The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

The objectives only test for an object in the inventory not carried unfortunately. I've raised this issue but so far not resolved. A carried object is 'in the world' and can be knocked out of your grasp.

A 'get object' objective can be set to be irreversible or not so if dropped after completion it is up to the mapper. Example:

Get Horn of Agamemnon. Make reversible so if player drops it then objective is not complete. He must keep it. In fact just removing it from the inventory to carry it makes it incomplete. (typically make such objects undroppable if possible.)

Find info about Jack the Lad. Make irreversible. Find scroll. Objective complete. Can drop scroll without it becoming incomplete. There are better examples but I can't think of one right now.

• Like 1

Unfortunate. I will send you a PM outlining the issue.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The only thing I can think of (at least in the meantime) is to use a script to check the player's hands on a regular basis (every 1-2 seconds).

void am_i_holding_big_loot()
{
// scriptEvent entity heldEntity() Returns the entity currently being held, or $null if the player's hands are empty.
if ( $player1.heldEntity() = $big_loot_item ) //If player is holding big_loot_item
{
$player1.setObjectiveState( ObjNum, OBJ_COMPLETE ); //first argument is the numerical index of the objective
//Choose the following for the second argument:
//OBJ_INCOMPLETE, OBJ_COMPLETE, OBJ_FAILED, OBJ_INVALID
}
if ( $player1.heldEntity() != $big_loot_item ) //If NOT holding big_loot_item
{
$player1.setObjectiveState( ObjNum, OBJ_INCOMPLETE ); //first argument is the numerical index of the objective
//Choose the following for the second argument:
//OBJ_INCOMPLETE, OBJ_COMPLETE, OBJ_FAILED, OBJ_INVALID
}
}

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Mortem Desino: how could I assign this to a concrete object (named, say, 'Explosives')? And where should I place this bit of script?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Just a little thing for whoever was asking for a Notepad++ language to deal with the xdata files:

My TDM Presets (right click the link, "save as")

A screenshot - remember to change colours to your needs

Drop the file into your Notepad++ folder, be careful if you have predefined user languages, merge it manually (if you dont know what they are, just click overwrite).

They should cover : xdata, materials and skin files.

I use a darker background, so the colours on a white background will look terrible, go to view->user define dialog and change them as you see fit!

If I have missed any keywords etc, please just let me know. I added all the ones I could find easily.

User languages are limited, but if you think there are issues, please let me know.

(to spot problems in your xdata files, if any text shows up red that isnt the name of the section, you are missing a " around there)

Edited by Serpentine
  • Like 1

Well, melan, I've figured out that it's just a lot easier to use two location settings.

By taking the item away from a location entity (Let item NOT be in location), you can fulfill "pick up this item".

By putting the item into a location entity, you can fulfill "put this item over there."

This way it's all done with the objectives system.

Download the attachment, and rename it grabberobj.map. It's a simple example of how to do the above.

grabberobj.txt

• Like 1

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Great! With some adjustments and Fidcal's help, this will make for a workable setup. B) Thank you!

Yet another small question: is there a quick way to turn a volume of liquid into something that damages the player?I tried searching the wiki for lava, but no luck.

Edited by Melan

Good point, I guess nobody's actually used lava yet. I'm guessing a trigger_hurt combined with some appropriately-textured water would be the way to go, but I'm fuzzy on the details.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Another question: if I want the mission to have two Escape Zones, will it work if I clone the one I have? In the startpack, it is called EscZone; if there are two, one will be renamed EscZone2 (of course). Alternatively, if this is not right, how would I go about modifying the success logic of the objectives? Right now, it is Let the target 0 entities of spawnclass idPlayer be at location entity EscZone. In the Location selector, I can choose a Group identifier (component-specific) argument, but what should my input be?

Yes you can certainly clone the EscZones. You need to set up two components in the same objective - one for each EscZone. Just click the Add button again to add another component. You then add into the box above where it says Success Logic: 1 OR 2. So if either of the two components is fulfilled then the objective is completed.

Just a little thing for whoever was asking for a Notepad++ language to deal with the xdata files:

My TDM Presets (right click the link, "save as")

A screenshot - remember to change colours to your needs

Drop the file into your Notepad++ folder, be careful if you have predefined user languages, merge it manually (if you dont know what they are, just click overwrite).

They should cover : xdata, materials and skin files.

I use a darker background, so the colours on a white background will look terrible, go to view->user define dialog and change them as you see fit!

If I have missed any keywords etc, please just let me know. I added all the ones I could find easily.

User languages are limited, but if you think there are issues, please let me know.

(to spot problems in your xdata files, if any text shows up red that isnt the name of the section, you are missing a " around there)

Still had no time to look at this so grabbed the files and copied your info to a folder on my desktop until I can find time.... :rolleyes:

assuming that I want to build a really big map, is there a limit? Maybe a limit how much can be pre-loaded? Would it be better to wait til loading in the mission is suportet?

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

• 2 weeks later...

The only ways I know for a patch not to show in the editor are:

• If you are looking at it from the wrong side. Try moving around to the other side in camera view.
  • If you have a filter on (see filter menu) with patches or decals set.
  • If you selected it and set Hide.
  • If it is part of a mover entity so is in a different place in game to in the editor
  • If it is part of an entity that is corrupted possibly. I'm unsure of that though. But you could try g_showEntityInfo 1 in the console (in game) then when you are close to it it should show the name of the entity (if it's origin is close) and you can enter that name in the Entity List in Dark Radiant.