The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Something doesn't seem to be all right with my TDM install. In the afternoon, stuff was working; now, if I try to map or DMAP, it crashes. I have tried multiple maps, and the issue is the same. On DMAP, I have seen the following error: "idFileSystem: OSPath To RelativePath failed on"

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I've noticed that if I change any of the preferences in DR then it resets my working directory so that the assets will no longer load. I would assume that just about anyone here knows more about the problem than I, but I would look there first or wherever the game path is stored for TDM.

Or you could just export out your detail geometry as ASE models with the script in DR.

This seems like the best solution for the handles at least. I've been trying to find out more about this, but the links that I'm following aren't working. Can someone please provide me with more information about this?

Running Scripts in Darkradiant > ASE Exporter

Edited by Arcady

Try replacing bloodgate.com with swiftmazes.com in that link. I think Tels moved most of his mirrors there. Otherwise PM Sotha, Bikerdude or Arcturus for a copy

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Melan, I'm seeing that same error when dmapping my WIP. I don't know what it is, but dmapping finishes just fine and everything seems to work in the map. I assumed it is one of the benign warnings.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@Melan, I'm seeing that same error when dmapping my WIP. I don't know what it is, but dmapping finishes just fine and everything seems to work in the map. I assumed it is one of the benign warnings.

I get that message, too. I guess it came with 1.08, but doesn't seem to mean anything. It's just another backwards triangle bla bla :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The problem may not be that exact message. The process gets to FixGlobalTJunctions, and as it is removing degenerate triangles, it crashes. It did not do this before yesterday afternoon.

[edit]And just as I asked, the damn thing DMAPped. But then why did it crash before? Damnit, Doom! :wacko:

Anyway, in celebration, I am posting a screenshot over in the WIP thread.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Did you maybe had too many programs running at the same time? Dmap is known to leak memory.

One time I had antivirus scanning for viruses and D3 crashed upon start because "unable to start opengl." Those things should not interact, yes, but sometimes odd things happen when many programs are busy simultaneously.

Clipper

The problem may not be that exact message. The process gets to FixGlobalTJunctions, and as it is removing degenerate triangles, it crashes. It did not do this before yesterday afternoon.

I had a stretch of time a couple years ago when the FixGlobalTJunctions crash was happening to me. It turned out that dmap didn't like a particular stock texture I was using. Unfortunately, I don't remember which texture it was.

Use texture -> crash

Replace texture with something else -> success

Did you add any new textures to your map just before the crashes began?

grayman: Yes, quite a lot of them, actually. Mostly from the Stone>Sculpted family. I will try to investigate the issue; thanks!

To follow up, it is definitely map-specific, since DMAP produces an identical crash on a completely different PC. I will try to narrow down the reason for the crash at my next editing session.

Hey guys,

Three questions, two specific ones about scripts, and a general one:

1) I'm trying to spawn/teleport a moveable directly into the player's hands (i.e. similar to what would happen when you frob a candlestick in the game except that the object in question will start in a blue room). From looking at the script reference I think the right script is "scriptEvent float holdEntity(entity entity);" as the description says "Forces the player to hold an entity (e.g. puts it into the grabber)", but when I trigger that script, nothing happens. Now, all I'm doing is triggering the script, so perhaps there's a step that I'm missing like teleporting the object close to the player first?

2) Is there a way via scripts to break a bind between two objects (i.e. let's say you hit a switch and two bound objects un-bind)? There's an article on the wiki about "Breakable bonds" but it's more a theoretical discussion and doesn't delve into actually how to do this.

3) Right now I'm using a zombie AI and binding an object to the "shoulders" joint with the bindToJoint spawnarg. In looking at the standard Dark Mod humanoid AI with "r_showskel 1" I've noticed that this joint isn't there. Does this mean that my FM will break when we go standalone and the zombie AI gets replaced?

Thanks!

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

3) Right now I'm using a zombie AI and binding an object to the "shoulders" joint with the bindToJoint spawnarg. In looking at the standard Dark Mod humanoid AI with "r_showskel 1" I've noticed that this joint isn't there. Does this mean that my FM will break when we go standalone and the zombie AI gets replaced?

Yes, unfortunately. Not sure what the best solution is for that atm.

1.) The script function is the correct one. An example for using it would be

entity e=sys.spawn(name_of_entity);
$player1.holdEntity(e);

For this to work you should make sure that the object you want the player to hold is actually grabable.

2.) From the script reference: void unbind() (detaches this entity from it's master)

entity getBindChild(float ind) (returns the ind'th bound entity, starting with index zero)

So if you know you have two entities bound to your entity, the script could look as follows:

entity e=masterentity.getBindChild(1);
e.unbind();
e=masterentity.getBindChild(0);
e.unbind();

3.) I've been playing around with this, too. As far as I've noticed the joint names aren't exactly the same for human and undead AI. Maybe that helps.

Instead of bind you can also use attach. This means more work for you, but should make sure the map won't break once 1.09 is out.

This means more work for you, but should make sure the map won't break once 1.09 is out.

def_attach still works by joint name though. You could look for a joint that has the same name in both the old and new skeletons, but even then the exact position probably wouldn't be the same, which could result in the object being in a different place under 1.09.

It's an awkward issue, I admit. One possibility might be to provide the updated files for the new zombie and include them in the mission pk4, but then they wouldn't be affected by updates or changes between now and the next release.

Thanks guys,

I'll check out those scripts you listed Obs and let you know if I run into any issues :-). For now I'll just try to limit myself to joints that the two skeletons share in common, like "Head".

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

If I'm making .ase model in DR, would be better to use only patches, or brush with no_draw walls will take same amount of memory?

Should I use no_draw or caulc texture for unused surfaces, and what is a difference?

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

Brushes or patches won't matter. It all ends up as polygons.

No_draw surfaces get discarded.

Textures take up much more memory than a few extra polygons and verts.

Caulk is used to seal a map from the void. No_draw is simply not drawn.

Don't worry about model optimization too much. Just no_draw the surfaces that don't need to get rendered. That's about all you can do when making models with a mapping application. If you want more control you're going to need to learn a new skill set.

Is it possible to bend a set of patches as a group in DR? I have a specific piece which is made of various patches. I would like to make this piece curve at a 90 degree angle. Some of the patches along the curved face are narrower than the others. I was wondering if there was a way to select the entire patch assembly as a group an just add a curve to the entire thing. I've been attempting to curve each piece individually, but I can not get some of the pieces to sit where they should due to the curve. Does this make sense? Should I post images?

Check the road tutorial from the wiki.

In that I've kept all the terrain and road patches selected and moved the individual vertices. It was as if the whole assembly was a single patch, yet i moved lone vertices.

This was critical so that the patch meshes stay together at all times.

Clipper

I appreciate the response and the tip, but that won't really work for this situation. I've decided not to pursue this particular avenue at this point.

For clarity:

I have a curved section, which is somewhat long. I would like to add windows into this curve. Because the points that I would like to add windows are not crossing grid lines, I can not add smaller curved patches with the same curvature without having gaps somewhere. I can kind of do it by overlapping some of the patches, it's just that it gets too messy and I don't like it. I did come up with a way to do it that requires significant amounts of preparation, but it's not worth my time right now. If anyone does want to know how I did find a way, then I can go into more detail.

Thanks anyway though.

I'm always getting bogged down in the details, but I am a very meticulous person... Honestly, I can't wait until I get this area in a presentable state just to show it off a bit ;) Hopefully that happens :)

@ Arcady: Can you post an image of what you want to accomplish, as I'm not sure I understand you. I would be happy to help you.

I have belt built a panel which I would like to use along a wall as a repeatable pattern. Part of the wall has a 90 degree curve and I would like to mold the panel to fit this curve (note the highlighted curved patch). Part of this panel has a short patch which I am having difficulty with placing correctly, as it is shorter than primary curve area (note the highlighted straight patch).

panelcurve.png

Edit: The 'belt' business above: For some reason I sometimes write phonetically similar words. I don't know why I do this...

Edited by Arcady

Would it help if you built the entire thing from patches? Now it looks like it is part brushwork, which of course invites alignment problems when used in conjunction of patches.

Build it completely from 3x3 patches that fit together neatly from each vertice. Select the whole thingy. Grab vertices and drag a 90 degree curve? Getting textures to align properly will likely be a chore, but probably doable. I've not tested it works, but that's what I'd try.

Clipper