The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Hmmm... Sorry AluminumHaste, I guess I'm doing something wrong, but I tried this and it does seem like it goes through (no error message), but right before the map loads, DR freezes and crashes completely to the desktop, everytime. I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong when editting the file? These are the strings I'm deleting, I tried a few combinations (leaving one or the other) and this is the only one that goes through, but then crashes:

post-8474-131845753477_thumb.jpg

Delete

}

//entity 1

{

}

// entity 2

{

"name".......

"classname"......

"origin".....

}

and try importing the map again in DR.

EDIT: I just noticed that in Gensurf there's no option to use patches...I remember there was an option for that before.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Hey guys, I have a couple more questions.

I use a lot of spot lights in my map (80% of my lighting is spot-based, in fact), but they don't seem to cast shadows even if the noshadow boolean is on 0, and they also seem to cast light through solid walls. Is there a dmap command I may have missed or is this intended? The map is pretty complex, so this may be the cause as well (11k solids so far, but I'm 99% done with geometry).

I also have a nasty leak I haven't been able to pinpoint yet, since the pointfile is rather pointless in my case. I am, however, almost certain it is a geometry leak and not an origin leak, but the pointfile goes right through a solid wall and isn't very helpful... I have done a temporary skybox around the map while I find the cause (yeah, I know), but I wonder if the box surrounding the map is somehow linked to the lighting issue.

I wish I had a cordon tool like in Hammer for that leak though. :P

Copy one of your Light Entity definitions from your map file. I suspect that you might have these lights set Ambient or they have some other non-shadow override?

What about the material of the objects that the light is illuminating? Is that set to noshadows ?

:unsure:

Can't say much more about leaks than the leak wiki:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Leaking_maps

(sorry) :(

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hey, thanks for the fast replies.

So, here's the properties of one of my lights, they are mostly the same

_color 0.99 0.81 0.35

light_right -160 0 0

light_target 0 0 -256

light_up 0 128 0

nodiffuse 0

noshadows 0

nospecular 0

origin 848 528 152

parallel 0

texture lights/ambient_biground

These lights are illuminating mostly wallpapers, wood and marble, as well as sofa models, tables, etc.

The texture on the brush that the pointfile crosses is smooth_marble_01, but I doubt that one is non-sealing.

Edited by skacky

I think the texture in that light entity has a material definition that overrides the those "0" arguments. You need to choose a non-ambient texture.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The texture on the brush that the pointfile crosses is smooth_marble_01, but I doubt that one is non-sealing.

Check the hidden surfaces of that brush - they all must be sealing textures, eg, caulk. Another cause of the leak might be if that brush is too thin. There is a minimum depth for sealing; I think it's about 1 unit.

There is a minimum depth for sealing; I think it's about 1 unit.

I've seen this mentioned on and off in this forum.

Why is this, and is there data to support it? I would think that the surfaces--and whether they seal or not--should be all dmap cares about, not brush depth.

Edit: I just tested a simple room with walls 0.125 thick, and you're right. So dmap isn't working simply off of surfaces. It must be using a 3d point grid and if the distance from an outside point to an inside point is less than some number (probably 1), it's considered a leak. That's a false negative, but it kills dmap anyway.

Maybe it was easier/quicker for them to use a 3d check for leaking rather than a surface check. Or maybe they're using both and the 3d check gives the false negatives.

Delete

}

//entity 1

{

}

// entity 2

{

"name".......

"classname"......

"origin".....

}

and try importing the map again in DR.

EDIT: I just noticed that in Gensurf there's no option to use patches...I remember there was an option for that before.

Actually, like Grayman suggested, we do need to leave that first curly bracket OUT of the deleted group, it should be the last visible string, and now it works very well, for my latest terrain made with brushes (still going to test the patch version). So what worked for me was deleting:

//entity 1

{

}

// entity 2

{

"name".......

"classname"......

"origin".....

}

Again, leaving the first right curly bracket IN. Thanks a lot Aluminiumhaste and Grayman for all the help, this is brilliant! :)

post-8474-131857761231_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPGista

I'm using Gensurf 1.9 (the one provided in the tutorial), checked and it seems to be the last updated version. Haven't had time to test the patch terrain or play test it, will do it tonight. Should I post this additional step in the original post?

is there a spawnarg(s) that controls whether or not a light will pulsate, the amplitude of the pulse, and the frequency with which it pulsates...?? or must this all be controlled in the lightshader itself? i remember something about setting light brightness based on sound level, but thats not really what i want. i want glowy pulsating mushroom lights.

is there a spawnarg(s) that controls whether or not a light will pulsate, the amplitude of the pulse, and the frequency with which it pulsates...?? or must this all be controlled in the lightshader itself? i remember something about setting light brightness based on sound level, but thats not really what i want. i want glowy pulsating mushroom lights.

Yes, that's specified in individual lightshaders. For shrooms, I'd use the texture lights/tdm_round_pulse. It's a pleasant, slow pulsing.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Yes, that's specified in individual lightshaders. For shrooms, I'd use the texture lights/tdm_round_pulse. It's a pleasant, slow pulsing.

thanks for the advice. did some reading up on iddevnet and in the D3 and TDM light mtr files. I've defined a new shroomtable that pulses and holds at 0 for a while instead of .5, as well as adding speed multipliers and offsets on parm3 and 4.

The goal here is the player must navigate across a field of shroom lights while they are dark, as to not be spotted and killed... in a dark scary cave... by spiders and werebeasts. B)

I need some advice on bending patch cylinders. I have done it before, following the wiki. I once bent the end of a cylinder 90 degrees and ended up with a smooth curved bend by rotating the end vertices 90 degrees and then the next set of (green) vertices by 45 degrees, and positioning those vertices so I had a bent pipe.

Now when I try to do it, I can only get sharp angled bends and the green vertices seem to have no affect whatsoever. Where did I go wrong?

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I'm hazy about the technical reasons but I found the following usually works:

Open Patch Inspector and check 'fixed subdivisions' at the bottom then change the values in either horizontal or vertical (not both) depending which way the patch lies. Tweak the values until the curve looks right.

If fixed subdivisions was already checked then UNcheck it! (don't ask me why I don't know)

The only other thing I can think of is if the cylinder is very tiny but I'm unsure of this.

[edit] one other thing I just thought might affect it is grid size - try reducing it if none of the above works (I am doubtful this will have any effect on the curve but worth a try.)

I need some advice on bending patch cylinders. I have done it before, following the wiki. I once bent the end of a cylinder 90 degrees and ended up with a smooth curved bend by rotating the end vertices 90 degrees and then the next set of (green) vertices by 45 degrees, and positioning those vertices so I had a bent pipe.

Now when I try to do it, I can only get sharp angled bends and the green vertices seem to have no affect whatsoever. Where did I go wrong?

This may help:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9541-request-can-someone-make-me-a-bent-cylinder-patch-please/page__view__findpost__p__189824

I'm hazy about the technical reasons but I found the following usually works:

Open Patch Inspector and check 'fixed subdivisions' at the bottom then change the values in either horizontal or vertical (not both) depending which way the patch lies. Tweak the values until the curve looks right.

If fixed subdivisions was already checked then UNcheck it! (don't ask me why I don't know)

The only other thing I can think of is if the cylinder is very tiny but I'm unsure of this.

[edit] one other thing I just thought might affect it is grid size - try reducing it if none of the above works (I am doubtful this will have any effect on the curve but worth a try.)

Ah yes. Thank you. I had increased horizontal subdivisions to make the pipe nice and round, but had not done enough to vertical subdivisions. Now the second set of vertices (green) from the end do affect the shape. I had skipped that step.

Deleting the first right curly bracket when you shouldn't?

This is a very general comment :

When you edit doom3/TDM related files(materials, gui etc), chances are they're badly indented, or in the case of .map's not indented. This makes them hard to read for removing things and such. A good way to make your life easier and solve a whole host of red herring chasing:

1. Use Notepad++
  2. Menu bar -> TextFX -> Reindent C++ code
  3. Set a language (play around a bit, some work better than others - Verilog works ok), so that you get code folding and highlights.
  4. (yay)
  5. If it's a map file, before you save : Edit -> Blank Operations -> Trim Leading and Trailing space

This only indents, it won't push things onto new lines, which would be problematic.

if an ai starts off with sleeping set to true, is there a way to stop the ai from going back to sleep if they lose the player. How would you set it so its woken by a player getting too close, sending a signal to its friends to also wake up, then some going on a patrol for a while.

if an ai starts off with sleeping set to true, is there a way to stop the ai from going back to sleep if they lose the player. How would you set it so its woken by a player getting too close, sending a signal to its friends to also wake up, then some going on a patrol for a while.

The first thing I might try is putting a trigger by their bed which they step through to trigger a script to change their sleeping to false? Would they stay awake then? Maybe then set up a patrol route which ends at a path entity or trigger to set them to lie down and sleep again...?

Instead of setting sleeping 1 on the AI use the other method of setting the AI to target a path_sleep with a very long wait which targets back to the path_sleep or a very short patrol.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Sleeping_AI#Patrol_sleepers

You can then try various things like using an invisible optional alert objective to call a script or target a delete the path_sleep entity or something.