The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

One more thing. I want the guard sleeping on a ground on a quilt or something like that. But the sleeping path is adjusted for a common (higher) beds. So the guard fellow is sleeping in the air above the ground . So is there any way how to figure out it? 

You can't make guards sleep on the ground at the moment (well, there may be some hacky way to do it, but nothing obvious).

In the A-Z tutorial is written to give UV mapping scale coordinates by hand for floor texture in surface editor (0.3 for both x/y). But the place to put them is greyed for me, only step edit boxes are interactive and those seem to decide how much is added when using arrows. But it's impossible for me to give absolute values by hand.

Tried 1.0.2 and 1.1.0. Is it normal? Or I just dont understand something?

BTW, nice work on editor portability, good that you've chosen GtkRadiant as a base. Just compiled it on gentoo and works perfectly. Not many portable games that can be edited in all operating systems that the main game runs.

Edited by Havner

BTW, nice work on editor portability, good that you've chosen GtkRadiant as a base.

Not that there was much to choose from. ;) It was a bumpy ride to get where we are now with DarkRadiant, and there's still so much to do.

Yes, it only works on a single brush surface.

So why it's referenced in the tutorial to do something that can't be done at that point? Besides isn't one wall after making a room a single brush? Or it's about selecting just one face from it?

So why it's referenced in the tutorial to do something that can't be done at that point? Besides isn't one wall after making a room a single brush? Or it's about selecting just one face from it?

Well, I have a feeling it used to be possible, and if I put it in the tutorial then that confirms it was so. Maybe the feature has been lost or maybe I, like you, don't know how to do it.

Is it possible to let a wall, which is composed of loose bricks (like in the FM Trapped!), fall apart by a swaying object (like a huge stone or tree trunk)? So the wall will collapse when it is hit by an object.

I'm fairly sure that wall would. Try it out by throwing some heavy rocks or chairs or something at it. If it basically works then you need some care setting up so as much as possible collapses. I don't think a mover would work though so you probably need a moveable to hit the wall. If you don't want the blocks to be frobable then give them frobable 0. They can still be pushed so any remaining rubble can be pushed out of the way but frobable 1 is safer in case they get jammed. I would need to experiment myself to get this to work. Their are other options too such as s & r and teleporting which we used in Saint Lucia to smash the statue. Try the first method first though. If you need any help or clarification with any of it then post again.

About wall destruction etc : just be aware that you will have to try and use a few tricks, if too many physics objects come into contact they generally freeze in place, you might want to make them not interact with eachother for the duration of the fall or something like that. So if you do see things freezing, just remember the limit is fairly low :)

Me again :D . Is it possible to apply more textures on one brush (or patch)? For example I have a ground with the grass texture and I want to make a path on the same surface.

You can only apply one shader to a single brush face. If you need more than one shader, you either need to split the brush into pieces, cover it with patches or use vertex blending.

I'm fairly sure that wall would. Try it out by throwing some heavy rocks or chairs or something at it. If it basically works then you need some care setting up so as much as possible collapses. I don't think a mover would work though so you probably need a moveable to hit the wall. If you don't want the blocks to be frobable then give them frobable 0. They can still be pushed so any remaining rubble can be pushed out of the way but frobable 1 is safer in case they get jammed. I would need to experiment myself to get this to work. Their are other options too such as s & r and teleporting which we used in Saint Lucia to smash the statue. Try the first method first though. If you need any help or clarification with any of it then post again.

Would it also work if I placed loose bricks in a floor and let it support by a moveable wooden board, which is support by moveable support beams? So removing the support beams would let the wooden board go down and with that the bricks as well?

Probably, but as Serp said, likely slowmo with lots of falling stuff. You need to experiment.

Something that might be useful with different ideas I think is the spawnarg nodrop 1 on moveables which I think keeps them in place plus you can target a moveable so it drops. For example, I have put a moveable candle on a loot candlestick. then added to the candlestick target <candle name> When the player frobs the loot the candle falls down.

Keep posting but try some tests on simple moveables in a test map so you find what works best before you waste time actual building something complex.

Could we make a 'zombie Kaboom' ? That's what it is called in Dromed. Basically when you explode a zombie

ie:holywater stim>zombie=no zombie + zombie parts 1-9 + zombie kaboom.

zombie kaboom is a silent explosion with no particles, it does do damage to player if close enough but I think we could not have it damage player.

Of course it could be called 'silent kaboom' or something.

So you could have a wall, recieves impact from tree, creates kaboom which violently scatters the bricks.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I wonder how to make smooth crossing between the footpath and the grass like at this screenshot. :blink: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4275

My first post! Firstly I would like to thank everyone on the developement/graphic/programming team that brought us this lovely mod! I was at work, surfing the internet, when I first saw the release of a mod that would transform Doom 3 to a thiefgame WITH ropearrows and all the good stuff from the previous games. And it is solely dependent on us fans making the maps. :)

Is it possible to rezise models/static meshes?

Edited by Fieldmedic

Hi, hope this question hasn't been answered already somewhere else... I downloaded the mod and have run a few missions, everything seems ok there, however, when I run DarkRadiant the grid views begin by responding to my mouse sluggishly and then cease up completely. I downloaded the C++ thingy from the site and am running on the following:

windows vista

Dual Core T7500 2.2 GHz

3 GB ram

GeForce 8600M GT

sometimes I get a couple of seconds of good movement, my cameraview is set to wireframe so I don't think it can be a graphical issue

thanks for the help,

Whisper

Hi, hope this question hasn't been answered already somewhere else... I downloaded the mod and have run a few missions, everything seems ok there, however, when I run DarkRadiant the grid views begin by responding to my mouse sluggishly and then cease up completely. I downloaded the C++ thingy from the site and am running on the following:

windows vista

Dual Core T7500 2.2 GHz

3 GB ram

GeForce 8600M GT

sometimes I get a couple of seconds of good movement, my cameraview is set to wireframe so I don't think it can be a graphical issue

thanks for the help,

Whisper

Find darkradiant.exe. Right click it and go to properties. Go to the compatibility tab and disable desktop composition.

Then run the program and see if that helps.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I can't see the pic so it's hard to give any advice.

Texture blending can't be done like some editors, so you can't blend rock into grass with a paint tool.

You could do that in photoshop so you have several materials. Grass, grass fade to dirt, dirt... That can get complicated depending on how nice you want it to look.

Or you could have a grass tex with a dirt path down the middle, then warp the patches around so it (the dirt path) curves some.

Also possible to have a dirt path overlay (decal), would be a strip of dirt down the middle with transparency on each side to fade into grass (Actallu I think we need this).

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

You can't really do that with a visible texture - only will a dark smudge. The reason is that you have to blend it and then it does not respond to local light. With care you might adjust its brightness to match a situation but a nearby torch or player lantern won't light it so any variation like dousing a torch won't change it so it will look luminous. Believe me I've tried everything I can think of. The nearest you can get to it is with one of my crumb decals. If you lay down all grass then a strip of one of the crumb decals on top it might work.

With Blender or some other modelling tool you would make a model path like the one in the trainer archery area and the texture can be blended on the model.

Here's an old test I did with some grass crumb decal over stone but it was far from perfect and I never submitted it. The dirt crumb decals are in Release 1 though so worth a try.

post-400-126418926671_thumb.jpg