The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

You can highlight your text then click the "Special BBcode" button in the upper left (3rd icon over)

or you can do it manually:

[spoiler]

Some secret text

[/spoiler]

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I was just wondering does TDM already have this kind of moving skybox behavior? How does a mapper activate it? At present the skybox is static and never moving.

http://vimeo.com/35647355

http://www.doom3worl...pic.php?t=25275

The mapper could build prop 3d buildings around and have a persistent city around him that moves in perspective when the player moves around. That distant bell tower comes closer as the player slowly makes his way towards it. *Drool*

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I thought it was just moving the skybox camera with a script in parallel with the player's movements. I think you could just get the script from whatever demo the guy made, but if not I don't think it'd be too hard to script since you can get the player's position and move the camera each click easily enough.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I thought it was just moving the skybox camera with a script in parallel with the player's movements. I think you could just get the script from whatever demo the guy made, but if not I don't think it'd be too hard to script since you can get the player's position and move the camera each click easily enough.

Yeah, the reason I ask is that there is no point in starting to scripting it if the feature is already included in TDM. Has it already been included?

Are there plans to include it? Moving skybox is so basic stuff it should be probably be included, right? Some kind of "moving 1" spawnarg on the skybox-camera? Would default to "0" to avoid breaking existing skyboxes.

Or was there some kind of problem that prohibits inclusion?

Urgh. All the links to the source are dead and gone. Also they talk about source and new engine binaries. So it is not scripting, but rather a source code editing, which is far beyond my skill level.

Clipper

Searching a bit and I found this thread.

http://forums.thedar...post__p__300344

End ends with a general feeling that it is a great addition, multiple people saying they will merge it "just give the word" and a remark:

implementing it to the engine is only a two line code change, because this is mainly a *.dll / *.os change, the change in the engine allows you to have a more organized material for portalskies instead of the strange material for them you have a new "portalsky material" at "editor/portalsky" much more cleaner an easier to understand.

there shouldn't be any map break because i haven't changed anything from the original portalsky code from d3xp

go ahead add it to TDM :rolleyes:

And then... NOTHING.

Did this fall through the cracks? Surely we cannot miss this? The code is there somewhere, but all the links are dead! There seemed to be a version 1.2 at doomworld. I found only a version 1.1.7 (based on filename.)

It sits in someones dropbox, nbohr?

http://dl.dropbox.co...portalsky1.1.7z

EDIT: I sent a PM to 7318 and asked if he can upload the newest code somewhere so that someone with the skills could look at it at some point. I'll try to download the file to myself for safekeeping so it is not lost again.

Clipper

As long as it is not hard-coded one can stick to what demagogue said. You can move the skybox camera by binding it to func_mover. If someone is really needing it I can make some testing and provide the script needed.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think Serpentine was the only person working in the engine at the time, but he had his hands full w/something else.

I can look at it after I finish with the combat changes. Hopefully the included map is enough to show that it works, because I don't think I know enough about it to construct useful portal skies.

There are over a dozen source files included in the zip, so this isn't a two-line change.

I can build you a 3d skybox test map, if need be.

Thanks for looking into this! (too).

Also the author replied to my PM that he is gonna put the most current version to github soon.

Clipper

Read carefully what I said in D3W! the change in the engine is a two-line change (in order to make the engine capable of recognize a second material name as portalSky material, with a much organized, clean and recognizable name than the one in ROE)

now, of course there's also changes in the *.dll/*.os which are not two-liners!

And yes, you can copy the player position via scripting, but my method is less costly to the end-user because it gets compiled in the game code, and also doesn't have accumulative errors like the scripting method does. also the position of the player (and it's rotation) isn't what you get in scripting, when you run, jump, or land after jumping, you won't have those movements and rotations that the player performs in the portalSky.

The "mod" comes with a test map (the one in the video) that displays the three types of portalSkies, it also features the two textures for portalSkies (ROES's and mine) if you don't make the change in the engine, and you only make the game code change you'll get an error with my texture (it should be rendered black) but you can still enjoy ROE's.

ROE portalSky method is still there, if you don't add anything special to your map, your portalSkies will perform as ROE's, so it's fully backward compatible with them.

my GitHub repository is here: https://github.com/BielBdeLuna/portalSky

• Like 1

Biel Bestué de Luna - Github

Quick question, probably for RPGIsta: remember how earlier it was discussed that you could use the "inline" spawnarg to stop enlarged func_statics from clipping out of sight. When I apply this to banners it reverts to the default skin (so if I use the hammer skin in DR, it still shows the default heraldry skin in-game). Is there a way around this?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

If the model is .ase then you might copy the file and edit it in a plain text editor to change the texture then save it in a new name. Can't really do that with .lwo files though.

Another way might be to copy the original texture shader and change that. Of course, if you also use the original in your map then that will change too.

Thanks Fidcal, I couldn't get it to work, so I'll just have to not put anything interesting next to those banners and hope the player doesn't notice the clipping issue :-(.

In a totally different vein, I'm trying to set up a "trap" for the player. Where they walk into a room and are surrounded by four walls (either metal bars that descend from the ceiling, or via a magic forcefield of some sort). Before I waste a ton of time setting that up, are there any examples of something like that in any released FMs, or is there a pretty straightforward way to do that? I'm thinking the best way would be to teleport in four func_static walls colored with player clip to be the actual walls (or somehow make them solid, but I don't know how to do that) but don't know if that makes any sense.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

A trigger would do the job. The four walls or grates you've mentioned could be unfrobable sliding doors. The trigger is in the area where the player should step in to cause the trap. The trigger targets the four wall doors and they'll come down as soon as the player steps into the trigger.

If you have problems with that I'll can post an example map.

Thanks Obsttorte, I got it to work. I made the walls into a single func_static (textured w/ the collission texture) and teleported it in upon trigger. Now I just need to make the "visible" part of it. Ideally I'd love for it to be a kind of magical force-field but I don't know of any texture or emitter that would be appropriate...any suggestions would be appreciated :-). Otherwise, I'll just have to make them boring metal bars or something.

-Sun Myung Moon

You could probably fake the force field by making your teleported func_static a patch dome that traps the player (you canfind a patch sphere in the prefab resources, just edit that one), textured with a glass texture - some of them are ambiguous enough to pass as a kind of "strange translucent surface", that might be enough for your purposes. I would suggest a warped glass one first, I quite like them.

Edited by RPGista

Thanks guys, I ended up using plain metal bars, but the moving glass patch trick sound like it'd look pretty neat so I'l probably use it a bit later in the level.

Here's a simple question: I've got a sliding door that I'm using as an elevator. It looks like from documentation that if I want a sound to be playing while the door is translating up and down I should use the snd_move spawnarg. But when I use this, the sound doesn't loop, it just plays once and then stops...is there another spawnarg I should be using?

-Sun Myung Moon

It is not possible to have the sound looping like you are intented it. One possibility is to use a separate speaker for the moving sound. The probably more easy way is to use the elevator class instead of a sliding door. Change the classname to atdm:mover_elevator. The complete tutorial on how to use it can be found here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Elevators,_multi-floor

I've got a sliding door that I'm using as an elevator. It looks like from documentation that if I want a sound to be playing while the door is translating up and down I should use the snd_move spawnarg. But when I use this, the sound doesn't loop, it just plays once and then stops...is there another spawnarg I should be using?

Sliding doors should loop snd_move while they're moving, as long as you use a sound that loops. The standard elevator movement looping sound is tdm_elevator_loop.

Hm... sorry then, I've tried it on rotating doors and there it doesn't work. :blush:

Thanks Grayman, using tdm_elevator_loop works. Ideally, the file I'd like to use is machine_gears01_loop, but that stops playing after one loop, is there something that needs to be changed in the sound shader to make it loop properly in snd_move?

-Sun Myung Moon

If you haven't already, create a sound shader file in your sound folder, mysounds.sndshd. (Or whatever you want to call it.)

In it, put this:

my_elevator_loop
{
 editor_displayFolder ambient/environmental
 looping

sound/ambient/environmental/machine_gears01_loop.ogg
}

The addition of the "looping" command makes the sound loop.

In your map, put this spawnarg on your elevator:

snd_move my_elevator_loop

That should do it.