The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Moonlight as to cast shadows for outside area? Use a simple light, with proper moon color. Place it high so it casts nice shadows.

Moonlight causes a more bright area in terms of ambient light? Use location system to increase the ambient_light brightness in the outside area location:

http://wiki.thedarkm...cation_Settings

Moonlight to seep in through a window, use a spot light with a light texture that looks like the window through which the light is seeping through.

Big thanks, will try locations, omnilights with shadows for moonlight deals fps drop

Sotha, im making PortalSky out of training mission example, but when i place objects inside info_portalSky area they appear black, and they lit with one light as in screenshot. How to make them lit ( two stone rectangles)?

FIXED: There was some problem with existing light, created new one and rects are lit

black_02.jpgblack.jpg

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

Does the ambient light reach these objects? Enlarge it so that it covers your skybox.

EDIT; the blue light should lit those rectangles if the radius is enough. Not sure why they don't.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

If Light set to "Paralell" it would cast 90 to the ground shadow. how to set custom angle for paralell light, as to simulate moon?

Thanks!

You need to hit V so you can edit the vertex, there should be a lone one hovering over the light, just move it about - the direction between this point and the light icon will be the moonlight "angle". It will be nice seeing a new mission using moonlight, far as I know mine is the only mission using it in TDM. Maybe House of Theo too, cant remember... Take a look at Katsbits website for more info.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

You need to hit V so you can edit the vertex, there should be a lone one hovering over the light, just move it about - the direction between this point and the light icon will be the moonlight "angle". It will be nice seeing a new mission using moonlight, far as I know mine is the only mission using it in TDM. Maybe House of Theo too, cant remember... Take a look at Katsbits website for more info.

Probably won't use such light, as it hits FPS even more than it is now on open street area

Exellent FM it is! In remebrance of him

Did you draw buildings in blender? Cool stuff!

Edited by someTaff

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

Been meaning to play that one for a while, heard nothing but good things, fan of your Above the City too...

And SomeTaff, thanks! The buildings are all done inside DR, they are patch contructions. Also been meaning to writte a tutorial about that for ages... Great pics by the way, here and in the Working thread, loved that curved, inclined geometry.

Edited by RPGista

How to export a model from Blender 2.66 to TDM?

How to make LWO model appear in DR, with textures?

Ok i see model in DR, but no texture

I do obj import to Lightwave, and save as LWO. Textures in Lightwave are ok

Dmap spams about 'Could not load image" Images are in the same folder as model (TGA)

i've opened lwo and looks like the path to tga images is relative ("C:/Users..and so on")

Edited by someTaff

You have to name give the texture in LW the same name as the material shader, which is essentially text that points the engine to the correct textures.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Basic_Material_File

• Like 1

You have to name give the texture in LW the same name as the material shader, which is essentially text that points the engine to the correct textures.

http://wiki.thedarkm...c_Material_File

mind-boggling pipeline :wacko::o:blink: will try reverse existing trees mtr's

Edited by someTaff

How would one, via scripting, create a forcefield effect.

Essentially I want to place an impulse or pushing effect, an explosion of sorts, into a single spot.

It tried teleporting a func_forcefield, but that did not work. Doom 3 had grenade explosions that threw stuff around. Ditto for explosive mines and fire arrows. How can I manifest this push-effect into a location via scripting?

Clipper

Maybe teleporting leaves the effect where it was first spawned. Forcefields can be toggled on and off rather than teleported so see if that does what you want. You could have 3 or 4 together at different angles depending what effect you need. Maybe even bound to a mover, say 4 angled forcefields of different forces spinning around a rotator.

You could add the forcefield turned off and than turn it one using the Toggle() method on your forcefield.

ninja'd

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Do not teleport it. Place it where the effect should happen.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It is problematic if the effect location can vary arbitrarily.

I found a solution though.

Have a func_forcefield in your blueroom. Keep the forcefield off.

When you want to throw items, teleport the item into the blueroom inside the forcefield. Turn the forcefield ON. Wait a frame, so the moveable gets a 'kick' from the forcefield. Teleport the item back to where it was. Switch forcefield off. The item's flying vector is retained through the teleportation.

It appears that the item stands still and suddenly is kicked into the air!

Hacky, but works. Quite amusing...

Clipper

Sounds over-complicated compared to just having the forcefield in the game itself and turning it on and off. But one advantage of your method I can see is that the object(s) can be anywhere, ie, not within a certain limited volume, and still get a kick so it sounds a useful technique. Another advantage is that other objects including AI or the player won't be thrown up (assuming that makes sense in the situation.) So, it all depends on the actual game situation which to use I guess.

Is there a simple and easy spawnarg way to make an AI completely and utterly non-KO-able? Also gas arrow resistant.

There are a kazillion of ko_* spawnargs on AIs... Which one is the correct one?

Clipper

Where are the unlit candles located in TDM 1.08? They used to be among the others, but I can no longer find them.

(Alternatively, how can I make a candle start the mission unlit?)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Where are the unlit candles located in TDM 1.08? They used to be among the others, but I can no longer find them.

(Alternatively, how can I make a candle start the mission unlit?)

"Extinguished 1"?

• Like 1

Clipper

Is there a simple and easy spawnarg way to make an AI completely and utterly non-KO-able? Also gas arrow resistant.

There are a kazillion of ko_* spawnargs on AIs... Which one is the correct one?

ko_immune = 1 -> can't be KO'ed by the blackjack

gas_immune = 1 -> can't be KO'ed by gas

• Like 1

Sotha: Thanks!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I seem to be having problems with artifacts in my curved patches. DMAP gives errors about incorrect backwards triangles, but I'm not sure what I've done to create the problem or can do to fix the problem. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

artifacts1.pngartifacts2.jpg

artifacts3.pngartifacts4.jpg

Edited by Arcady

Backward triangle warnings are mostly logspam from dmap though certain architecture can cause them more than others.

The thing to keep in mind with curved surfaces is that dmap will have trouble deciding how to split surrounding geometry.

In most cases, you would select verts that make up the detail portion of your geometry (or the whole object) and set it

to func_static to reduce or eliminate this behavior.

If you really need to have some detail area be able to work as world_spawn you can use the "Discrete" material keyword in a custom shader to tell

Doom 3 where to split then set other parts of the geometry to "noFragment" which will have about the same effect as setting it to "func_static" but it

will preserve it's world_spawn property of sealing.

Or you could just export out your detail geometry as ASE models with the script in DR.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)