The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Thanks for the feedback on the AI's, I'll probably be setting up that part of the map this weekend so we'll see how it goes :-P.

A bit of a random question but I'm trying to set up some (func_static) chandeliers in my map but the only models I see are lit and flickering (namely the chandelier_6candles model). Worst of all because it's a func_static if you have two of them there's no way to modify the flicker speed so they all flash about at the same speed...is there any way to turn off or modify the flicker? Alternatively are there other, similar models?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Use the entity. You can turn it off then. The flickering can be controlled by spawnargs, but I've forgot how they are called. You can compare the spawnargs on ifferent candle entities to see how it's done.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I don't think there's an entity for that particular model, unless I'm just not seeing it. There's one for a three-candled chandelier (much smaller) but not for the larger six-candled one.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Yeah, I see that. :mellow:

Is there a skin for it that turns the flames off? I thought I made one. You could then add your own candleflames.

So I'm trying to set up the func_animates as detailed in the thread that Springheel linked to, but I'm having problems attaching heads. I tried installing the def file that Arturus had for the moving heads, but while the heads will show up in darkradiant, they absolutely will not show up in-game (not even as a black box). Any thoughts? Are there any FMs out there that use func_animate with heads?

-Sun Myung Moon

As I recall, it was just a matter of selecting a head entity and binding it to the joint "head". The tricky part was trying to position it properly.

Hey Springheel, I got static models to work properly (and even to spawn using Arcturus's ambient_AI head def) but I can't get it to work with actual AI heads. If I define the head model as an MD5 mesh I'll just get an error in game saying something about missing joints, and I don't know how to load a head as a static model :-/. So the issue is I don't know how to get existing AI heads to work with Arcturus's setup.

Update: Okay, so what I did is dug into the def file that comes with the AI heads pk4 and from there I could get a list of the model names of the AI heads. When I used those names w/ Arcturus's ambient_AI head entity then it worked. It's a bit clunky right now since I have to sort of run through the def file and try to find the right head...is there an easier way to identify the model definitions of the AI heads?

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Ok, try this. Here's a prefab and some custom entities:

Save this in darkmod/prefabs as a .pfb file.

Version 2

// entity 0

{

"classname" "atdm:ambient_audience01"

"name" "atdm_ambient_audience01_1"

"origin" "1043.73 172.325 -527.5"

"rotation" "0 1 0 -1 0 0 0 0 1"

}

// entity 1

{

"classname" "atdm:ambient_head01"

"name" "atdm_ambient_head01_1"

"BindToJoint" "Head"

"bind" "atdm_ambient_audience01_1"

"origin" "1042.87 148.874 -481.978"

"rotation" "0 0.999033 -0.0439575 -1 0 0 0 0.0439575 0.999033"

}

And then save this in darkmod/def as a .def folder

//generic sitting characters

entityDef atdm:ambient_audience01

{

"editor_displayFolder" "AI/ambient"

"spawnclass" "idAnimated"

"model" "tdm_ai_townsfolk_commoner"

"skin" "commoner/default_leathergreaves"

"start_anim" "idle_sit"

}

//generic sitting characters

entityDef atdm:ambient_audience_woman01

{

"model" "tdm_ai_noblewoman"

"start_anim" "idle_sit"

}

entityDef atdm:ambient_head01

{

"model" "head_06_shaggy"

"start_anim" "idle"

}

entityDef atdm:ambient_head02

{

"model" "head_08"

"start_anim" "idle"

"skin" "heads/head08_cap"

}

entityDef atdm:ambient_head03

{

"model" "head_08"

"start_anim" "idle"

"skin" "heads/head08"

}

You should be able to import the prefab and have it work out of the box, and you can swap in some of the other entities in the def file to get a feel for how it works.

anim_idle

Thanks Obsttorte, when I type in "anim_idle" into the start_anim spawnarg Doom3 tells me it can't find that anim... "idle" works fine but the AI is fidgeting about with that and I need the AI to be absolutely still (i.e. frozen).

-Sun Myung Moon

Try "-" instead of "idle"

Then you have to write your own def and use that instead. Look at the defs in the AI pk4's. If you make your own by creating a copy under darkmod/def/ and delete the anims you should get it working.

There is no animation where the AI is perfectly frozen. What are you trying to achieve?

To complete the post: In the model definition put the lines

anim idle_X models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/idle.md5anim

for the proguard for example. X must be all the idle animations.

// Animations affecting all channels (refer to anim names in the AI's modelDef)

"idle_animations" "idle_cough,idle_cough02,idle_armwipe,idle_arm_scratch,idle_sneeze,idle_adjusting_belt,idle_eat,idle_spit,idle_shifting1,idle_shifting2,idle_nose_wipe,idle_stretch,idle_stretch02,idle_standontoes,idle_check_hand,idle_scuff"

// Animations only playing on the torso channel. Applicable anytime.

"idle_animations_torso" "idle_cough,idle_cough02,idle_armwipe,idle_arm_scratch,idle_sneeze,idle_adjusting_belt,idle_eat,idle_spit,idle_stretch,idle_check_hand"

// Animations only playing on the torso channel while the AI is sitting. Applicable anytime."idle_animations_sitting" "idle_sit_2,idle_sit_shift1,idle_sit_cough01,idle_sit_armdrop01,idle_sit_tap01,idle_sit_neckscratch"

He will not be perfectly still, but at least he won't scratch himself. :smile: If this isn't enough, I guess you have to create your own animation.

Hrm. Well, I need to create a body lying on the ground perfectly still with his hands at his sides. I've tried to get this with a ragdoll but I just can't seem to get a decent position with which to use the freeze ragdoll command. I was hoping that an easier way would either be to just load up an AI model as a func_static (didn't work) or use a func_animate with the AI being frozen still. But it sounds like neither of those things is easy/possible.

-Sun Myung Moon

You can't position AI arbitrarily as a func_animate. There is a sleep animation without breathing (for the revenant) but the hands are folded over the stomach.

If you want a perfectly still AI posed the way you want it, the best way is to import the md5mesh in a modeling program, pose it to your likign and save it as a .lwo or .ase.

Not sure atm. If you open the revenant .def file it would be listed there.

Thanks Springheel. Running into one last problem and then it should work out. In the revenant def is the following section:

//nonbreathing sleep animations

anim sleep_idle_lft models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/rev_sleep_lft.md5anim

anim sleep_idle_rgt models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/rev_sleep_rght.md5anim

I tried the sleep_idle_lft and sleep_idle_rgt and they both are the standard sleeping animation (with moving feet and chest). I also tried the rev_sleep_lft anim but I got a "cannot find animation" error with that one.

Then I tried setting the func_animate to the revenant model and THEN it worked properly (sleeping with folded arms and no movement). The model I need to have motionless is a priest model, is there a way to do that?

-Sun Myung Moon

Ok, you'll need to make a custom modelDef. Try this:

model tdm_ai_custompriest {

inherit tdm_ai_proguard

mesh models/md5/chars/builders/priest/builderpriestmesh.md5mesh

channel torso ( *Spine_Dummy)

channel legs ( origin Pelvis Pelvis2 *Hips)

anim sleep_idle_lft models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/rev_sleep_lft.md5anim

anim sleep_idle_rgt models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/rev_sleep_rght.md5anim

}

And then, in the func_animate entitydef, use "model" "tdm_ai_custompriest"