The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

lol, I almost posted."he played flight simulators' the other day.

XD , i played a long time with inverted mouse (stick) too. Took me a few weeks to get rid of it, now i am glad have chaged to normal mode

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

@ Melan:

The doom textures don't have DarkMod material files. Our materials have a pass for ambient lights.

You can find the material file and copy it to a new file, something like melan.mtr and put it in darkmod/materials folder (add to mission zip). Add this to the material:

// TDM Ambient Method Related
{
 blend add
 map  ---right here goes name of diffuse texture--
 red  global2
 green global3
 blue global4
}

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Aha! Makes sense. I have already added a few textures of my own, so I've got the file ready, just got to update it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Possibly related to the above posts - Anyone have a way to make the "glowing" textures appear to emit light better? The obvious ones are the lit windows. I've shamelessly ripped-off the techniques from the training mission map, it's just not looking right for some reason. Even more so, I'm having trouble getting the hot spots on the logs from the bonfire log models to look like convincing dying embers (like a bonfire after the flames have died and all you have are the glowing coals) - You guys got any insider tricks?

I've been following the A - Z Beginner Full guide thus far, and It's been invaluable. However, on the second page, I believe I've discovered an error. It tells me to "Press L to list entities," but the key necessary is J. Was this different in prior versions of DR, or was this merely a typo?

I considered editing it myself, but I was worried there was a reason it was like that, and I'd be seen as a vandal. I don't want anyone else to get confused about this like I did.

- Baalak called Ambient.

It's from a very old version, where J was for the Lights and L was for the Entities, so we switched it so L is for Lights because that's just way more intuitive (and so what if J is not intuitive for Entities, neither was L anyway!)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I've fixed the page. Please don't hesitate to fix any mistakes you see on the wiki. :) Wikis work best when there are as many contributors as possible.

• Like 1
My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I'll join the wiki and modify it myself the next time I find an error. Thanks for fixing it for us.

I'm following the tutorial so far, and I just added the skybox and all that. Then I saved and went to play it. dmap won't work, though, because it says:

WARNING: file sound/tdm_sfx_impact.sndshd, line 425: sound 'small_metal_impact' previously defined at sound/tdm_sfx_impact.sndshd:77

I'm confused now. How did I break it?

- Baalak called Clumsy, Apparently.

WARNING: file sound/tdm_sfx_impact.sndshd, line 425: sound 'small_metal_impact' previously defined at sound/tdm_sfx_impact.sndshd:77

I dont think thats the reason why it does not work, i always have that warning. Can you see another warning?

type in the console, condump filename.txt to get a textfile or scroll up with the mouse

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

is there a leak because of sky texture by chance? try to seal it.

thought so too but if so, you should get a big LEAKED warning

Ok, I followed both instructions. I didn't find a leak, but I fiddled with the skybox and it's loading now. I was having trouble with it a moment ago, not being able to see any of the outdoor walls I made, or the skybox, despite having an ambient light, but putting a light outside seems to have fixed it. Strange.

I can't find the condump, though. Where are these files generated?

Baalak called Poorly Illuminated.

I can't find the condump, though. Where are these files generated?

Edit:

Do you have a FM installed? Then it goes in the folder of that map (the one in the doom3 directory), if not you can find it in the "darkmod" folder.

__

I have a question too, is it possible to disable the main ambiant light for only one room?

Edited by Sonosuke

oh....... well it looks possible... i may save it for my next map without a timelimit :P

Edited by Sonosuke

it depends on how you used the sky texture. some sky textures causes a leak even on one face of brush. But if you mean portal_sky with using a skybox prefab, then it'll not be a trouble.

That's exactly what I did, following the A - Z guide's instructions. Seems to be working now. I'll progress, and hopefully not run into any more problems.

Sonosuke, thanks. I found it, but at this point, it isn't necessary. I'll know for the future, though.

- Baalak called Celestial.

EDIT: I feel foolish with such a simple question, but I read through the relevant part of the wiki and I'm still confused. I have a door which I made using the create model create entity method described in the guide. I think it should be working, but when I frob it instead of rotating along the Z axis, it rotates on the Y axis, into the wall! It's rotate property is 0 150 0, so I don't think that should be its behavior. Is there a simple way to fix this? I could just remake the door, but I'd rather know in case I come across this problem again.

The door section of the wiki is very detailed, and I'm sure if I were a bit more experienced it would be quite clear to me. I'm still rather green, though, and its wall of helpful text seems awfully opaque.

Edited by baalak

I think it should be working, but when I frob it instead of rotating along the Z axis, it rotates on the Y axis, into the wall! It's rotate property is 0 150 0, so I don't think that should be its behavior.

Sounds strange, i have made a new room now and tried out some ways to create a door but everything is working just fine. Did you play around with the propertys? like "origin" or something?

As I recall, model doors rotate around their own axes whereas brush doors use the world axes. So maybe you've found a model door oriented a different way (though I've never seen one.) Just try 150 0 0 and see if that fixes it. If not, try 0 0 150. You may also need a negative if it goes the wrong direction.

By default, every model door I've used, if placed in the normal vertical orientation of a typical door, rotates anti_clockwise in plan view, ie, looking down from above. And the value for that is 0 90 0 to turn 90 degrees.

If the above solves it, please let me know which model door you are using because I'm curious.

The standard doors (named like this, 3 sizes: door_96x48) should rotate 0 90 0 (I believe)

However some of the other doors were created by Dram, some entities may be brush based, so like Fidcal says they may have a different axis alignment.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'm not one to look good fortune in the mouth. The door works correctly now. I'm not sure why.

I didn't alter its origin at all. I tried 150 0 0 with no change, and then went back to 0 150 0 and there was no change- I tested to be sure. I set it aside and worked on some other geometry, saved in a new file, and went to bed. This morning I dmapped and mapped into the new save, and to my surprise, it worked fine. I mapped into my prior save, and it's still wonky. I dunno what to say. It's a secret to everybody.

The door's model is model/darkmod/architecture/doors/door2.lwo

I opened the old map up and adjusted the rotate to 0 150 0 and it's still wonky. The latest map, though, has rotate at 0 150 0, so, I don't know what to say.

Works fine now. Problem solved?

- Baalak called Exceptionally Confused.

Usually for me, Its a matter of making sure "did I really hit save in DR"?

Also, whenever you make small non-geometry changes to a WIP or test map, restart it with the console "map" command. Spawnargs don't get updated automatically during runtime, you have to reload the mission to see the changes.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair