The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

If the steps are worldspawn brushes, I would consider converting them to func static - this will most likely rid you of that problem. Also make sure that the vertices are snapped to 0.25 or higher - should be fine in regards to detail. If you need AI to traverse it, remember to use some monsterclip to help them walk down it (IK will make their feet hit the wood if the clip is above it - so don't try get too delicate)

Is there an outline on what all the little icons do on the DR editor? Sad, but I'm stuck on page 5 of the a-z guide with finding how to view the 'top view' in the grid view...

I would like my pc view to look Exactly like the tutorial so I can 'get' this faster...

• Like 1

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

Another thing, what do I put in the IP board boxes to use the app in this forum?

Name?

URL?

I'm guessing name/pass would be the same...

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

Is there an outline on what all the little icons do on the DR editor? Sad, but I'm stuck on page 5 of the a-z guide with finding how to view the 'top view' in the grid view...

I would like my pc view to look Exactly like the tutorial so I can 'get' this faster...

This article should help:

http://wiki.thedarkm...rk_Radiant_Keys

Search down the page for 'Next View' and it will show you Dark Radiant's default keys, buttons, and also the name in the hot key list if you want to change it.

Note that the article is not fully uptodate but I reckon its 99.5% complete with all the basics.

• Like 1

So I have a patch wall composed of many different sized 3x3 patches. Even with world coordinates and "natural" texturing, the patchs simply don't match side to side, as a normal segmented brush wall would. Is there another tool to auto-align textures on a group of patches that could solve my problem? Though there are info about texturing a single patch, there isnt a lot about texturing a series of them, and if Natural fails, what else is there besides manually aligning it (nightmare in my case)? The Texture Tool doesnt seem to be particularly easy to use in this situation either (aligned textured areas in the tool will still be offset in the patch group), or maybe I just doesn't know how to use it properly.

Edited by RPGista

If that doesn't work: simple solution is to make a brush wall the same size of the patches that make up your wall. Set the texture on the brush wall, copy it and paste it to all your patches. Only useful if the patches make up a roughly flat surface, I use it for streets a lot.

If that doesn't work: simple solution is to make a brush wall the same size of the patches that make up your wall. Set the texture on the brush wall, copy it and paste it to all your patches. Only useful if the patches make up a roughly flat surface, I use it for streets a lot.

I use same way. However you don't need to make brush in same size, facing same direction with the patch is enough.

I use same way. However you don't need to make brush in same size, facing same direction with the patch is enough.

Yeah, not necessary, but easier for me to see how the texture is distributed, how many stones there are on the wall and how they align with surroundings. But that can also be done afterwards with the patch inspector.

What I really need is a way to align patch cylinders to eachother, because projected pasting like that just does not work in any way / shape / form.

Also, with pretty much only paste natural as an option, the textures get extremely warped when dragging verts too far from default positions, and theres nothing to do for it except find the corresponding vert in texture tool (mindless trial-and-error), and then drag it around until it looks right. unless i'm missing something..?

Thanks a lot guys, that did help, I only had to manually align a couple of textures after doing the copy from a parallel face. Oddly enough, I didn't realise before that the orientation of the original texture is important when applying it to patches...

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely moroning about today. I'm remaking my spaces and making everything wider and stuff without even knowing much about fundamental laws of phyiscs doom engine. If I create big rooms with open spaces... Like I want a big space with, lets say, water in it. How do I assemble the brushes? Do I just pick out 2-3 really big rooms that make an H, for example or just 1 or lots of smaller ones? Or does it really not matter at all?

Another little question. I wonder: can I add some LOD to water? If there' a whole lot of it (in my opinion anyway) in plain sight. Could be a good way of optimising (if the water really runs a lot of resources though it's mostly the texture right?) I guess. Haven't actually tested myself yet. Maybe I'll do that in a special test map.. hmm.

Edit: Right well I made a test map for a quite large space (just a cube though) with water and had absolutely no problems with that simplicity. So it's good to know that the engine can handle these kinds of things. But my first question still stands: what strategy would you pros recommend?

Edited by Thor

Formally it doesn't matter how you assemble the brushes. Large rooms, small rooms, many, few, the brushes don't care. Now performance might care. Before you build anything, you want to think ahead about visPortal placement & leaf-space (a leaf is the area hermetically enclosed by visportals & brushes). That is, you don't want very long lines of sight or massive or meandering spaces that aren't visportaled. You want to break the space up reasonably into leafs chained together by the visportals that work well and look good, and you don't want weird gaps that might break the visportal or make a space too big without thinking about how to contain it, and it's good to arrange visportals so that distant ones close as you walk around the map. Sound propagation also depends on visportals (the sound goes through the middle of them) so think about that too. That's the main thing.

Edit: There's no hard rules for it either except some general guidelines. Read the wikipage on visportals. For rooms it's usually easy anyway. You just set the VP in the doorways & windows and make sure the brushes don't leave any other gaps. So you can do a big room or many small rooms and VP the doorways and it'll work well either way. I think even a very big room isn't going to be a problem as long as it's VP'd to the surrounding rooms. It's when you get big outside spaces like streets, yards, or fields where you need to think ahead.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm trying to make certain AI fight each other which normally don't fight. Specifically, I'm trying to get AI humans to kill rats and/or horses (or vice versa).

I have tried using path_attack, also tried changing teams for the animals to be other teams, and I even tried using the relationship entity to set, for example, "rel 7,14" "-1" and "rel 14,7" "-1". Nothing so far has made my AI archer attack a horse.

Can this be done somehow?

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

It should be. Try changing the horse entity to team 0 and see what happens. The horse is a non-combattant, but the archer should shoot at it (though AI sometimes have trouble seeing each other...is the horse well lit and relatively near the archer?)

It should be. Try changing the horse entity to team 0 and see what happens. The horse is a non-combattant, but the archer should shoot at it (though AI sometimes have trouble seeing each other...is the horse well lit and relatively near the archer?)

That was the first thing I tried, team 0. I put the horse directly under a spot light and it is fully lit. The archer is the equivalent of 10 feet away. I could only get him to shot the horse by forcing the archer to shoot at me while keeping the horse between us.

AI on team -1 are neutral.

I don't believe AI will initiate an attack on an AI that isn't a person.

For example, IIRC, a werebeast will attack a humanoid AI ("I saw an enemy human!"), but a humanoid AI won't attack a werebeast ("That's not an enemy human!").

Once the werebeast damages the humanoid AI, the latter will fight back, though.

I don't think team relations or specific entity-to-entity relations change this general behavior.

If that's how it works, then there ought to be a spawnarg to turn on the ability of humans to spontaneously attack a non-person AI, if possible.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't believe AI will initiate an attack on an AI that isn't a person.

Hmm, not sure why that would be done that way. Why wouldn't we want AI to attack nonhuman AI if they're on enemy teams?

Hmm. I'll put my plan on the back burner then and come up with plan B. I wanted the player to witness an attack on a village house or farmstead by a group of thugs.

Is there any way to trick them into believing the horse is actually a person? Perhaps with inherit from?

Is there any way to trick them into believing the horse is actually a person? Perhaps with inherit from?

Well, you could try making a civilian and changing its "model" spawnarg to whatever the horse one is...no idea what might happen but it's worth a try.

Otherwise I'm not sure how else to do it...have you tried using the conversation system?

1.07 ai will be noticing open doors and being suspicious because of that ?

friendly ai will behave that way too ?

what if friendly ai that is scripted to talk with player will see open door ? everything will be ruined because of that

is that behavior will adjustable ?

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!