The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I think it will rotate around the xyz of the model like a door so that should be OK.

However, I think this is going to need a script because this is what I was thinking..

Add to the above:

Create a trigger_relay entity

Give it:

delay 5 (for 5 seconds)

wait 0 (I am uncertain -try also -1 and 5 if it doesn't work)

target1 brush

Create another relay like the above but to target the gear

Now target your lever at these relays as well as directly to the rotators.

The idea is the lever starts one rotator and the relay stops it 5 seconds later.

But I think it will go horribly wrong because basically you want 3 states but targets only really provide a toggle. It might be possible but really I think the best way is a script.

If nobody else can come up with a solution then I'll see if I can write a script for this but I'd want to see the actual setup and be positive of what is wanted before I attempt it. (don't want to spend time creating the wrong thing!)

I have the lever hooked up to the ceiling, which uses atdm:mover_door. When the lever is pulled, the ceiling rotates 90 degrees. When it is pulled in the other direction, it rotates back. I want the gears to spin so it looks like they mesh with the ring gear on the outside of the ceiling.

gearss.th.png

Edited by killhour

I see. I think it basically wants the lever to...

start the invisible brush rotary clockwise (with the visible gear attached)

start a timer to stop it after 5 seconds

change the lever mode so next time it targets the gear rotary

start the visible gear rotary

start a timer to stop it after 5 seconds

change the lever mode so next time it targets the invisible brush rotary

The lever might also need disabling during the rotation else another frob might cause problems.

Improvising a 'lever mode' is the tricky bit. All I can think of right now is to swap two different levers by teleport; one lever targets the brush(es) and the other the gear(s).

I think that might work. I've ran out of time tonight but I'll experiment with it tomorrow if nobody else comes up with a better solution or you get it working.

This is easier than I thought because strangely the func_rotating automatically reverses. It's a bit like a door in that respect. That would make it difficult for anyone who wants to start and stop a one-way rotator but it makes it easier for this (maybe this is a lever function?)

Give each gear:

start_on 0 (starts stationary)

dmg 0 (so no damage if blocked)

noshadows 1 (optionally unless you want a shadow)

speed 100 (looked about right and is the correct direction. You might possibly want to slow them a bit)

y_axis 1

Create one trigger_relay

Give this:

name telescope_gear_stopper

delay 5

wait 0

targetN telescope_gear_N (ie, target every gear just like the lever does)

Give the lever for each gear:

targetN telescope_gear_N (you already have this)

target21 telescope_gear_stopper

That works but if the player frobs the lever several times without waiting it can get out of sync so...

Create a small brush around the lever

Give it clip texture

Convert it to atdm:target_set_frobable

Give it start_frobable 1

Name it say LeverFrobControl

To the lever add:

target22 LeverFrobControl (this stops the lever being frobbed again)

To the trigger_relay give:

target22 LeverFrobControl (this lets the lever be frobbed again after the rotation)

The above seems to work fine.

(impressive set up btw! )

Oooh..! Is this going to be an observatory??

(this next statement not meant to be taken seriously...)

Perhaps you guys could patch in the code from Stellarium and have the player be able to do some stargazing... lol, that would be a hoot!

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Oooh..! Is this going to be an observatory??

(this next statement no meant to be taken seriously...)

Perhaps you guys could patch in the code from Stellarium and have the player be able to do some stargazing... lol, that would be a hoot!

Yes, yes it is. biggrin.gif

Edit: Thanks Fidcal, worked like a charm! Half of the gears turned the wrong way, but that was easily fixable.

Edited by killhour

Yes, yes it is. biggrin.gif

I did some tinkering around tonight and this is what I came up with... :)

A small wooden Newtonian reflector scope...

telescope002.png

You can see a star in the eyepiece...

telescope001.png

Silver mirror and a 45 degree secondary mirror at the top...

telescope003.png

Lookin' at the moon :)

telescope004.png

ROFL, that was a fun way to spend a few hours tonight.

Edited by PranQster

PranQster: i've made a telescope model with legs that you might use if you want but i still need to finish it up and pack.

Thanks, I would like to see your telescope model.

I didn't make that scope for any reason other than finding out if I could. I am a complete newb at DR and doing so helped me learn more about building things with brushes. I was going to make a functional mirror at the back end of the scope, until I read about making mirrors in DR and how they actually work. Right now, making a visportal perpendicular to the angle of the scope just so a part of the sky, and the player's face, could be reflected in it is just too much for me to deal with at this early stage. So I opted for a silver surface and it worked fine for me. Putting the sky portal texture on the eyepiece was neat, though of course the view "through" it is not accurate and changes greatly depending on the player position.

Next will be to experiment with the sky portal texture on the eyepiece to see if I can restrict it to only a certain part of it, not changing if the player looks at it from a different angle. That way I could, say, point the scope at the moon and always have the moon visible in the eyepiece.

After seeing the messages posted by killhour and Fidcal, I got to wondering if I could make a reasonable telescope in DR with brushes since I have no experience with modeling.

Even though I have Blender, and have maintained an installation of Blender on my computers for several years, I have never learned even the basics of using it. Seriously, all I have ever done with Blender is to render the default grey cube after Blender starts. I think I need both the Blender tutorials and a keyboard template to help me learn it.

I am building a window that can be opened. What kind of mover I should add to the window? I used atdm:mover_door but it rotates from the middle vertical axis.

EDIT: Never mind. I find out how to move the origin so it can fit my purpose.

Edited by Snakebite

Everything that affects level geometry - brushes, patches, textures etc. - but not object and AI placement and such.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I am getting a weird error after loading a good dmaped file: "Tried to bind world to another entity". Any idea to what it refers?

I am getting it after creating a frame for a glass that is supposed to be a window, converted both the frame and the glass to a func_static, added a adtm:movable_door and moved the axis near one of the vertical frame brushes.Without them it works fine. What is weird is that I made this before when playing around in the same map and it worked fine.

Edited by Snakebite

New paths but not moving a path (or I guess runAAS would do)

These are included in what Melan said...

Renaming a brush/patch entity.

Retexturing or any change to texture like rotation/rescaling.

New moveable (I think) because it needs to update the cm.

I am getting a weird error after loading a good dmaped file: "Tried to bind world to another entity". Any idea to what it refers?

I am getting it after creating a frame for a glass that is supposed to be a window, converted both the frame and the glass to a func_static, added a adtm:movable_door and moved the axis near one of the vertical frame brushes.Without them it works fine. What is weird is that I made this before when playing around in the same map and it worked fine.

After resizing the frame to form a square (in grid 1 - 2x2) and not as I first created them (3x2), everything works fine. It might have something to do with the brushes/functions colliding and eventually Z fighting?

EDIT: One working window is fine. I cloned it and boom -> I got this error again and now I think is not the size. It must be a good way to copy a window. I don't really want to make each one of it.

EDIT2: I found another way to do it in the wiki page. Still, I would like to know what was wrong

Edited by Snakebite

All I wanted to create was an openable window. Before reading the wiki I was creating a func_static from the frame+glass and I added adtm:movers_door to it, moving the Z axis near one side of the frame to open naturally. This was fine - for one window. As soon as I cloned it, I got that error. Now I solved it using the wiki model. But I was curious of the weird behavior of the clones.

Edited by Snakebite

I'm puzzled by what you mean by adding a door to a func_static. Do you mean you converted the brushes to a func_static and then converted them again to a door? You can assign them to a door entity in one go. Just create any brush/patch arrangement then select create entity in the RMB menu. The func_static option is just a shortcut to creating the most common entity. Anyway, if it's working now that's all that matters.

I'm puzzled by what you mean by adding a door to a func_static. Do you mean you converted the brushes to a func_static and then converted them again to a door? You can assign them to a door entity in one go. Just create any brush/patch arrangement then select create entity in the RMB menu. The func_static option is just a shortcut to creating the most common entity. Anyway, if it's working now that's all that matters.

You got it right. That's the way I did it before. But is working now. It was an unnecessary step to convert it to an entity. Back to work - Dark Radiant is somehow addictive. If only I had enough time...