The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Thanks, that helped!

Great!

Alright, another question: I've made two toilet seats with brushes, but now I don't know how to make them openable. Any tips?

See the wiki article on doors.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Doors

All it takes is to make the lid brush into a door entity (atdm:mover_door).

You need to change the spawnargs to have it open like a hatch, rather than a door.

I cannot remember now how to do it exactly, but you might want to check knighton manor .map file. Open it in DR and check the toilets in the map. They are set to open just the way you are probably interested.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

There are spawnargs for changing the angle of opening (think it's on the wiki). You'll also need to adjust the origin so that it's positioned where the hinges would be.

Yes, here you go...

• Save a backup copy of the map because doom rewrites your map and fixes ALL ragdolls.
  • In game, drag the ragdoll around until you get a nice position.
  • In the console enter saveRagdolls
  • doom rewrites your map.
  • When you replay the map ALL ragdolls will now have position spawnargs added for every joint. These are WORLD coordinates so you cannot thereafter easily move that posed ragdoll elsewhere in the editor. I mean, you can still drag it around in-game and use saveRagdolls again but you can't just take a saved ragdoll in the editor and move it to the left - it will still start at the saveRagdoll position (you can fiddle with the spawnargs.)

hey dudes,why particles are facing player ?how can i prevent it ?

In the Particle Editor you can change "wiev" (pointed at player) to one of the others x, y, and z aligns it to the corresponding axis. I cannot remember what aimed does. :ph34r:

Beware that if the player can see the particle from behind it becomes invisible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys, just a quick question, I was browsing some tutorials on youtube and found this :

CoD2 Radiant Terrain and Skybox

How exactly is the status of compatibility between Dark Radiant and other (newer) versions of Radiant? Would it be possible to create a terrain like that (in whichever version that is) and save it in a way Dark Radiant could use? I know a) you can create simple terrains with normal patches too, manually (I'm actually interested in that sculpting feature) and b ) you could also create a model on a 3d program, but the point is simply to know if these different versions could somehow interchange geometry. They ARE based on the same "mechanics" aren't they, or did I get something wrong?

PS: By "newer" I mean that the base for DR is the one made for Doom 3 (I'm guessing), and the one in the video is probably a more recent version. Been following the progress of the DR 1.7 and you guys are doing awesome work. ;)

Edited by RPGista

You can get similar results by using GenSurf from Quake3 and then converting it to Doom 3 which will be compatible with DarkRadiant. I did this for a map I was working on, there's some screenshots in the "What are you working on" thread.

You basically create a greyscale height map in Photoshop/Gimp/Whatever, and use that to create the terrain with.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Awesome tutorial, it should DEFINETLY be in the mapping wiki, haven't tried it yet but it seems easier than all others I have found so far on the subject. I would still love to use that sculpting tool, it just seems fun and you can't trust height maps to be accurate at all... Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Actually I give up, I keep getting a "doom3mapreader::createentity(); could not find classname" problem, tried both with brushes and patches. Maybe the current DR has some incompability? My only other guess is that I dont have Q3, even though you say it shouldnt be a problem.

Will new versions of GTKRadiant work with Doom3 or not (haven't tested yet, but keep hearing its support is buggy), and if it does, is the paint height feature in it, or is it only in that COD radiant version?

Edited by RPGista

DarkRadiant only really tries to keep compatibility with Doom3 maps, older quake3 and related variants might import, but they also might fail - it's not something that is extremely important, so noticing and testing for breakages or edge cases isn't something that's done. A few editors that require other map formats and are based on DR are supported, however I doubt COD would be.

Thanks for the explanation. It's a pity, I even have CoD2 lying around here somewhere, but without a way of converting that geometry to DR, it's not worth the trouble. I was looking for a easier way to create detailed terrains without having to go through all the complex process of learning how and then putting a big 3d object in a map, this also prompted me to postpone my original mission idea and now I'm working on something else, where simple vertex editting will be enough. I'll surely get back with more patch doubts though in the near future, thanks a lot guys for the answers.

Edited by RPGista

Awesome tutorial, it should DEFINETLY be in the mapping wiki, haven't tried it yet but it seems easier than all others I have found so far on the subject. I would still love to use that sculpting tool, it just seems fun and you can't trust height maps to be accurate at all... Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Actually I give up, I keep getting a "doom3mapreader::createentity(); could not find classname" problem, tried both with brushes and patches. Maybe the current DR has some incompability? My only other guess is that I dont have Q3, even though you say it shouldnt be a problem.

Will new versions of GTKRadiant work with Doom3 or not (haven't tested yet, but keep hearing its support is buggy), and if it does, is the paint height feature in it, or is it only in that COD radiant version?

Yeah you also need a program called Q3toD3 which will convert your map to a format Doom 3 understands. It's a round about way of doing it, but there's no other way of generating patches.

Well, I did everything exactly as mentioned in the tutorial (downloaded the files with the links provided, created and converted the terrain), what I meant to say is that even though I did, I stll got an error while loading in DR and it quits. I tried converting without any of the items checked, like you suggested in the tutorial, with all of them checked, I tried a patch terrain and a bruch terrain, none seem to work. I read somewhere leaving entities in an older Q3 map and loading into doom3 radiant would certainly give problems (that "seems" to be the nature of the error here), and I noticed Gensurf creates a sort of player start automaticly, but there's no way to take it off before converting, it seems.

The error message when it is a patch terrain - failed parsing entity 2: Doom3MapReader::createEntity(): could not find calssname (it stops when the meter is almost finished, reading "Loading entity 1"). There's no difference if you open or import.

So you wanna modify whether an entity spawns depending on a script event?

I know that the difficulty framework allows for something like this...

If I read this thread properly:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8932&p=78805

...it seems possible? :unsure:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well, I did everything exactly as mentioned in the tutorial (downloaded the files with the links provided, created and converted the terrain), what I meant to say is that even though I did, I stll got an error while loading in DR and it quits. I tried converting without any of the items checked, like you suggested in the tutorial, with all of them checked, I tried a patch terrain and a bruch terrain, none seem to work. I read somewhere leaving entities in an older Q3 map and loading into doom3 radiant would certainly give problems (that "seems" to be the nature of the error here), and I noticed Gensurf creates a sort of player start automaticly, but there's no way to take it off before converting, it seems.

The error message when it is a patch terrain - failed parsing entity 2: Doom3MapReader::createEntity(): could not find calssname (it stops when the meter is almost finished, reading "Loading entity 1"). There's no difference if you open or import.

Oh for that I think you need to open the .map file and remove one of the first entries for worldspawn. I'll try it now and let you know.

EDIT: Okay it does work, just open the .map file delete the entry for origin, probably labeled as entity 2. After I removed that entity I was able to open it in DR by going to File->Import

So you wanna modify whether an entity spawns depending on a script event?

I know that the difficulty framework allows for something like this...

If I read this thread properly:

http://www.doom3worl...&t=8932& p=78805

...it seems possible? :unsure:

No, I want to change a door from being "locked 1" to "locked 0" through a script.

No, I want to change a door from being "locked 1" to "locked 0" through a script.

Are you trying to unlock a door using a script?

If so ...

That spawnarg is only read once, at map start, so having your script change it won't unlock the door.

If you're trying to unlock a door in a script, and your door's name is "Door1", then you can use this:

$Door1.Unlock();

If you're trying to set a spawnarg that your script or the code can read at a later time, you can use this:

$Door1.setKey("myNewFlag","1");

Oh for that I think you need to open the .map file and remove one of the first entries for worldspawn. I'll try it now and let you know.

EDIT: Okay it does work, just open the .map file delete the entry for origin, probably labeled as entity 2. After I removed that entity I was able to open it in DR by going to File->Import

Hmmm... Sorry AluminumHaste, I guess I'm doing something wrong, but I tried this and it does seem like it goes through (no error message), but right before the map loads, DR freezes and crashes completely to the desktop, everytime. I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong when editting the file? These are the strings I'm deleting, I tried a few combinations (leaving one or the other) and this is the only one that goes through, but then crashes:

post-8474-131845753477_thumb.jpg