The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Brillant - many thanks guys. Had a suspicion I was reinventing the wheel.

@grayman: I had clicked around (in my typical baboon-like fashion) around on 'dense cylinders' and 'append' but like I say, absolutely no background in this sort of stuff so had no idea what was happening. It do make a difference when someone explains it!

@RP - think I understand the tangency info (bit like bezier curves - ????); I think I'll leave trying to get my noob brain around patch tessellation for a later time.

nice to see you are working on a map, SN!
Thanks. (Just don't hold your breath.)
Is that a new texture? Either way, I like the look of it.
Thanks again! - yes, one of a few I've knocked together. Will try to upload them to my minus account At Some Point.

On a completely different topic - I'm sure a few months ago I came across some Wiki instructions on how to call up the console in TDM with one key-stroke instead of three. (Something to do with changing the properties of the TDM shortcut - ????) Did I imagine it? Can't find it anywhere now.

• 3 weeks later...

Messed around with Blender and need some help with the paths/something else.

In Blender:

appleve.jpg

In Darkradiant with *BITMAP "//DOOM 3\Darkmod\tdm_mymodels02\models\darkmod\props\textures\apple_005_red.jpg":

apple2a.jpg

Maybe I missed something in Blender or it's the exporter. I don't know.

In Darkradiant with a different path:

apple3v.jpg

tdm_myfood.skin:

skin tdm_apple_005

{

model models/darkmod/kitchen/food/apple_005.ase

tdm_apple tdm_apple_005_red

}

tdm_mymodels_kitchen.mtr:

tdm_apple_005_red

{

qer_editorimage models/darkmod/props/textures/apple_005_red_ed

surftype15

description "cloth"

noselfshadow

diffusemap models/darkmod/props/textures/apple_005_red

{

if ( parm11 > 0 )

blend gl_dst_color, gl_one

map _white

rgb 0.40 * parm11

}

{

if ( parm11 > 0 )

blend add

map models/darkmod/props/textures/apple_005_red

rgb 0.15 * parm11

}

// TDM Ambient Method Related

{

if (global5 == 1)

blend add

map models/darkmod/props/textures/apple_005_red

scale 1, 1

red global2

green global3

blue global4

}

{

if (global5 == 2)

blend add

program ambientEnvironment.vfp

vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump

vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular

vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1

fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1

fragmentMap 1 _flat //Bump

fragmentMap 2 models/darkmod/props/textures/apple_005_red // Diffuse

fragmentMap 3 _black // Specular

}

}

apple_005.ase:

*3DSMAX_ASCIIEXPORT 200

*COMMENT "Blender 2.63a Ascii Scene Exporter"

*SCENE {

*SCENE_FILENAME ""

*SCENE_FIRSTFRAME 0

*SCENE_LASTFRAME 100

*SCENE_FRAMESPEED 30

*SCENE_TICKSPERFxRAME 160

*SCENE_BACKGROUND_STATIC 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000

*SCENE_AMBIENT_STATIC 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000

}

*MATERIAL_LIST {

*MATERIAL_COUNT 1

*MATERIAL 0 {

*MATERIAL_NAME "apple_005_red"

*MATERIAL_CLASS Standard

*MATERIAL_AMBIENT 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000

*MATERIAL_DIFFUSE 0.8000 0.8000 0.8000

*MATERIAL_SPECULAR 1.0000 1.0000 1.0000

*MATERIAL_SHINE 0.0978

*MATERIAL_SHINESTRENGTH 0.5000

*MATERIAL_TRANSPARENCY 0.0000

*MATERIAL_WIRESIZE 1.0000

*MATERIAL_SHADING Cooktorr

*MATERIAL_XP_FALLOFF 0.0000

*MATERIAL_SELFILLUM 0.0000

*MATERIAL_FALLOFF In

*MATERIAL_XP_TYPE Filter

*MAP_DIFFUSE {

*MAP_NAME "Texture"

*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"

*MAP_SUBNO 1

*MAP_AMOUNT 1.0000

*BITMAP "//DOOM 3\Darkmod\tdm_mymodels02\models\darkmod\props\textures\apple_005_red.jpg"

*MAP_TYPE Screen

*UVW_U_OFFSET 0.0000

*UVW_V_OFFSET 0.0000

*UVW_U_TILING 1.0000

*UVW_V_TILING 1.0000

*UVW_ANGLE 0.0000

*UVW_BLUR 1.0000

*UVW_BLUR_OFFSET 0.0000

*UVW_NOUSE_AMT 1.0000

*UVW_NOISE_SIZE 1.0000

*UVW_NOISE_LEVEL 1

*UVW_NOISE_PHASE 0.0000

*BITMAP_FILTER Pyramidal

}

}

}

mesh

https://rapidshare.c...4/apple_005.ase

Edited by Xcen

Well, first of all I usually use this path for the ASE bitmap thing:

*BITMAP "//base\textures\yourcustomfolder\yourtexturename"

But I wouldnt know if the one your using is correct or not. Considering it is (otherwise you wouldnt get to see the red texture in any case), I would maybe look into either your unwrap map, or maybe try another exporter (it could be that the texture map got corrupted in the exporting process). Have you tried the assimp exporter?

I dont know what the .skin file is for?

Your material file structure seems different than the template I use, but maybe thats irrelevant.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if the model has two distinct materials those areas should be dettached before exporting, but Im just getting into this and havent been able to get any such models to work yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the correct topic to post it to but I was wondering if anyone has ran into this problem and may be able to help me. I believe I have the mission packed correctly so it is more than likely something I’m missing in DR. After TDM installs the mission and I go to play it the mission briefing screen is blank. Then after I hit the objectives button the game just sits there with a black screen. Does anyone know what I may be missing?

EDIT - OK i installed a different mission that i know works and have the same problem. It must be TDM. I will continue to tinker with it

2nd EDIT - Nope its just my mission.

Edited by I4cTaffer

First, after the briefing fails to show, go into the console and note down any errors/warnings at the end relating to xdata.

• Open your briefing xdata file eg, xdata/briefing.xd or it might be in any xd file.
  • There should be a heading eg, maps/mapname/mission_briefing where mapname is the name of your map.
  • Goto the following link to see if you can find the error. Post again if no luck and I, or someone else can look at it for you:

http://wiki.thedarkm...our_Readable.21

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Messing around with Dark Radiant again I'm curious how to create good looking cornerstones. Is there any tutorial or advice available on this topic? Every time I'm trying to create realistic looking cornerstones I'm totally messing the patchwork.. Thank you! :)

There are a bunch of corner stones (models) available, and I would only use brushes to create regular, brick like corner intersections (don't play with brushes too much, cutting them and intersecting them or having lots of small pieces can get you strange results and glitches). For all decorative and structural elements I would suggest the use of patches.

If you want to do something like this:

remembrance201204241304.jpg

What you have to do is to create a patch plane, then give it "thickness" (all inside the patch menu dropdown), which will give you a patch prism composed of 6 planes. By increasing or decreasing the number of control points (again, inside the menu there are options) you can then move the vertexes and model the blocks organically. Remember to always give all planes the same number of control points and tessalation level (otherwise there'll be gaps between them), and after modelling and texturing them, make them func_static so they'll be grouped and it'll be a lot easier to select them later.

Edited by RPGista

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, guys, Decided to do build some caves and it can be a lot of fun but a while back I came across some obstacles I know not how to fix.

28k0myq.jpg

Mainly my problem is with the corners marked by the red arrows. Just why are they being so cranky? Admittedly, they are essentially just tightly squeezed patch planes, but I did not anticipate this kind of problem.

Also wouldn't hate to get rid of the obvious texture cuts marked in green, if possible.

Oh, and in DarkRadiant Lighting Preview rendering mode it looks like this (if that says anything).

2lvhhz4.jpg

Edited by Thor

Ok my friend, here's one way of doing it:

22892082.jpg

Create a normal patch plane with 5 control points (rows). Create the curve, notice how middle point is in the same line as the green control points on both of its sides (means they are tangent).

88622612.jpg

Copy and rotate that quarter cilinder curve to form a complete one. Rememder to CTRL+G all the time to keep the patch's points on the grid. Copy the cilinder, resize it (to 32 long, in the example), place it next to the original one, select all vertices on the outer edge and scale it by 50% on the Y and Z.

79188974.jpg

Select the 4 corner points and position them in order to create a square shape. Again, this is only possible by first CTRL+G all points to the grid.

18099197.jpg

Copy and rotate the group. You will have to fit them to the grid after rotating and mirroring.

44483283.jpg

This is a bit tricky, you have to select those same corner points (circled in red above) and place them as part of the curves going on around them - it worked alright just to move each pair of corner points 5 units in the X and 5 in the Y, towards the center. You can see the difference in the perspective windows of this and the picture above. Select it all and shift+D to force the tessalation and make them all the same level of detail.

Now you HAVE to use this, these things take work. ;) I wouldnt however just have them as perfect tubes and curves like that, make it quite bumpy and with a lot of wood structure holding it together.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 3

I wouldnt however just have them as perfect tubes and curves like that, make it quite bumpy and with a lot of wood structure holding it together.

@Thor, once you have it all setup as per RP's images you can just drap vert points about to get that irregular more natural look.

And how should I do that, dont you need permission?

Just go create an account on the wiki, but let the team know your doing it in case they need to make any edits and your good to go.

Yes, just PM Spring.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting advance permission. We know who you are. I personally think we should be rather liberal with wiki accounts for the known mappers (people we already know we can trust because they've made an FM or demonstrated their commitment to the mod in some way on the forums), so people can put up as many tutorials as we can get, or finish incomplete ones (in *that* case you'd probably want to talk to the original author first if you can). The more documentation the better.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm supposed to be able to add new users, but I can't see where that functionality is.

I've got two questions about the DarkRadiant editor:

1: Is there a way to show every texture, that is available, when I press t? (Like in the GTK and QEradiant) Instead of selecting them at first in the media brwoser and apply them to a brush.

2: Can I set up a custom Build menu, so I don't have to use the D3 console for compiling? Or is there a button I just missed? (If not: Maybe this is an idea for the wishlist?)

• 2 weeks later...

I was working on a test the other day, wonder if anyone can help me:

I want to make an AI walk from A to B, C and D, all the while playing the walk_alerted animation (as if he suspected something). I have the conversation script done, it all works "but" the walk_alerted part, he walks normally all the way.

Here's my setup:

87588897.jpg

Maybe I got the order or the name of the animation wrong? The settings for the play animation step are playanimcycle, anim: walk_alerted, blendframes: 4 (wait untill finished yes by default).

I'm not sure it can work the way you want it to. My guess is that the second step stops the first one...he starts cycling walk_alerted but is immediately interrupted and told to "walk" to conv1.

What you probably need to do is replace his regular walk with walk_alerted. That's easy to do if you don't care about him doing it for the whole mission (just use an anim_replace line). If you only want to do it during the conversation, that becomes trickier.

Another possibility...try using one conversation to cycle walk_alerted in a particular direction. Then use a trigger_entity to start a second conversation that does the rest of the actions you want. Ideally that would mean the AI would walk_alerted forward until they hit the trigger entity, then the rest of the conversation kicks in and they behave normally from then on. Should look identical as far as the player is concerned. Don't know if it would work but worth a shot.

Oddly enough, in this test I could indeed afford to have the AI's anim permanently changed, because he would be teleported and replaced by a ragdoll out of our view, but I still couldnt make it work (he still walks normally):

38877652.jpg

Is this the correct way to use the spawnarg?

It would however be ideal to figure out how to get this type of thing to work through the conversation system, will give your other tips a try tomorrow. ;)

Edited by RPGista