The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Hey grayman!

Yes that's right, I can not use Create Entity->Lights->Moveable->In Holder because I am using my own holder model. My problem is that I can't select the candle model when I am moving the whole prefab to another wall (as I must select the holder model, the candle and the light which includes the flame) because the light entity overlaps the whole candle model (can't move it because otherwise the candle flame wold be in the air), so I have to fly INTO the light entity or INTO the holder model to be able to select the candle model.

I'll make a screenshot if necessary, because it's kinda hard to describe ^^

It simply would be cool if prefabs are grouped, or if entities / models would be groupable ^_^

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

According to this breakable objects wiki article (http://wiki.thedarkm...eakable_objects), could I set up a plank to be broken and invoke junk wood pieces (instead of the broken bottle model, to which the article refers to)? The point would be to free open a door barred by a couple of wood planks nailed to the walls, if the opening direction goes against the plank models, the door wont open, so if I can set the planks to break and disappear after a few hits, it should then be possible to open it normally - am I right?

Edited by RPGista

According to this breakable objects wiki article (http://wiki.thedarkm...eakable_objects), could I set up a plank to be broken and invoke junk wood pieces (instead of the broken bottle model, to which the article refers to)? The point would be to free open a door barred by a couple of wood planks nailed to the walls, if the opening direction goes against the plank models, the door wont open, so if I can set the planks to break and disappear after a few hits, it should then be possible to open it normally - am I right?

Yes. You can also choose to replace it with broken plank ends that are still nailed to the door frame, but don't impede door movement. Looks a bit more realistic. Create the breakable planks and show them, and create the broken ends and hide them. When the plank "dies" from being struck, hide the original plank and show the broken ends.

I just did this this past week so if you need an example, let me know.

Hey grayman!

Yes that's right, I can not use Create Entity->Lights->Moveable->In Holder because I am using my own holder model. My problem is that I can't select the candle model when I am moving the whole prefab to another wall (as I must select the holder model, the candle and the light which includes the flame) because the light entity overlaps the whole candle model (can't move it because otherwise the candle flame wold be in the air), so I have to fly INTO the light entity or INTO the holder model to be able to select the candle model.

I'll make a screenshot if necessary, because it's kinda hard to describe ^^

It simply would be cool if prefabs are grouped, or if entities / models would be groupable ^_^

This should be a good time to learn the hide command.

1. Select the stuff that gets in the way.

2. Press H to hide it.

3. Select the things you couldn't reach earlier.

4. Press Shift+H to unhide the stuff.

5. Select the stuff.

Now go and produce some...stuff :)

@ Grayman: That sounds great, I would surely like to take a look at your example, if thats ok. But this is sounding a bit too easy? I wonder if there's any scripting involved in any of these methods, because if there is then its probably out of my league for now...

@ Toni: show us some screenshots! ;)

Edited by RPGista

@ Grayman: That sounds great, I would surely like to take a look at your example, if thats ok. But this is sounding a bit too easy? I wonder if there's any scripting involved in any of these methods, because if there is then its probably out of my league for now...

No scripting for this.

Sample is here.

You could embellish the broken board by adding broken bits lying on the floor and adding them to the hidden func_static broken board.

Let me know if you need more.

I just used a marble texture for the floor and in the editor the reflections just look fine. But when I'm walking through it ingame I can see some kind of strange cloudy box beneath the ground. Does someone knoe if this is a texture or a hardware related error, or what? :blink:

post-3542-0-76409000-1325874996_thumb.jpg

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I just used a marble texture for the floor and in the editor the reflections just look fine. But when I'm walking through it ingame I can see some kind of strange cloudy box beneath the ground. Does someone knoe if this is a texture or a hardware related error, or what? :blink:

This looks like my T1/T2. :D

I have a problem with a skybox and a foglight.

If the skybox is outside of the foglight's volume everything is fine but when I put the skybox inside it's rendered straight over my foglight.

Is there a solution/workaround for this? Without cannibalizing the map layout or deleting the foglight.

It seems removing the "forceOpaque" keyword from the sky material fixes this behaviour.

Try making a copy of the sky material you want to use and comment out the "forceOpaque" keyword in it, then assign it to your sky.

Actually scratch that, see this post : http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10003-so-what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page__pid__275155__st__2550#entry275155

This looks like my T1/T2. :D

And you don't mean that as a compliment!!! :laugh:

First of all, it looks like your gamma is cranked up too high...That in combination with a very glossy surface.

Ingame the gamma is right. I just had to set it higher as the screenshots really look too dark. But the cloudy box under the floor is ingame the same. Just ignore the gamma. So you've never encountered it? The texture lies under darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/marble_pattern01_polished.

Right I've got a weird problem with DR. Using the latest version and have been testing my FM a bit and there's one wall or part of a wall that is completely black and you can see through ingame. Can't see anything while working in DR but the problem occurs ingame. Any idea what could cause this and how I can solve this. Sorry haven't got a pic at the mo, so hoping that this info will be enough :)

And you don't mean that as a compliment!!! :laugh:

Ingame the gamma is right. I just had to set it higher as the screenshots really look too dark. But the cloudy box under the floor is ingame the same. Just ignore the gamma. So you've never encountered it? The texture lies under darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/marble_pattern01_polished.

That's because it uses fake reflections from a cubemap, which will shine even if there's no light sources. It's also why I won't use em, it looks okay in a well lit room, but will always show even in pitch darkness.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Right I've got a weird problem with DR. Using the latest version and have been testing my FM a bit and there's one wall or part of a wall that is completely black and you can see through ingame. Can't see anything while working in DR but the problem occurs ingame. Any idea what could cause this and how I can solve this. Sorry haven't got a pic at the mo, so hoping that this info will be enough :)

Either the wall face is caulk, or you have a problem with a nearby visportal.

Those are the only reasons I know of that allow you to see through wall faces.

That's because it uses fake reflections from a cubemap, which will shine even if there's no light sources. It's also why I won't use em, it looks okay in a well lit room, but will always show even in pitch darkness.

Ah so cubemaps is the catchword! I read about those and if I understand right, I'd had to make screenshots via a console command for each new room and then create each a new material. Sheesh.. Then I guess I'll change the texture -_-

Either the wall face is caulk, or you have a problem with a nearby visportal.

Those are the only reasons I know of that allow you to see through wall faces.

No it's the infamous "Black walls of death". This is one of the oldest problem in the book that you see asked over & over, and is one of the ones I started this very thread for.

It means right around the seam where the black & disappearing walls start you left a tiny line of gap or wedge or overlapping brushwork (can happen when brushes meet at a weird angle or unaligned or you're using a tiny grid like .1) that had a rounding error and flubbed the rendering of everything beyond it. You need to fix the brushwork at that place so it's clean and flush, maybe snapped to the grid, and generally speaking try to keep your basic brushwork on the grid, flush, and not overlapping, and use func_statics for detail work when you can.

Edit: Added detail

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

No it's the infamous "Black walls of death". This is one of the oldest problem in the book that you see asked over & over, and is one of the ones I started this very thread for.

It means right around the seam where the black & disappearing walls start you left a tiny line of gap or wedge or overlapping brushwork that had a rounding error and flubbed the rendering of everything beyond it. You need to fix the brushwork at that place so it's clean and flush.

Well after placing a few visportals the problem is gone, but I do have a problem with that exact same wall. It won't align with other walls so you see that you've got multiple brushes. Can't seem to find where the problem occurs, but I'll just check every single brush

Ah yeah, a visportal could fix it because it changes the order the engine renders the space by breaking it up in a different way (I think), but yes it's good to check if you have any bad brushwork just in case anyway. In my experience it was literally on the same seam right where the black part started so I knew where to look.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

No scripting for this.

Sample is here.

You could embellish the broken board by adding broken bits lying on the floor and adding them to the hidden func_static broken board.

Let me know if you need more.

Brilliant, thanks a lot for taking the time, this works great! I'm afraid I dont really understand how to make a func_static hidden? If I understood the scene correctly, the board and its "replacement" pieces are overlapping (and dont seem to zfight because they have the very same texture mapping?), so wouldnt pieces on the floor be visible the entire time? Or do the "replecement" pieces only appear in game when the boards' health become zero? Sorry, Im not really good at this! ;)

Is there a way to spawn seleceted piece models at the moment of the hit (that will fall naturally)? This is not crucial as Im more than happy with how its set up right now.