The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Models grid snap to their origins and may be any shape. Don't worry about snapping those though - just move them where you want and set a tiny grid if necessary for instance to place a torch against a wall.

If you are referring to making the window roof then don't use bevels:

Create a simple patch width 5 x 3

V for vertex mode and select all 9 inner vertices (see them black in the picture)

post-400-127695103696_thumb.jpg

Turn grid view to side and set grid of say 8.

Use Alt + arrow Up to move those vertices up to get a smooth curve.

post-400-127695105791_thumb.jpg

V to get out of vertex mode

You need menu > patch > matrix > invert to get the texture underneath.

In Surface Inspector put tdm_manwindow02

post-400-127695107687_thumb.jpg

You might need to experiment a bit to get it right and probably have to make some brush beam frames around the side etc.

I can't seem to find the texture (tdm_manwindow02) anywhere, though. I think I'll use some glass surface (clear_warped I am using atm) and then having a skybox outside.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9326/shot00025d.jpg

Re-creating the wood beams will be alot of pain O_O! Is there any easier way than having to pin-point brushes and to fit? I'm unsure how the curved wooden brushes will be constructed, since it will have to bend just like the window. Is there any obvious way I am missing out on?

Nevermind, it wasn't all that hard.

http://img571.images.../shot00026e.jpg

I'm not sure it carries the same "oomph" that the model did though, but I'm not sure whats missing either.

Still; there's St.Lucia left too :wacko: Not sure how I can fix that with brushes though?

EDIT: Oh yeah! can you add lightning effects to the sky? would be wicked!

Edited by KaiserJohan

all you ever wanted to know about victorian gas lighting.

gas, candles, and oil lights

Yes, that's a good read - though it didn't actually give the colour. But I've found that now and early ones are yellow. One forum post said the later gas mantle produced a pale green light but I've yet to confirm that. I'm happy with yellow. It makes sense that feeding in air produces a more forced blue flame better for heating while a bright yellow flame is better for lighting. I'm fairly sure in Thief 2 they were pale blue so they may have got it wrong.

Good work KJ - looks like you figured it all out. I was going to say just paste in that texture name into Surface Inspector (that's what I did!) but your clear glass is actually better.

I don't know what the St. Lucia question means.

St.lucia behaves the same as the old man_window_sky did. I enlarged the statue about 2.5x times, and now it will partly dissappear from your view sometimes aswell as kill you! if you get close. I don't know if you can fix it with brushes. Is there anything else easy one can do to fix it?

How did you do on the Tears of St.Lucia? That statue was enlarged quite abit too wasn't it? The original statue is quite small.

I'm not sure it carries the same "oomph" that the model did though, but I'm not sure whats missing either.

If you make the patches into func_statics you can give them a spawn arg "_colour" and then depending on what colour you select you will re-colour the glass. The darker the colour the more transparent the glass will be, so start off quite bright and just try find a nice colour :) Greens and bluish-purple look pretty good but have a look around.

EDIT: Oh yeah! can you add lightning effects to the sky? would be wicked!

If you're using sky-portals you can add effects etc into the skybox, move the moon brush etc around. Just don't put in very large/expensive particle effects but you can get loads of flexibility out of it (esp if you fiddle with material's!)

the translucent one is the best

It doesn't look very convincing to me. Far too transparent for solid lamp glass.

St.lucia behaves the same as the old man_window_sky did. I enlarged the statue about 2.5x times, and now it will partly dissappear from your view sometimes aswell as kill you! if you get close. I don't know if you can fix it with brushes. Is there anything else easy one can do to fix it?

How did you do on the Tears of St.Lucia? That statue was enlarged quite abit too wasn't it? The original statue is quite small.

No it was the normal statue in St. L. If there is only a small area where it disappears maybe you can put something to stop the player going there. If nothing tangible makes sense then a clip brush. I don't know of any solution to the actual problem.

Aight, I'll downsize the statue abit and see how it looks.

Also-- what about desks/drawers with lids'n'stuff which can be frobbed and opened separetely? I've seen it in the No Honor Amongst Thieves series. I thought it was part of a prefab but couldn't find it there. Hopefully you don't have to recreate the entire desk in form of brushes? :P

If nothing tangible makes sense then a clip brush. I don't know of any solution to the actual problem.

agreed, player clip that thing, problem solved.

I also have my own problem now. I'm working on my submission for the vert contest now, and ran into a wall. I need an entity that is both atdm:liquid_water and func_bobbing at the same time... is that even possible?

edit: after converting the water to func_bobbing, it seemed to retain its water properties, so it works, but if I rename the entity, it now renames the model, and stops functioning as water....? wth? maybe I need to read up on class inheritence or something.

On the plus side, I now have a perfectly functioning beach for the base of my cliff!!! SS's soon to follow in the WIP thread.

Edited by ungoliant

Aight, I'll downsize the statue abit and see how it looks.

Also-- what about desks/drawers with lids'n'stuff which can be frobbed and opened separetely? I've seen it in the No Honor Amongst Thieves series. I thought it was part of a prefab but couldn't find it there. Hopefully you don't have to recreate the entire desk in form of brushes? :P

They are under furniture > cabinets not under containers.

post-400-127701484394_thumb.jpg

post-400-127701485604_thumb.jpg

Note that they are not models * so you can customise by ripping off doors, shelves, top, etc and retexture (though some textures will take a bit of re-adjusting.)

Rotating the prefab is likely to change the origin of doors etc and possibly move placeholder contents. I recommend that on insertion (and yes, use RMB insert prefab to put them where you want) you put it straight into a layer. There are a LOT of components including clip and nodraw so if you have those filtered off then you need to take care if moving later.

* [EDIT] There are also smaller openable models there too, desks and cabinets

Ah yes, I forgot to mention I was looking for the openable version of "desk1", specifically :P

EDIT: also, how do you use, say, candelier_6candles effectively? I mean, first of all it seems to have 6 already lit candles (but they do not emit light), and if you do add light_candle entities, they will cause alot of lag? Also-- how does one alter the light properties of a lit candle entity? Pressing "L" will show up everything in gray.

Edited by KaiserJohan

alright, this ones driving me insane. WHATS ALL THIS THEN?!?!

these colors show up at random places on the sand upon every dmap. w..t...f

It looks to be vertex colouring, if you can give the exact material name it would help, otherwise if you could go to the material in the list and right click -> Show Material Def and look for any mention of VertexColor you'd be able to see for yourself. Anyway, just check the def for anything odd but I have a feeling its that, you could just make your own material by copying the defuse/bump etc stages.

It looks to be vertex colouring, if you can give the exact material name it would help, otherwise if you could go to the material in the list and right click -> Show Material Def and look for any mention of VertexColor you'd be able to see for yourself. Anyway, just check the def for anything odd but I have a feeling its that, you could just make your own material by copying the defuse/bump etc stages.

heres the def: lots of vertex color, but I dont know anything about material defs enough to fix it.

textures/rock/rock03_skysand1
{
stone

{
	blend 		bumpmap
	map		heightmap (textures/rock/skysand1_bmp.tga, 4)
}
{
	blend 		diffusemap
	map		textures/rock/skysand1_d.tga
	inverseVertexColor
}
{
	blend		specularmap
	map		textures/rock/skysand1_s.tga
	inverseVertexColor
}
{
	blend		bumpmap
	map		addnormals( textures/rock/rock04_local.tga, heightmap( textures/rock/rock04_h.tga, 8 ) )

}
{
	blend		diffusemap
	map		textures/rock/rock03_d.tga
	VertexColor
}
{
	blend 		specularmap
	map		textures/rock/rock03_s.tga
	VertexColor
}
}

EDIT: ok, after looking down the list a bit further, theres some other skysand textures, not sure what the difference is with any of them, but i picked one that didn't have any crazy vertexcolor or inversevertexcolor.

for the record, what exactly is vertexcoloring and why bother with it if it makes crazy rainbows on things?

Edited by ungoliant

comment out the inversevertexcolor and vertextcolor words to see if that gets rid of the dark patches.

eg

textures/rock/rock03_skysand1

{

stone

{

blend bumpmap

map heightmap (textures/rock/skysand1_bmp.tga, 4)

}

{

blend diffusemap

map textures/rock/skysand1_d.tga

// inverseVertexColor

}

{

blend specularmap

map textures/rock/skysand1_s.tga

// inverseVertexColor

}

{

blend bumpmap

map addnormals( textures/rock/rock04_local.tga, heightmap( textures/rock/rock04_h.tga, 8 ) )

}

{

blend diffusemap

map textures/rock/rock03_d.tga

// VertexColor

}

{

blend specularmap

map textures/rock/rock03_s.tga

// VertexColor

}

}

creating a sandy.mtr file put above material def in file, then putting it in a materials directory where the darkmod pack files are should override the material in the pack file.

or for more information

vertexcolor

inversevertexcolor

Edited by stumpy

Why not tie the chandelier to a chain? A lot of mansions and Victorian flats had that. That way, the light could be positioned lower, so it would hit both floor and ceiling evenly. The scene is generally too well lit; probably because of both oversized individual lights and the ambient_world.

I'd also add some more architecture to break up this space a bit - it looks a bit homogeneous and modern.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Snakebite: How is the chandelier set up? Is it an entity with built in light or just a model and you placed the light. If you placed the light then lower the light a few feet below. Not so far that it looks crazy of course. In addition do what Melan said and lower the model on a chain and the light even lower. Generally I try to move lights (or their light centre) away from surfaces but that's not possible with these custom light entities I don't think.

KJ: No, rotating groups of things is a pain and can only be fixed manually at the moment. Brush doors need their rotate values changing if you rotate the door. This is because the rotate values are relative to the model in a model door but to world directions in brushes. Say the door is 0 90 0 then change it to say 90 0 0 or vice versa. You might also need a minus sign, eg, 0 -90 0.