The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

How do I make a switch become unfrobable after I've frobbed it once?

Drag a small brush around the switch. It doesn't have to fit perfectly.

Texture it clip

Make it a atdm:target_set_frobable entity

Give it the property start_frobable 1

Give the switch target the above entity

Is it possible to make brush boards and turn them into the same movable entities that are the "junk boards"? To somehow give them all the properties and collision models the ready made boards have? In essence I would like to retexture the boards to fit my surroundings...

Or do I have to make a new texture and add it to the model in Blender?

In the meantime, there's another little problem I have, and that is connecting arches. I've watched komags video tutorial on T-sections, but this is just two-sections, and I can't seem to emulate how he did it. (using 5x5 patch)

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3311/kjhi.png

Assuming its an L-shaped corridor:

• Extend the patches to the end of the corridor (they now intersect)
  • Select one of the patches
  • Enter vertex control mode
  • Select the vertex control that is closest to the inside wall, pull it back to the corner
  • Select the midpoint vertex, move it to the middle, so that the vertex that you last formed makes a straight line with the remaining one
  • Repeat that with the other patch
  • Done

I made a vid, but my DR looks so horrible in the render that I got angry and forgot to upload it.

Assuming its an L-shaped corridor:

• Extend the patches to the end of the corridor (they now intersect)
  • Select one of the patches
  • Enter vertex control mode
  • Select the vertex control that is closest to the inside wall, pull it back to the corner
  • Select the midpoint vertex, move it to the middle, so that the vertex that you last formed makes a straight line with the remaining one
  • Repeat that with the other patch
  • Done

I made a vid, but my DR looks so horrible in the render that I got angry and forgot to upload it.

1) Alright, it now looks like this. http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7745/89495065.png (As you can see on bottom-right, it's an L-shaped like you said)

2) I enter vertex mode. http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/451/39161310.png I am unsure which you mean by the closest to the inside wall; none of them are really close, they are quite far apart as you can see :P

3) By vertex control, do you mean all vertex nodes on that line or just a single vertex node? I am unsure which node/nodes to pull back (to the corner of the inner wall of the L?)

1) Alright, it now looks like this. http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7745/89495065.png (As you can see on bottom-right, it's an L-shaped like you said)

2) I enter vertex mode. http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/451/39161310.png I am unsure which you mean by the closest to the inside wall; none of them are really close, they are quite far apart as you can see :P

3) By vertex control, do you mean all vertex nodes on that line or just a single vertex node? I am unsure which node/nodes to pull back (to the corner of the inner wall of the L?)

cornersec.png

Select patch 1, hit "v", move the two green points to those places.

Select patch 2, hit "v", move the two orange points to their places.

(That's a terrible pic, I know ;/)

Is it a good idea to build on different map files buildings and then move them together when they are all ready?

It could help you with dmapping time, which can get into the "several minutes" range for large missions. It wouldn't be much of a help for FMs which aren't progressive in structure (e.g. something like the first mission in NHAAT).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I once tried a big caulk brush over part of my FM but although it stops it showing in the game it still took as long to dmap. Be nice if we had something like that in DR but it would still need a special save. Maybe we can do that anyway.

Say we save the map then save again with a test name.

Drag out a big caulk brush over the part we don't want to dmap.

Clone the caulk brush and keep it selected.

Menu > Edit > select inside (or use button) (clone is deleted.)

backspace to delete contents.

Save

So in theory the map should work but that section is one big caulk brush.

[EDIT] Add to the above Undo so you can carry on working.

Be nice if we had something like that in DR but it would still need a special save. Maybe we can do that anyway.

What might be helpful (in theory) is an analog of Dromed's Area boxes & Me-Only selection in DR. You drag out an area box over brushwork (that maybe selects everything inside & touching), push a "Me-Only" button, then I guess DR would create caulk around it. Of course the make-a-box-from-brush function already does this now, but you'd want to add one new feature:

You'd want to add a way for DR to mark all the brushes & objects outside (& not touching) the boundaries of the box "not for dmap", but still keep all their properties intact. E.g., the wireframes all remain in DR but changed to a different color, but it's not sent to dmap. Then clicking a "Show All" button undo's all markings and reverts everything back to normal brushes and objects (and maybe deletes any temporary caulk it created if the mapper hasn't already).

Edit: The problem with doing things manually is that you then have to re-integrate new material into the existing map where it overlaps with old material, so you manually have to keep track of everything new and old so you don't get doubles or gaps when re-integrating. A me-only function would let you change one part while allowing the rest of the unchanged map to come along for the ride and you don't have that problem.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Are you sure? :unsure: for me it looks like this after I do it:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6340/72131006.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/641/19912637.jpg

I must've done something wrong? :P

The wiki has this warning for dragging and moving vertices:

Toggles Drag Vertices mode. Enables vertices of brushes and patches to be moved individually to reshape brush. Caution: Snap to grid and invalidity of concave brush shapes may give unexpected results! Consider also Clipper instead.

It looks like the vertices are snapping to the grid in ways you don't want. So maybe change the size of your grid and try again, and be sure you're not inadvertently dragging in the z-direction; e.g., use the top-down window and check the side-windows. (Does the clipper tool work on patches? I haven't tried it, but if it does, clipping from one corner vertice to the other will work too.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I think there is something in DR that does like area brushes and makes dmapping fast - been a long time since I used it, can't remember exactly

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

It looks like the vertices are snapping to the grid in ways you don't want. So maybe change the size of your grid and try again, and be sure you're not inadvertently dragging in the z-direction; e.g., use the top-down window and check the side-windows. (Does the clipper tool work on patches? I haven't tried it, but if it does, clipping from one corner vertice to the other will work too.)

No clipper does not work on patches, only brushes.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I'm not quite sure what this means.

Should the patch be snapped to grid or should it not be? I use the top-down to select and then drag accordingly. I've tried differen brush sizes but result is the same; which I feel is pretty logical! I mean, there's still two (green) vertices in the original line. Should the green ones also be moved?

The beginners tutorial states that you may NOT put two fog lights next to each other without the ugly "seam"...is that still so or has anyone got around this? In Heart, Fidcal seems to have chosen to build the manor so that there must be only one fog light...but it grinds my gears that it's so restricted! :angry:

The beginners tutorial states that you may NOT put two fog lights next to each other without the ugly "seam"...is that still so or has anyone got around this? In Heart, Fidcal seems to have chosen to build the manor so that there must be only one fog light...but it grinds my gears that it's so restricted! :angry:

You should use the Hanna Barbara technique. Place an object over the seam.

For instance in a forest you could use a log. In an alley, a pile of trash.

I see the lights have these options Skip Diffuse Lighting and Skip Specular Lighting , but they don't make any difference. Is there something else I need to do? :huh:

If I remember correctly they worked fine in Doom 3.

Try making a test map in Doom 3 with those options. If it works there then it's likely an issue with TDM itself.