obvious fade-in/fade-out or are simply never designed for looping in the first place. This problem is not generally hard to fix, but I don't want to try editing the Vorbis audio and end up with nasty recompression artifacts.

Do we have the source WAVs available for all of our Vorbis sounds, so that they can be edited without recompression?

There is an SVN repository, hopefully it's been maintained

https://darkmod.homelinux.com/svn/sound_src

I'm guessing not; this is the entire content:

README.txt
sounds_ask/
sounds_ask/1001_squeaky_faucet_1.WAV
sounds_ask/1001_squeaky_faucet_2.WAV
sounds_ask/1001_squeaky_faucet_3.WAV
sounds_ask/1001_squeaky_faucet_4.WAV
sounds_ask/1001_squeaky_faucet_5.WAV
sounds_ask/1001_squeaky_faucet_6.WAV
sounds_ask/1002_squeaky_door_1.WAV
sounds_ask/1002_squeaky_door_2.WAV
sounds_ask/1002_squeaky_door_3.WAV
sounds_ask/1003_drum_2_eskimo_1.WAV
sounds_ask/1003_drum_3.WAV
sounds_ask/1006_yard_stick_1.WAV
sounds_ask/1006_yard_stick_2.WAV
sounds_ask/1006_yard_stick_3.WAV
sounds_ask/1006_yard_stick_4.WAV
sounds_ask/1010_creaky_oven_door.WAV
sounds_ask/1014_washer_drummed_1.WAV
sounds_ask/1015_washer_drummed_2.WAV
sounds_ask/1016_drum_3_1.WAV
sounds_ask/1016_drum_3_1_tdown.WAV
sounds_ask/1016_drum_3_2.WAV
sounds_ask/1016_drum_3_2_tdown.WAV
sounds_ask/1018_pots_1.WAV
sounds_ask/1019_pots_2.WAV
sounds_ask/1019_pots_3.WAV
sounds_ask/1019_pots_4.WAV
sounds_ask/1019_pots_5.WAV
sounds_ask/1019_pots_6.WAV
sounds_ask/1019_pots_7.WAV
sounds_ask/1019_pots_8.WAV
sounds_ask/2003_ratchet_1.WAV
sounds_ask/2003_ratchet_2.WAV

I did a search for a few of them in our sound shader directory, and couldn't find anything. Looking at the commit log for sound_src, it seems that there have only ever been two commits, the second of which was ascottk adding the sounds in that list. I'm guessing that rest of our source sounds never made it in.

Are any of the original sound guys still around? Maybe the source sounds are sitting around on Schatten or Pakmannen's hard drive somewhere, and could be uploaded.

I noticed the same fade-in/fade-out problem on at least one ambient and a couple of the weather_wind sounds.

I can make a full list at some point, although it's pretty easy for anyone to identify the problem: just play through the ambient/environmental sounds that are used in looping shaders and listen for an obvious silent gap where the loop happens.

It might, in theory, be possible to fix the looping without the source WAVs, if some software which can chop and edit Vorbis audio without re-encoding it is available. The Doom 3 sound shader format supports a "lead-in" sound which is played before a looping sound; if the appropriate loop points in a sound are identified, it could be losslessly chopped into the lead-in and looping portions and a sound shader set up to use both.

I noticed the same fade-in/fade-out problem on at least one ambient and a couple of the weather_wind sounds.

I can make a full list at some point, although it's pretty easy for anyone to identify the problem: just play through the ambient/environmental sounds that are used in looping shaders and listen for an obvious silent gap where the loop happens.

It might, in theory, be possible to fix the looping without the source WAVs, if some software which can chop and edit Vorbis audio without re-encoding it is available. The Doom 3 sound shader format supports a "lead-in" sound which is played before a looping sound; if the appropriate loop points in a sound are identified, it could be losslessly chopped into the lead-in and looping portions and a sound shader set up to use both.

there is some software can do this..but lets listen and identify...maybe can fix it without the source wav..why not..

• 3 weeks later...

I found some software called mp3splt which provides the needed functionality. It is available in the Ubuntu repository as a command-line tool, and allows you to split an Ogg file at a specific location.

For example, the alien02.ogg track is very long and does not loop correctly, but by running

mp3splt alien02.ogg 0.49.26 0.54.74

I ended up with a short sound which can be looped.

Although the resolution is only hundredths-of-a-second, a combination of mp3splt and Audacity might be a way to produce looping variants of some of our ambient tracks without re-encoding anything.

• 3 months later...

Good day,

I saved all my source audio files as .OGG from the start, as that's what I was told the mod needed. I didn't create a lot of audio files, and I don't think very many are being used in the mod(?), but I just wanted to mention. I wonder if other audio guys also thought they should just save as OGG and not have any WAV files?

For some of the things I did -- including machine sounds -- I made the audio rather long so they could be trimmed, as needed, and looped, if possible. (Better to give more than not enough, was my rationale.) I also wasn't good at seamlessly "looping" the wavelengths (not sure I have good software for it).

Let me know if you need more explanation or anything. I wish I could say I had "source WAV files," but I don't. Pretty much have only OGGs and MP3s on my end. Sorry!

-DF