The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3575/shot00029rs.jpg

I've got those three sources (the candle in holder is from entity). They are all models which I put a light_candle_moving on. The problem is that it causes a substantial FPS drop, for only three lights! What can I do to improve performance?

I need some sort of light hanging from the roof, but the combined lights&models from "entities" just don't light up enough.

regarding underwater guis: the default thin green murk gui does not seem to work, and I cannot seem to find the underwater guis in the media panel in either texutres or 'other materials'. Is the only way to change them by finding the guis in the tdm_gui01.pk4 and manually entering the name into the underwater_gui spawnarg in DR?

KJ: You can use the 'set' spawnarg on those entities with _color and light_radius naming the flame so you might have eg, set _color on flame 0.2 0.2 0.9 or set _light_radius 320 320 320. Sometimes I put up a normal light first and adjust it till the lighting is correct then put in the light entity and copy the values over.

Dunno about the fps problem though. It doesn't look that light intensive.

ungoliant: The murks are listed here http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Swimmable_Water#Coloured_and_Murky_Water

Alright, will try that.

Also I stumble yet again on the ragdoll topic. Basically I have a ragdoll (or inanimate body, I dont mind which) which I want to be hanged. So I got a snare... but fitting the ragdolls head in there... O_o

I tried the g_dragEntity 1, but it's impossible to get into the hole!

can anyone direct me towards a beginner friendly guide to editing material files to get customized cool effects out of existing resources (if one exists)? I have the very basic elements down now, but a lot of the articles on modwiki for usage of certain global and stage keywords are a bit cryptic, and not beginner friendly. What I don't need is a lot of stuff about how to create bumpmaps and specular maps with Photoshop or GIMP. I want to know how to make existing textures partially transparent / reflective / blurred / swirl around / colored differently / blend into things / etc.

Alright, will try that.

Also I stumble yet again on the ragdoll topic. Basically I have a ragdoll (or inanimate body, I dont mind which) which I want to be hanged. So I got a snare... but fitting the ragdolls head in there... O_o

I tried the g_dragEntity 1, but it's impossible to get into the hole!

I tried but failed some time ago to get a good swinging hanging ragdoll. AFAIK only demagogue has succeeded with a static hanging man in Patently Dangerous. Take a look to see how it's done.

can anyone direct me towards a beginner friendly guide to editing material files to get customized cool effects out of existing resources (if one exists)? I have the very basic elements down now, but a lot of the articles on modwiki for usage of certain global and stage keywords are a bit cryptic, and not beginner friendly. What I don't need is a lot of stuff about how to create bumpmaps and specular maps with Photoshop or GIMP. I want to know how to make existing textures partially transparent / reflective / blurred / swirl around / colored differently / blend into things / etc.

Here's one useful link: http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php

Also I stumble yet again on the ragdoll topic. Basically I have a ragdoll (or inanimate body, I dont mind which) which I want to be hanged.

I tried but failed some time ago to get a good swinging hanging ragdoll. AFAIK only demagogue has succeeded with a static hanging man in Patently Dangerous. Take a look to see how it's done.

IIRC I used a chain and attached his top-spine joint to it, and it worked well enough.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It appears to be just add bind <ropename> to the ragdoll. But that was a static chain so I'm not sure if that will work with one of those rope entities or a pendulum rope. That's what I was trying a couple years back or so. 'bind' works from the origin of the ragdoll. AFAIK there is no 'bindFromJoint' type of spawnarg. But if you make a static rope then presumably it will work OK. With 'bind' you have to actually position the ragdoll where you want it.

I havn't done anything like that before, could you explain how you did it? :)

Just looked back at my map and Fidcal got it right. You need to bind the ragdoll to the chain (so the spawnarg ends up on the ragdoll), so it ends up looking like the spawnarg/value: "bind" "func_static_469", where func_static_469 is the chain.

(FYI, if you bind the chain to the ragdoll, spawnarg on chain, then it's just going to be pulled down by gravity. If you bind the ragdoll to the chain, spawnarg on ragdoll, then the chain stays where it is and you get the hanging.)

Is it possible to convert rope entities to func_statics? Anyway, the chain doesn't look bad and does the job.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm not sure. I also wonder if there are static rope models. Anyway, it is very easy to make rope with a cylinder patch. The rope texture is under fabrics. I did make a patch noose somewhere. But I was using a pendulum entity and the ragdoll shook himself to the ground. Actually that reminds me - there is a noose model of course in the dungeon stuff. But I doubt somehow the noose will fit neatly around a ragdoll head.

Actually DR now has an easier way - just select the entity you want to attach, then also select the thing you want to attach it to, and in the menus select "Entity" - "Bind selected entities" :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

there is a noose model of course in the dungeon stuff. But I doubt somehow the noose will fit neatly around a ragdoll head.

I remember it. But now that you mention brushes, the best way may be to just make it in 2 pieces and convert them into func_statics, the straight rope part that binds to the AI, then you custom-make the loop around his neck and place and bind that so it roughly connects to the straight piece (another thing I did similarly in my FM).

@Komag, I remember that, too. The only reason I didn't mention it is I forget which way to do it so that the spawnarg is on the ragdoll (bind ragdoll to the rope I guess), but yeah, whichever way that is is the way to go. (,")-b

Just did a quick test of a hanging man bound to a patch rope and it wouldn't work for me either - he just drops. But then I found it works if you clip him into any model. I just put a func_static cork in the middle of his body. In fact the bind does nothing`. You need to either make him frobable 0 or hide the model in the rope/noose patchwork. Making it solid 0 doesn't work - he just drops. Using a pendulum doesn't work either - he wriggles lose. The noose model is way over-scale btw - maybe double.