The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I put in the path names in both the xd file and the readable object. The text did not show, and what's more, when I picked up the movable readable, I could not put it down anymore, nor pick up other objects. <_<

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Is there any way to set a trigger_once so that it only activates if a certain item is in the player's inventory (toggling between primed and deactivated as that item is picked up and dropped)? I've been browsing the wiki and I've been unable to find the answer, but it strikes me as something which can probably be done.  ^_^

Melan: Where you have (readable message) I assume you have not put your original spoiler text. Check through it carefully for quotation marks. If you have any then replace them either with a single ' or you can use \" for a double quote mark.

If that doesn't solve it then look in the console and report here any relevant error messages.

See also the troubleshooter at http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Readables#Troubleshooting

Is there any way to set a trigger_once so that it only activates if a certain item is in the player's inventory (toggling between primed and deactivated as that item is picked up and dropped)? I've been browsing the wiki and I've been unable to find the answer, but it strikes me as something which can probably be done. ^_^

Yes, probably several ways. Here (and correct me if I'm wrong) I'm assuming you do not want a proximity trigger like a trigger_once but just want to trigger something when the player drops/picks up the object?

One way is to use a non-showing objective as a trigger. The objectives system is very powerful and can be used for triggering things with no relation to any actual objective.

What you would need is an objective to get the special object. There is an example in startpack. It's something like 'player has entity <name> Set this objective to invisible and set it to NOT irreversible (make sure the box is UNchecked) so then the objective will be UNdone if you drop it.

Now make another invisible objective that relies on the above before it can be completed. To do this you put the number of the first objective in the 'enabling objective' box. Now this objective will be to trigger whatever you want to trigger. To do this you put the entity name of whatever you want to trigger in the 'Completion Target' box in the objective.

If however you *do* want a proximity trigger like trigger_once as well then that needs more thought.

Let me know if you need more clarification. And I've not tested the above so apologies if I missed something. :)

[EDIT] and immediately see my mistake. I missed out the type for the second objective. But then I think this can be done with just the first objective and put the success target and failure target pointing to the same target. When the object is picked up it should complete the objective (invisibly) and trigger the target. When the object is dropped it should UNdo the objective and trigger the target again.

Sorry may need some experimenting to get it right but it can be done.

Fidcal: no quotes in either readable, unfortunately. The console reports the following error messages:

1) line 1: missing decl name (upon startup, line is is either a { or if it doesn't count that, "classname" "atdm:readable_mobile_paper01" )

2) line 35: unrecognized command: __ (upon loading the map; the __ is from copied original text)

I have also discovered that the can't drop readable error occurs if you pick up and use it; if you pick it up, drop it, then pick it up again, you can read it safely. No console messages are reported.

In any case, thanks for your help, and here is something for your trouble:

post-2023-125762810548_thumb.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

hi, I have a question about doors. It's possible to assign a sound for opening and closing of a door. but what about a door that have a friction sound during its movement time. Is this possible?

Select the door and set 'show inherited properties' at the top of Entity Inspector

Scroll down the list of properties to snd_close or snd_open

Select that property and a button appears at the bottom 'choose sound'

Click that, click darkmod and scroll down to door... and there are several door sounds.

At this time it is not possible to synch a sound to the actual movement; it just triggers when the door is frobbed. The sound is a fixed length. Lengthy sounds are normally avoided because if the door is blocked by the player the sound will continue. There is one medium length creaky sound but you can imagine a very long creaky sound on a slowly opening door (move_time on a rotating door) would be odd if the door got blocked quickly and the sound continued. :)

Fidcal: no quotes in either readable, unfortunately. The console reports the following error messages:

1) line 1: missing decl name (upon startup, line is is either a { or if it doesn't count that, "classname" "atdm:readable_mobile_paper01" )

2) line 35: unrecognized command: __ (upon loading the map; the __ is from copied original text)

I have also discovered that the can't drop readable error occurs if you pick up and use it; if you pick it up, drop it, then pick it up again, you can read it safely. No console messages are reported.

In any case, thanks for your help, and here is something for your trouble:

post-2023-125762810548_thumb.jpg

OK, looking again at your original quoted listing I had assumed the top part you had copied from your entity. If in fact that is all in the xdata file then that is the error. Delete the top part entirely:

{

"classname" "atdm:readable_mobile_paper01"

"name" "sheet_paper"

"inv_name" "Gate Note"

"origin" "0 0 0"

"xdata_contents" "gate_maynard"

}

The above is how the readable entity in your map should look. Are you not using startpack or the readable prefabs? Look at prefabs.xd (in the same pk4 as prefabs.) to see how it is set out and refer to http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Readables_Prefabs

Nice screenshot though! Looking forward to seeing this FM. :)

At this time it is not possible to synch a sound to the actual movement; it just triggers when the door is frobbed. The sound is a fixed length. Lengthy sounds are normally avoided because if the door is blocked by the player the sound will continue. There is one medium length creaky sound but you can imagine a very long creaky sound on a slowly opening door (move_time on a rotating door) would be odd if the door got blocked quickly and the sound continued. :)

I see. As you mentioned, it will be odd when player blocked the door and sound continued, but in my case it'll be more odd if that door doesn't make sound :) So, I already set up a long sound for opening duration, but there is no sound on closing duration. I'll give a try for trigger section for this. If it won't work, it will stay as it is.

thanks.

Fidcal: Removing that paragraph did not work. :/ I think I will try to recreate everything from scratch tomorrow; I may have messed up something crucial here.

Fidcal: Removing that paragraph did not work. :/ I think I will try to recreate everything from scratch tomorrow; I may have messed up something crucial here.

Don't worry - this is normal with readables until you get the hang of it. It's a good idea to start again. Backup the text you made but there is a good chance there is an error in it - a missing curly bracket or an extra quote; it is very easy to miss one. I recommend you insert a prefab as described on the wiki and get it working with a blank page first (default). Then you know it works so when you add text if it no longer works then you know there is an error in the text. Another possible error is that you should not have a linefeed within the quotes but either use \n to force a linefeed or start another quote.

I see. As you mentioned, it will be odd when player blocked the door and sound continued, but in my case it'll be more odd if that door doesn't make sound :) So, I already set up a long sound for opening duration, but there is no sound on closing duration. I'll give a try for trigger section for this. If it won't work, it will stay as it is.

thanks.

Yes, there are exceptions to the rule. I have a portcullis with a long sliding chain sound in my FM. It can't be blocked going upwards but I suppose it could be blocked when it comes down. But too bad; it has to have a long sound.

Yes, probably several ways. Here (and correct me if I'm wrong) I'm assuming you do not want a proximity trigger like a trigger_once but just want to trigger something when the player drops/picks up the object?

One way is to use a non-showing objective as a trigger. The objectives system is very powerful and can be used for triggering things with no relation to any actual objective.

Now THAT just about worked.

Dziękuję. (I thought I'd thank you in Polish just for variety)  :)

One invisible objective on its own didn't sort the problem. I had to use two that alternate between completion and failure. One with 'player has object' the other 'player does not have object'. The latter needed to be set to completed on start with count '0', and both I set to 'ongoing'.

One snag I'm having now is that if the player has the object in their 'hands' then it's counted as if they don't have it at all. Slight loophole, but nothing a bit of well thought out level design can't hide.

Sorry if that is a dump idea, i dont know anything about programming. Would it be possible to take parts (converter or something) of doom 3, put them into DR with a button "Remove degenerate Triangles permanently" so it wont take so long to load (after you have finished your map)?

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Now THAT just about worked.

Dziękuję. (I thought I'd thank you in Polish just for variety)  :)

One invisible objective on its own didn't sort the problem. I had to use two that alternate between completion and failure. One with 'player has object' the other 'player does not have object'. The latter needed to be set to completed on start with count '0', and both I set to 'ongoing'.

One snag I'm having now is that if the player has the object in their 'hands' then it's counted as if they don't have it at all. Slight loophole, but nothing a bit of well thought out level design can't hide.

You got it to work? That's good. I had a horrible feeling after that I'd missed out stuff or not made it too complicated.

The grabber thing is a good point though. I don't think any of us have thought of that. The 'get an object' objective only tests the inventory because when the objectives were made it was not possible to take something from the inventory into the grabber. I'll raise this internally to see if there's a fix.

i have made some stairs but i dont know how to place the monsterclips right so AI can walk on it. Is there a wiki guide? Could not find one

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Try a simple ramp. The code will ensure that the AI appear to be walking on the visible surface, even though they're pathfinding using a monsterclip brush which doesn't perfectly match up to the visible surface.

I've actually barely touched mapping, but I think this is how it's supposed to work. :P

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

i have made some stairs but i dont know how to place the monsterclips right so AI can walk on it. Is there a wiki guide? Could not find one

You can either make the monster_clip brush above the stairs: post-529-12576962788_thumb.jpg

Or you can make it just beneath the stairs: post-529-125769630272_thumb.jpg

Either way the AI will see a ramp they can pathfind up, and will use it if need be.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, the AF (articulated figure, pain in the butt to make file) for the AI controls their legs.

It's weird because you animate their legs, but the AF controls it so they actually touch the ground over uneven terrain. So it kindof over rides/works with the anims to make it look best.

So their body follows the ramp of monster clip, but their feet will always connect with the stairs.

I tried making monster clip stairs and they get kindof buggy, 'cause their body goes bumpy, then their feet kindof go all over because of the body movement. Ramp is smooth.

It's like one of those puppets on strings, you move you hand back and forth to move the legs up and down, and the feet connect to the ground and add extra bend to the knees.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yeah, the AF (articulated figure, pain in the butt to make file) for the AI controls their legs.

It's weird because you animate their legs, but the AF controls it so they actually touch the ground over uneven terrain. So it kindof over rides/works with the anims to make it look best.

So their body follows the ramp of monster clip, but their feet will always connect with the stairs.

I tried making monster clip stairs and they get kindof buggy, 'cause their body goes bumpy, then their feet kindof go all over because of the body movement. Ramp is smooth.

It's like one of those puppets on strings, you move you hand back and forth to move the legs up and down, and the feet connect to the ground and add extra bend to the knees.

So it's a better idea to have the monster_clip brush below the steps?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

It's called Inverse Kinematics.

You got it to work? That's good. I had a horrible feeling after that I'd missed out stuff or not made it too complicated.

The grabber thing is a good point though. I don't think any of us have thought of that. The 'get an object' objective only tests the inventory because when the objectives were made it was not possible to take something from the inventory into the grabber. I'll raise this internally to see if there's a fix.

I now have a fully working system. I used a Stim/Response to create an additional trigger. Luckily it seems to work best for items while in 'grab' mode so now I've got all bases covered.

I can't help but feel that what I've made is a little convoluted though. The inventory-objective switcher thingy actually activates an invisible lift which moves the trigger zone binded to it into place where the player can then trip it. Crazy, I know.  :o

Thanks it works fine now, made it like that:

stairs-MC.jpg

stairs-mc2.jpg

Edited by Sonosuke

I now have a fully working system. I used a Stim/Response to create an additional trigger. Luckily it seems to work best for items while in 'grab' mode so now I've got all bases covered.

I can't help but feel that what I've made is a little convoluted though. The inventory-objective switcher thingy actually activates an invisible lift which moves the trigger zone binded to it into place where the player can then trip it. Crazy, I know.  :o

Love it! Reminds me of Dromed. Stuff like that I did a lot of! :laugh: