The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

you could try with teams , setup like:

"dont kill anyone of team 2 AND 3" in the objectives editor and name it for the player:

"dont kill anyone" and set the one you have to kill a different team.

i hope that was understandable^^

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

you could try with teams , setup like:

"dont kill anyone of team 2 AND 3" in the objectives editor and name it for the player:

"dont kill anyone" and set the one you have to kill a different team.

i hope that was understandable^^

Yeah I thought about that as well. Maybe add that person to team 4 that has to be killed? Would I have to add the following line to the don't kill anyone objective:

objx_1_spec1 - ai_team 2 3

@Carnage: Sorry, once again I read your post in a hurry and missed the bit about 'no one else'. I think I read it to mean just kill that one exclusively not everyone but you mean you want two things: kill a specific AI. No other Kills. Mmmm... I think Sonsuke has the answer to do it with teams:

Set your specific AI to a special team that is not used in your map (see wiki) Then set the relationship (see wiki) of that team to be friendly with his original team and make his original team friendly with his new team

Set your kill objective to kill anyone on this new team. Because there will only be one AI on this team in your map then the objective will succeed only when he is killed.

Set your no kill objective to NOT kill anyone on the other team(s) It won't fail if the above is killed.

Noticing torches and relighting them is not a major alert. I don't know if it is a very low level alert though without testing. I doubt it. I think they just see it as having blown out in a draught.

@Sonosuke: Is that a special slider door entity? Or a normal door where you've set the translation (slide) values and set the rotation to zero? I can almost understand if it doesn't work on the former but not the latter.

Yeah I thought about that as well. Maybe add that person to team 4 that has to be killed? Would I have to add the following line to the don't kill anyone objective:

What team depends on your map. Pick one from the wiki that you will never ever use like a mage or a pagan or something.

Use the editor and it's fairly self-explanatory - set Kill, NOT, then in the specifier choose the team thing and put in the team number.

its a special slider, or... well its not a door entety. does not really matter, i will just move a path corner a bit so that its not too obvious.

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

that would be interesting, i may test it. Maybe you can set something on the AI? Well i may try with triggers too, something like absence markers... hmm

'Night.

I am having trouble with my readables - again. Some of them display their text, some don't. The XD file bits are set up identically. The entities in the map are set up identically. The console returns the following error messages:

non-existant xdata declaration

num_pages not defined

But the number of pages are defined and the xdata declaration is there.

What the hell could be wrong? This is driving me mad. :(

[edit] For what it's worth, here are the two readable segments. Is there anything wrong with them? Where?

Ledger_Note
{
precache
"num_pages" : "1"

"page1_left_title" : 
{
"" 
}
"page1_left_body" :
{
"Fourth of Oriens, Mournsday"
""
"I. Brother Cudgel, three spools copper wiring IN"
"II. Brother Cudgel, four measures ambergline OUT"
"III. Father Guillave, morning inspection"
"IV. Brother Casagave, four straw bales IN"
"V. Brother Casagave, three bales wool IN"
"VI. Brother Casagave, small barrel of ale IN"
"VII. Brother Cudgel, reporting the all-clear"
"VIII. Father Guillave & Brother Landsdale, noon inspection"
"IX. Father Guillave, six candles OUT"
}

"page1_right_title" :
{
"" 
}
"page1_right_body" :
{
"X. Brother Marcel, meal delivery, Builder be praised"
"XI. Brother Landsdale, straw bale OUT (what took him so much - reek of liquor?)"
"XII. Brother Cudgel, request for rope arrows (where ARE they?)"
"XIII. Father Guillave, afternoon inspection"
"XIV. Brother Marcel, small barrel of ale IN"
"XV. Brother Marcel, Compendium of Major Sermons OUT"
"XVI. Brother Theodore, starwatching"
"XVII. Brother Cudgel, supper delivery"
"XVIII. Brother Marcel, cellar duty"
"XIX. Father Guillave, evening inspection"
""
}

"page2_left_title" : 
{
"" 
}
"page2_left_body" :
{
""
}

"page2_right_title" :
{
"" 
}
"page2_right_body" :
{
""
}

"page3_left_title" :
{
"" 
}
"page3_left_body" :
{
""
}

"page3_right_title" : 
{
"" 
}
"page3_right_body" :
{
""
}

"gui_page1" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_bamberg.gui"
"gui_page2" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_bamberg.gui"
"gui_page3" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_bamberg.gui"
"gui_page4" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_bamberg.gui" //NO NEED TO DELETE UNWANTED PAGES HERE
"gui_page5" : "guis/readables/books/book_gothic_bamberg.gui" //COPY LINES & RENUMBER TO ADD PAGES

"snd_page_turn" : "readable_page_turn"
}

Closure
{
precache
"num_pages" : "1"

"page1_title" :
{
"" 
}
"page1_body" :
{
"My Brothers,"
""
"the way to the cloister, and our works, shall be closed and bolted from the other side as the venerable Father has ordered. Guard thyselves well from sundown to sunrise, ere the accursed heretic return to wreak further havoc on us. One brother should check the attic with regularity, as it has been found that a clever miscreant might enter through the window overlooking the alleyway leading to Millescourt."
""
"--Brother Tellis"
}

"page2_title" :
{
"" 
}
"page2_body" :
{
""
}

"page3_title" :
{
"" 
}
"page3_body" :
{
""
}

"page4_title" :
{
"" 
}
"page4_body" :
{
""
}

"page5_title" :
{
"" 
}
"page5_body" :
{
""
}

"gui_page1" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_nancy.gui"
"gui_page2" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_nancy.gui"
"gui_page3" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_nancy.gui"
"gui_page4" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_nancy.gui" //NO NEED TO DELETE UNWANTED PAGES HERE
"gui_page5" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_nancy.gui" //COPY LINES & RENUMBER TO ADD PAGES

"snd_page_turn" : "readable_page_turn"
}

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

non-existant xdata declaration

num_pages not defined

On my map that showed up when the readable in DR is not exactly called like in the XD files.

example:

in the xd file the readable is called - note_of_one_guy

and the xdata_contents is set to - note_ofOne_guy

or something like that. But if you have checked that, i dont know what could be wrong

edit: but i only started working with readables yesterday so i am not very good with these yet

Edited by Sonosuke

Checkout http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Readables#Troubleshooting

Also consider sometimes the error is earlier in the file above the one that is giving the trouble. You also need to reload TDM or use gameError, reloadDecls, map <name> to see changes in xdata, just reloadDecls isn't enough.

Another possibility is the file is not in the right place I suppose. It would work in darkmod\xdata or in <gamefolder>\xdata if TDM is pointing to it.

I've been through scores and scores of these readables errors over the last couple of years which is one reason I made the prefabs to try to make it a bit easier. They do drive us nutty sometimes but it's just because there are a lot of details and it is easy for something tiny to go wrong.

Okay, it is the next day and I am less tired - I found a missing quotation mark. Lesson: if two sequential readables aren't working, the problem is likely to be in the first.

This is seriously annoying, though. I am not a programmer, I don't have an eye for that sort of thing. :(

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Been there. Done that. But with practice you do get quicker at spotting where the errors are. ;) One day perhaps someone will write a wysiwyg editor. You type directly onto the background parchment in the correct font and text flows to following pages and all the formatting is taken care of.

Fidcal and Sonosuke, just wanted to let you know that your suggestions and help with the objectives worked. Thanks for that. Now I do have another issue. I installed my mission and loaded it. When it's loaded and I press esc it doesn't go to the main menu but to the difficulty screen and you can choose your objectives again. If you then select a different difficulty, go to the main menu and to the objectives screen, the difficulty is changed to the one you choose the second time. After that it works correctly though and you can't change difficulty again. This issue only occurs in the beginning. Any idea why and how I can fix it?

Never seen that before. Perhaps some conflict with paths. Have you got your original map file in darkmod/maps? And now you have a pk4 with the map in a maps folder inside it? If so, try moving your original map elsewhere while you test.

If it's not that, can you describe what your set up is? Where is your original development files? What is the folder structure inside your pk4.

What is the folder structure and files inside the game folder that is created when you install at the menu?

Perhaps there is an error in the objectives entity. If you used my post to paste those values directly into the entity in a plain text editor perhaps you pasted it at the wrong place? This is an example of how it should look. Note the whole thing is enclosed within an opening curly bracket and a closing one:

// entity 99

{

"classname" "atdm:target_addobjectives"

"name" "atdm_target_addobjectives_1"

"origin" "0 72 24"

"obj1_desc" "New objective 1"

"obj1_ongoing" "0"

"obj1_visible" "1"

"obj1_mandatory" "1"

"obj1_irreversible" "0"

"obj1_state" "0"

"obj1_1_state" "0"

"obj1_1_not" "0"

"obj1_1_irreversible" "0"

"obj1_1_player_responsible" "0"

"obj1_1_type" "kill"

"obj1_1_spec1" "name"

"obj1_1_spec_val1" "Jake"

"obj1_1_args" "0"

}

What did you do about the missing objective numbers I mentioned?

As far as I know there aren't any conflicting paths. I've got my pk4 in the fms folder and my orginal map in the maps folder. I don't have a pk4 in that one. I deleted the folder in the maps folder and tried again, but that didn't make any difference. I also have a few back ups on a different drive, with pk4's in them. My folder structure is:

maps, guis, xdata, startingmap, darkmod, readme, install_splash.tga. In the maps folder are 4 files; cm, proc, aas32 and map. In the guis I have assets and map. In assets I have a tga file and I have a gui file in the map folder. In xdata I have two .xd files.

I don't know where to find the file where all the entities are in, so I just typed it in the "addobjectives" in Dark Radiant and changed your objective number with ones that matched my objective order.

Maybe it's an idea to send you a dload link with my map, so you can look at it?

Edited by Carnage

When it's loaded and I press esc it doesn't go to the main menu but to the difficulty screen and you can choose your objectives again. If you then select a different difficulty, go to the main menu and to the objectives screen, the difficulty is changed to the one you choose the second time. After that it works correctly though and you can't change difficulty again. This issue only occurs in the beginning. Any idea why and how I can fix it?

Strange, i have exactly the same problem O.o

edit: the map is basicly finished, and you can still do all the objectives, only that the difficulty settings appear on the first time you press esc

Edited by Sonosuke

Its my own FM, i did not notice it before, maybe it has something to do with the startingmap v3?

edit: and what is the .bak data? do i need to pack this up too?

Edited by Sonosuke

No, don't pack up the .bak nor the .darkradiant normally. (some might say that other mappers might want to use it though.)

I'll take a look at startmap but the same mystery applies. What's the name of your pk4 and folder Sono? Just wondering if it's a long filename problem (which makes no sense but once you've exhausted the sensible possibilities...) :)

Its: "living_expenses" i think that should be ok. but i will try with "living"to confirm

Edited by Sonosuke

O.O hmmm.... well starting map was used before right? So i dont think that could be the reason, what else...

edit: I have tried to delete the usersettings, packed again but still the same

Edited by Sonosuke