The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

For an attached entity you can use:

"set skin on name" "something"

where name is found in "attach_pos_name_#"

But I don't think it is possible for entities attached to an attached entity.

As Nielsen74 above but bind a flame to a candle and bind the candle to a holder. You can now change the skin on the flame.

i have allready tried that. basically, this does work properly but there are also some problems occuring: f.e. the candle then has some kind of clipmodel whereas it does not collide if it's moved. so, you can stick a broadhead arrow in it as long as it's standing still but if you move it around itself, it won't collide with walls, etc. strange...

beside that, frobing the holder won't extinguish the flame - but that's not the biggest problem.

oh, these are the results if the candle is set to a model. if i set it to a ~adtm:mover_candle entity instead, it's even worse, as relighting the candleflame will also spawn a new candle with the originalskin that substitutes the one i placed before...

i hope that this was somehow understandable... well, maybe i will have some time to see what i can do here today evening... smile.gif

How do I change the color for popup messages? The ones from guis/tdm_message_no_art.gui

Is it fontcolor or something? Cannot get anything to change the color and I've fiddled enough...:wacko:

You'd have to copy the gui and rename it and change the color inside. See this article about signs but the principle is the same for the no art one...

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Text_Decals_for_Signs_etc.#The_Gui

You'd have to copy the gui and rename it and change the color inside. See this article about signs but the principle is the same for the no art one...

http://modetwo.net/d...ns_etc.#The_Gui

I know, I've copied the no art-gui to my gui-directory and changed name and played with the forecolor values, but I can't get anything different than that white semitransparent text...

The only thing I've been able to affect is the position of the text on the screen...

But like your rainbow, I would like to spring out the colours :)

Edited by Fieldmedic

I know, I've copied the no art-gui to my gui-directory and changed name and played with the forecolor values, but I can't get anything different than that white semitransparent text...

The only thing I've been able to affect is the position of the text on the screen...

But like your rainbow, I would like to spring out the colours :)

Further down that no art gui you will see....

transition "message::forecolor" "1 1 0.9 0" "1 1 0.9 0.5"  "1000";
	}
}

// called when the time is over 
onNamedEvent doFadeOut
{
	transition "message::forecolor" "1 1 0.9 0.5" "1 1 0.9 0" "1000";
}
}

Tweak the first one first until you get it how you want. It's the fade IN. So...

"1 1 0.9 0" means RGB + invisible

"1 1 0.9 0.5" means RGB + half transparent (1 being fully transparent.

When you have the color and transparency how you want it then tweak the fade OUT lower line to match in reverse. The fadeout you can see is the same two sets of values but reversed.

The "1000" at the end of those lines is the time in milliseconds it takes to fade in/out.

Further down that no art gui you will see....

transition "message::forecolor" "1 1 0.9 0" "1 1 0.9 0.5" "1000";
	}
}

// called when the time is over 
onNamedEvent doFadeOut
{
	transition "message::forecolor" "1 1 0.9 0.5" "1 1 0.9 0" "1000";
}
}

Tweak the first one first until you get it how you want. It's the fade IN. So...

"1 1 0.9 0" means RGB + invisible

"1 1 0.9 0.5" means RGB + half transparent (1 being fully transparent.

When you have the color and transparency how you want it then tweak the fade OUT lower line to match in reverse. The fadeout you can see is the same two sets of values but reversed.

The "1000" at the end of those lines is the time in milliseconds it takes to fade in/out.

Aha!

But for curiosity, what is the forecolor-statement in the top for?

Has anyone else had troubles with the TDM blood decals? I tried applying them to a patch, both manually as well as selecting a brush face and using the create decal feature, but they were not rendered in game. What I got to work was called 'smear', which I think was a doom3 decal... will have to double-check that.

Never mind. After a little more searching I found this same topic being discussed. Looks like I'm after the 'splat' textures instead.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Aha!

But for curiosity, what is the forecolor-statement in the top for?

I think most of our readables guis use this fade in/fade out transition. My guess is they override the forecolor. In the sign text guis though there are no further stages so forecolor works there.

Ahhh crap, I just figured out my mistake: I hadn't deselected the grid. I didn't think I'd have to do that if I was placing an entity into it. Oh well, at least I have the mental capacity to solve some of my own problems. I'll post here whenever I'm having trouble with a certain function of the tools, though the tutorial is outstanding thus far.

Edited by SubTonic

Generally you can just put the .xd file(s) in myfm/xdata as you can have multiple readables in one file there is little reason to have subfolders unless you really want (I don't even know if they work!)

The path in the xdata_contents in the readable entity is a virtual path and can be anything without spaces. It's just whatever you put as the headers in the .xd file(s).

Examples:

CaptainsLog

catacomb_messages/message1

catacomb_messages/message2

mansion/upstairs/LadyDiary

mansion/upstairs/WarningonWall

i think no,but DR will terribly lag when count of brusher overcome 20k

Actually the new DR version does not lag at all for me even for big maps...

And if it did, an intelligent mapper would probably apply layers to lower the amount of objects drawn...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

you have 20k brushes , thousand of patches and entities in your mission ?

laugh.gif

thanks shadow/sotha... if there really is no limit, this might explain how johannes manages to have (more or less)ever single stone in his map built by an own brush or patch (instead of only using fitting textures)... haha, even f.e. a singe stair seems to be made of more patches/brushes than other fm's as a whole wacko.gif

by the way, is your mission still in progress, shadow?

by the way, is your mission still in progress, shadow?

yes,basic geometry is done,but need another hundred of brushes + need to finish certain scripted sequence... + make objectives , add some sounds...

a lot of work,hope to finish till the end of contest

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

Alright, things are going pretty smoothly. Creating a room complete with wall, ceiling and floor textures, some basic furniture and lighting takes me 5 minutes or less at this point. There is one thing that's bothering me, though. On some of the bookshelves, there's a blackness behind them labeled Shadow. Does this mean that they're just backless and should only be placed against walls? Also, a spoon I placed into one room is green labeled Collide? I think the same thing is on the edges of the crate I placed into the room as well. Both show up in-game perfectly textured, so is this just a normal thing in DR for certain objects?

Edit: Also noticed a purple No Draw on the NPC's sash.

Edited by SubTonic