The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

OK, ignore the above question. I've answered it by testing my level :)

Yeah, they come fully armed, but don't forget to leg them, or they don't have legs! Okay, okay, that was a joke. But don't forget to press the "Clothe AI" button, it is cold in Bridgeport, esp. at night!

:D

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Another day, another small issue: the two side-by-side pages are displayed differently. (Never mind the text, it is going to go through a revision - esp. since Gothica seems to have a problem with punctuation.

post-2023-12612154518_thumb.jpg

My xdata file uses these font settings:

"gui_page1" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_gothica2.gui"

"gui_page2" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_gothica2.gui"

"gui_page3" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_gothica2.gui"

"gui_page4" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_gothica2.gui"

"gui_page5" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_gothica2.gui"

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Ooops! My fault. Looks like I set gothica font on the left and bamberg gothic on the right. I'll fix it on SVN for the next update but what you will have to do (unless you want to wait for the next update) is as follows:

Extract the gui (prob tdm_gui.pk4 or similar)

Put it in the same equivalent folder in your FM archive when you get to that.

Edit it in a plain text editor

Search down for two occurrences of

font "fonts/bamberg"

Replace with:

font "fonts/gothica2"

Doom3 will automatically use your version rather than the one in the pk4.

Aha! That's useful to know. For the time being, though, I will stick with Bamberg; I could not make Gothica text look good in that context.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

OK, I have another quick question (you must be getting sick of me :))

I have an electric lamp that's attached to a switch. I've attached the switch to the light and this works just fine. However, the lamp iteslf still glows orange, even though it's not emitting light. How can I set it so the lamp itself goes dull at when i flip the switch?

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Not all the electric light models are set up to be switched yet. The entity to use is light_colorme_model but it's set up wrong (by me I think) so does not show in the editor. This is how I think you set it up:

You don't need a separate 'light' entity for this.

Create your electric light model first.

In Entity Inspector select the top line classname.

In the input box at the bottom type or paste in: light_colorme_model

Add a new line: skin and enter anything eg, X and enter

Select the skin line and you see a new button at the bottom: skin

Click it and see if there is matching skin and if there is, it needs to be of the colorme type. If not it won't work so you need to pick another model on the model line.

You can set the _color and radius and start_off in the usual way.

Target it from your switch and it should work.

Does someone know why I don't see any 2D Window, or grid or somethin' after installing the Dark Radiant? :)

Got a GeForce 8600M GS

View -> New XY View leads me to attached Screenshot 2

Messing around with Window Layout brought me to Screenie 3

Still woun't work correct after graphics driver update. The camera screen is working but with framerate 3 or something like that :o The 2D Windows don't update everytime I made a change.

Oh man, this can't be real..

post-3542-12613468676_thumb.jpg

post-3542-126134750967_thumb.jpg

post-3542-126134781836_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Okay, after a sleeples night and many different tries I found out that there was a simple solution to this: I have to turn down my color scheme from 32 bit to 16 bit. Don't know why this is messing up the editor that hard.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Okay, I think it's time for me to finish fooling around and begin a serious attempt to create a mission. I want to build a tower much like anglewatch in life of the party, but I would also like to allow the player to climb in/out of windows on the upper floors and walk on the ledges to get to different rooms. From what I know it would kill performance if I looked down from a six story building, so I wonder how I can pull this off. I decided to put the tower on a tiny island to avoid all the problems/work that come with the city settings. If any I'd only put a few huts next to the tower plus some rocks/vegetation and a landing stage. If this is too advanced I could as well go for a typical "Break into a guarded mansion, steal another fat nobleman's priceless trinket and leave quietly" mission.

Edited by lostbuthappy

Thats quite a strange issue.

• Do you have any settingss like AA forced via drivers?
  • If you are using the x64 build, have you tried the 32?
  • Are your grahpics card drivers up to date?
  • If you are using Vista/7, have you tried creating a shortcut to run DR with Aero disabled?

I made a shortcut without using the aero design (compatibility mode) and this does work for me.

Vista is deactivating the aero-design too, if you change to 16 bit color mode. So you're right - aero was the thing that brought everything outa control. I am happy that it works for me now :D

Edited by SeriousToni

Okay, I think it's time for me to finish fooling around and begin a serious attempt to create a mission. I want to build a tower much like anglewatch in life of the party, but I would also like to allow the player to climb in/out of windows on the upper floors and walk on the ledges to get to different rooms. From what I know it would kill performance if I looked down from a six story building, so I wonder how I can pull this off. I decided to put the tower on a tiny island to avoid all the problems/work that come with the city settings. If any I'd only put a few huts next to the tower plus some rocks/vegetation and a landing stage. If this is too advanced I could as well go for a typical "Break into a guarded mansion, steal another fat nobleman's priceless trinket and leave quietly" mission.

First, you're in the wrong thread - this is really for Dark Radiant specific problems. Yes it's possible to make a high tower so long as there are not vast detailed views with lots of lights. If you use the sky with a sea then a simple island as you describe then it should not be a problem. Komag has already done a test map of this so check out his website.

First, you're in the wrong thread - this is really for Dark Radiant specific problems.

My apologies.

Yes it's possible to make a high tower so long as there are not vast detailed views with lots of lights. If you use the sky with a sea then a simple island as you describe then it should not be a problem. Komag has already done a test map of this so check out his website.

Will do, thanks for the hint.

Wow, I must say the DarkRadiant is very comfortable and customizable - great!

But:

Is there a way to search the whole entity tree in the "Create entity"-window for a specific entry?

Edited by SeriousToni

lostbuthappy: why would you need to locate your mission on an island? There is a very nice city skybox you could use! (As seen in The Chalice of Kings.)

Wow, I must say the DarkRadiant is very comfortable and customizable - great!

But:

Is there a way to search the whole entity tree in the "Create entity"-window for a specific entry?

1. Highlight (single click) the 'darkmod' branch in the 'Create entity' window

2. Press shift+right (arrow key) to expand all branches

3. Type some letters of the name of the item you're seeking (or type the full name)

4. Use up/down (arrow keys) to hop through the seek results until you've found what you're looking for

post-58-126143214404_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

lostbuthappy: why would you need to locate your mission on an island? There is a very nice city skybox you could use! (As seen in The Chalice of Kings.)

Yeah, that's an awesome skybox. I actually spent at least a minute admiring it and genuinly asking myself whether this was really a skybox :) However, my tower is currently 3072u (~70m) high, so it would easily be the highest building in the area. I think if you looked down from such a high location you would easily notice that the "city" is just a 2d texture. So the solution I came up with so far contains (almost) total darkness, natural boundaries, new moon, a cloudy sky and maybe a little bit of fog, but this is all new to me so I don't know if it's gonna work without jerk-o-vision. So far the framerate is okay :)

If you use the sky with a sea then a simple island as you describe then it should not be a problem.
Sorry, I should have made that clearer - there are already several skies that are complete spheres including one with sea. I think the are in nature/skyboxes. So if you use that one it will have sky above and right down to a low horizon and a very dark sea. And I think one with just dark instead of sea. Check out Saint Lucia and climb up high.

Sorry, I should have made that clearer - there are already several skies that are complete spheres including one with sea. I think the are in nature/skyboxes. So if you use that one it will have sky above and right down to a low horizon and a very dark sea. And I think one with just dark instead of sea. Check out Saint Lucia and climb up high.

Already got one of those. I still have to make it significantly darker by removing the stars and moon to justify the very low ambient_world I'll probably need so that the player can't see the boundaries of the map when he's looking out of the window on the nth floor. I want the player to start right next to the rowing boat he arrived with, so if I don't use any real water and rely on the skybox instead I'd have to hinder the player from going in the (fake) water, wouldn't I?

Overlooked the obvious, thanks fidcal :)

Edited by lostbuthappy

Z-Fighting...

...Hey guys, I'm following Fidcal's tut and am having an issue with the fog and rainsplash textures in the Weather section. I build the fog as instructed, however when I do this I get z-fighting where the lightbox/fog perimeter meets the walls/floor/ceiling. This resolves when I set the lightbox/fog perimeter 1 grid1 unit away from the walls/floor/ceiling. Similarly I get z-fighting after setting the rainpour mesh at the same level as the ground. I have to raise the rainpour mesh 1 grid1 unit to resolve the issue. Obviously I'm missing something here, is there a property I need to add or something?

... How do I extend these textures to fill the areas without the z-fighting @ wall/ceiling/floor interface?

Thanks!

As a bonus can anyone tell me how to fix the "Warning: aas32 is out of date!" message at game launch :)

Some decals need to be flush with the surface they are on and some need to be the lowest grid unit from that surface. So if you get z-fighting - yes, raise the patch.

Fog volume edges should be embedded in walls as far as possible not just exactly at the surface or above but embedded into the walls.

To remove the aas warnings just dmap again. If that fails then delete all the relevant aas files in the map folder first then dmap.

Hi again, is there a way to play a triggered sound only one time? I mean if a button is is targeting a sound too, so no matter how often you push it, it plays only one time.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Yes, here you go:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Sounds:_Background_and_Local#Playing_a_Sound_Once

I think I used that for the cat in Thief's Den.

But if you want to specifically trigger it with a lever or button then instead use the trigger_once as a relay instead of a proximity trigger, make it a tiny brush and put it unreachable by the player and target it from the lever. There might be a neater way than that but that should work.