The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Then Im confused because the speakers are on the other side of the map (yes, they are targeted by either trigger once, trigger once entity and also a mover (door), most are intercepted by relays (so they are played in sequence)), and their radius dont get even near the player start. I have them on global 0, looping 0, wait for trigger 1, max and min distances... Im not 100% they are the only ones playing, because they are one over the other, but Im fairly certain the sounds in question are added (custom) sounds that come from my map.shader file, maybe that has something to do with it?

EDIT, some sounds didnt have max and min distances, and some had the same value for both, I gave all a normal range for max and for min, let me see if it made a difference.

Yep, that did it. It seems that the lack of a reasonable max and min distance values makes the speakers audible at the map start (this might be related to the fact that they are custom sounds).

I think this was my last big problem (solved the new leak too by the way, also trigger related), now on to making the objectives work, place some more readables, then Im done.

Edited by RPGista

Any reason why a path interact wouldnt be able to open a wardrobe door? I have given the character can unlock for one door, for both doors, have locked both doors or just the peer master, no combination seems to work, he tries but the doors wont open (it works if its unlocked).

Edited by RPGista

Do you mean he gets in the way of the door or he just doesn't try? If he blocks the door then there is an entity - I think it's a path entity - you can place to mark where AI will stand when opening a door. You then put a spawnarg on the door with the name of that entity. Check the path entities and wiki if that's the problem.

If he doesn't even try and this is one of the prefab wardrobes I made then maybe I put a spawnarg on the door to stop AI - ai_should_not_handle ?

The entities used with a door that mark where an AI should stand when opening it can only be used when walking through the door.

Path_interact only frobs the entity. It will not unlock a door.

If you want the AI to unlock and open a locked wardrobe door, you need to use a script that starts when he arrives at the door. The script would unlock the door, have him reach for the door, and have it open. You have to account for the case where the player has already been there and left the door open.

Thats what has been keeping me then, he simply cant unlock the door... Didnt see that coming. He can easily open it when unloacked, but I had to lock exactly because the player could leave it open, so since he would frob it two times, it would look dumb for him to instead of opening, close the doors, then stare at them, then open again and leave. I made sure the player wouldnt have time to lockpick it before he went into the room (triggered event), but now I'll have to think of something else quickly. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Another minor thing Im getting - after giving a couple of unarmed AI path routes, they are now unable/unwilling to flee to their flee points for some reason, even though they were doing it just fine when they had no path network. They will just stand there after sounding the alarm...

Remove the target spawnarg from the AI to confirm that now they do resume going to the flee points. That will confirm it's the new paths and not something else.

If so, check the paths and wiki for spawnargs that might affect this, eg, a default don't_flee or something?

Check the AI are not actually fleeing to one of the paths, ie, so close by they seem to not go anywhere.

To be fair, both of them start the Map pathless. A trigger set on motion by the player activates a "conversation" set of actions that at the end sends them to a path network, maybe that has an influence. Will carry out some tests, thanks for the tips and sorry for the constant questioning, just wanted to release this asap (wairing for beta testers feedback).

Edited by RPGista

One question about light: I have horizontal spot light, and next to it there is a mirror. While I cant see my shadow in FPP on wall, I see my self and my shadow on wall in mirror. I assume a player model is not rendered in FPP, but can I change it?

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

You can, but it doesn't look very good, that's why it's off by default. (I'm not sure how to turn it on)

Sure it's weird to see in mirror and not 1st person, but it'll look bad for the entire map just to match. Not a good trade imo. Would be better to turn off shadow for 3rd person model (which should probably be default).

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Okay, this is getting depressing - I was about to release this mission at lunch but I got a report that if you play with your ambient rendering set on "normal", all of a sudden info location settings for dynamic ambient lights stop working and you get a constant bright ambient light, which Im assuming is the world ambient light that is still there. I NEED for certain places to go darker than the general ambient light level, so what I did was to set an ambient light level on all info location for all areas, changing just the ones that need to be different. In my laptop, I can even delete the ambient world light and it will work normally, but a while back I found out other computers will show the lack of an ambient world light regardless of the location settings. Anyway, the tester says that if you set the renderer to enhanced, the location system will behave correctly, but none of the other testers experienced this, and one even plays with the renderer on "simple", and had no issues. Regardless of what renderer setting *I* play on, they always work. So Im at a loss here. Is this normal with dynamic ambient lights? How am I supposed to force this on players who WONT read any instructions and might happen to have the renderer set to normal? I need to solve this before releasing the damn map.

AFAIK, the location settings only work with ambient_world. It's just one global ambient. Normally it's the same all over the map but with the location settings you can adjust the brightness and colour of ambient_world, ie, the global ambient light.All other ambient lights are independent and local and AFAIK nothing to do with location settings.

Just to clarify that a different way. There is a single global ambient light called ambient_world which you can optionally change locally. All other ambient lights are complete apart from that and normally should be local and fixed

Maybe I've misunderstood what you're trying to do?

Sorry, I expressed it wrongly. I have one ambient world light covering the map. Each room has its own info location entity, with a light level that is equal to the ambient light. There are spaces that are to have lower values than the standard level shared by most of the rooms, so those have different values on their respective entities. Going in and out lowers the light and gets them back to normal gradually; this works fine for ME on all occasions.

Two testers have now confirmed that this system works but only on either enhanced or simple ambient renderer settings. If set to normal, the location settings are not enforced and all you get is the general ambient world light, which ruins this map completely.

I need to know if theres something to be done about this, if its a tdm thing or if I missed something. I dont think I can release the map and expect people to read through some readme text explaning this; if they happen to play it on normal renderer, they'll get a completely different experience than the one intended, and its not even supported (things happen in the darkness you are not supposed to see).

EDIT- noticed the ambient light was badly named, maybe I just forgot to save when I was going through it after importing the map to the startpack one... Could this be part of the issue?

Edited by RPGista

EDIT- noticed the ambient light was badly named, maybe I just forgot to save when I was going through it after importing the map to the startpack one... Could this be part of the issue?

Not clear what you mean. Which ambient light? Do you mean that ambient_world is not named ambient_world in your map!! ?? :blink: If so then look no further to solve the problem.

First off, want to make clear my question is in the context that:

I'm Having Fun and Messing Around in DR. There is no Deeper Purpose. My question is:

Is there an easy way to scale zombie (or any) AI down in size? I tried changing the 'Size' properties in the Entity inspector, but it just seemed to produce another 'Size' attribute (with a 'T' next to it) that made no difference to the entity.

Reason I ask is - I'm really enjoying the thought of having knee-high zombies scampering around my 'map', but realise the models may not have been designed with my childish purposes in mind. If there is an easy way of achieving this, let me know: however, if it requires dismantling and rebuilding the core code of TDM from scratch, then I demand that the dev team drop everything they're doing and start work on it immediately.

(j/k)

Knee-high zombies...actually, in the right context, they could be really quite scarey....

It has been done before...I remember a screenshot years ago of a mini-builder. I think it's the same size hack that works on models.

edit: here it is:

(full thread here:http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/3937-todo-resizing-ai-open/page__p__72955__fromsearch__1 )

minibuilder.jpg

Thanks Springheel - only problem is the link gives a "[#103137] You do not have permission to view this topic" message. I'm signed in - do I need a special password or something? :unsure:

Also, make them walk really fast and run their groans through a pitch shifter.

Frankly, if I can learn the tools, that would be just the beginning. Frilly bonnets....twirling parasols...mwahahaaaaa....

Oh, that's from the internal developer forums, I forgot. Here's the text:

The animations seem to work fine, as you can see he's attacking.

I pretty much just changed the renderEntity axis. I had to put the multiplication in idEntity::UpdateModel (hopefully one more float multiplication there is not bad for performance), which runs each frame, because otherwise that one kept setting back a non-scaled axis. I'm not sure what Brian Harris was on about when he said it was impossible, it's pretty much just a one-line change. Maybe he meant it wasn't do-able using only scripting.

I'm having a problem where the scale multiplier seems to get applied twice to the visual model, but only once to the clipmodel (so when I set it to 1/2, he's 1/4th the size with a clipmodel 1/2 the size). Still trying to track down that problem, but it should be fixable.

MiniBuilder skates on the floor a little when he walks, I think it's because of this difference between physics axis and visual axis, but it could be another thing that needs to be scaled. Also the shadow is a bit messed up, looks like the shadow of the full size one but it cuts off halfway up. Even if these two aren't fixable, they'll be less noticable for a small size change when reducing the AI.

I'm still not 100% sure that every aspect of this will work, but if it does it should save us some time since we won't have to reanimate all the AI.

OK - next newbie questions (NB: not necessarily addressed to Springheel/dev team, but anyone who can point my noob brain in the right direction):

1. Doing a 'containing text: renderentity' search of the Doom3 folder brings up DOOM3.exe, DOOM3Ded.exe and loads of gamex86.dll files for each FM. Is it one of these files I need to hack, or something different?

2. What's the best utility to use to hack the file? I have Resource Hacker, but very little idea how to use it (I tried a test search for renderentity in DOOM3.exe, but it just kept saying 'could not be found in the resource section'). Would a hex editor be any use (I have HxD)?

3. Once I'm using the right utility, how do I then hack the renderEntity axis setting?

Answer one noobie-q, get loads more in response. Sorry guys....

First questions, really newbie:

1. Where can I find a list of properties for each class? For example, it wasn't very obvious from the wiki that I could give a "solid" "0" property to a func_static to make it non-solid.
  2. I'm toying around with the stim/response system. Where can I find a list describing the default stims? For example what is a "player" stim? I'm looking for a simple way to delete a nearby object when the player passes through a simple brush or func_static.