The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I didn't know that about the AI stair climbing animation behavior and how it's much smoother and better with a monsterclip ramp. So it sounds like we should never leave any steps un-monsterclipped, no matter how well they are able to go up them already.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

hmm... can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? there are two walls with and two walls without that cut.

cutinwall.jpg

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

@Neb: The coder confirms it would be very difficult/time consuming to deal with the grabber in an objective/inventory situation. I don't know if you still need this but there is a property drop_to_hands which by default is set to 1. If you set it to 0 on an object then when the player drops it then it falls straight to the floor. So that might be used to avoid the grabber problem.

@Neb: The coder confirms it would be very difficult/time consuming to deal with the grabber in an objective/inventory situation. I don't know if you still need this but there is a property drop_to_hands which by default is set to 1. If you set it to 0 on an object then when the player drops it then it falls straight to the floor. So that might be used to avoid the grabber problem.

I wondered about that, but in my case I was aiming for the item to also be manipulated while 'grabbed', so the stim/response setup is ideal in this case.

Thanks for following it through though.

I'm sure I read about it in the Wiki at some point, but I'm really having trouble remembering the name of that internal texture just for measuring to the grid. Does anyone know what it was called? 

You don't mean textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/ceramic_tile_tan03 do you? As used in http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Design_%26_Build_Methods:_Getting_Started#Getting_Started

Ahhh, right. That's the texture. I must have been confused because I remember the Source engine had specific measuring textures. It'll come in handy, though.

Why do you need a measuring texture though, that's what the grid is for.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Why do you need a measuring texture though, that's what the grid is for.

I've got a seriously bad sense of proportion and scale. Anything to help me along in the 3D view while I'm placing basic geometry is great. My sense of perspective is also messed up, but that's not a problem with software like this.

I spent a bit of time making maps for Team Fortress 2. Not using 'dev textures' during the development stage of maps has this huge stigmata of being wrong and foolish by most of the mappers.

It really cracked me up, during testing everyone would complain about dev tex in everyones map. In my map other mappers would complain that I used wood and metal instead. They always told me I needed to use Dev. When I told them there was no point it was like 'The Audacity', 'who does this guy think he is?' It was really a major deal. Funny.

I used the grid, player models and objects like doorframes to measure. The grid of a tex can change size depending on the scale anyway. There's just no way I could build a whole map with grid tex.

Not knocking it, I just thought it was funny how they would get so worked up about it.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I've got a seriously bad sense of proportion and scale. Anything to help me along in the 3D view while I'm placing basic geometry is great. My sense of perspective is also messed up, but that's not a problem with software like this.

If you need help with scale, place an AI guard next to your building.

If you need help with scale, place an AI guard next to your building.

Or distinctly coloured "marker" brushes which are approximately the dimensions of an AI. That's what I am doing, since my spaces turn out a bit larger than intended.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I have little wooden men things, with odd little arms (just a few brushes) to simulate AI size/space without taxing the system for quick in-game checks.

That's not a bad idea. Set the width to the AI box. I was doing some monsterclipping the other day and wondered if the AI could actually get through a gap around some furniture. With such a brush I could have slid it through in DR and see. Anyone know the dimensions of the general human AI? Or maybe it's affected by swords etc?

Worldspawn (I.E. a brush or patch that hasn't been turned into an entity) generally shouldn't have to overlap. It's not essential that you use perfect mapping form, but you tend to get a little better performance and dmap time if you do.

just to be make sure of it, does same thing goes for decals? there isn't zfight in game even decal and a brush overlap. But I want to keep the best dmap performance.

Decals are a special case because there are two kinds: The 'stain' or 'smudge' kind should be exactly flush with the brush surface they are on. This is the default if you use DR's menu > brush > make decal. But some decals are 'thicker' dirt etc so they should 0.025 above the surface or you get zfighting.

I'm kinda rusty with DarkRadiant, is there a way to select and move multiple vertices at once? Would be useful for adjusting patch meshes :ph34r:

Edit: of course i figure it out instantly after posting, after shift-dragging a selection area around the vertices you need to press enter to confirm the selection too!

I'm kinda rusty with DarkRadiant, is there a way to select and move multiple vertices at once? Would be useful for adjusting patch meshes :ph34r:

Edit: of course i figure it out instantly after posting, after shift-dragging a selection area around the vertices you need to press enter to confirm the selection too!

You do? I've always just dragged around the vertices and started moving them around, hitting enter doesn't seem to do anything as far as I can see.

I've never used Enter after any selection....I hold down Shift, drag a selection box around the vertices then let go of the mouse button, then let go of shift.

Hey, I got a problem with starting Dark Radiant. I read the part about:

1. If an "Engine Path Not Found" dialog appears, choose the path to your Doom 3 installation. For example, C:\Games\Doom3.
  2. The fs_game setting should point to your darkmod installation. Depending on which package you're working on, this can be "thiefs_den", "saintlucia" or "darkmod". Then click OK

I tried that, but I get the warning window: The fs_game folder does not exist. Do you want to correct this? If I say Yes it goes back to the same thing, if I say No Dark Radiant opens & there's an "unnamed.map", but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to do.

Is there a search bar for within the thread? Because 14 pages is a lot to go through :( I still havn't figured out how to put spoilers into the FM section yet in the help section with the FM's. Maybe I'm just retarded, but this forum is so different from ttlg's version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

At the bottom left of the page is a 'search topic' field.

If you have DR open and it says 'unnamed.map' you are golden. It's just a blank map file to start with, start by saving your maps name, then add stuff wink.gif

I haven't found a spoiler button myself either, but you can type it same as ttlg

[

spoiler]

text

[/

spoiler]

without the line breaks of course.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest