The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Alright, I've found a solution. Will post example map in a few minutes.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Ok, a few hours. Sorry, I was distracted. So, here is the scriptobject

sotha_ai.script.txt

Include it via your tdm_custom_scripts.script file.

To use it, do the following. Let's call the ai who should be guarded "lord", the one who guards it "guard", and the room where the lord sometimes gets in without the guard following him "myroom" (so this is the name of the info_location entity).

Your RIT network has to use connecting path_waitfortrigger instead of path_wait. This is crucial.

Let the guard target a path_waitfortrigger entity. Then give it the following spawnargs

• "scriptobject" "sotha_ai"
  • "distance": how close you want the guard to come to the lord (80 is a good value. much lower values may look gay :smile:)
  • "entityToGuard": the name of the ai to guard, in our case "lord"
  • "room": The name of the room, where the guard shouldn't follow, in our case "myroom"

That's it. Once the lord enters myroom, the guard will start using the RIT network. Once the lord returns from his room, the guard will start following him. This is for one room - one RIT - usage. If needed, this can be extended. Hope you like it.

• Like 1

:rolleyes: It was a reminder of something we've been told when I was at the army. When patroulling, they said the distance between us and the guy walking in front of us should be exactly 80 centimeters. "79 is gay, and 81 is desertion".

But what I've really meant is that they may bump into each other if the distance is set too short.

I have a bunch of stock TDM models I made into moveables that go into inventory. Each of them classname is "atdm:playertool_stackable."

They all have similar spawnargs. All the items frob-highlight normally. Except one. One item does not frob-highlight although it has same spawnargs as the rest.

Any idea how I get this to frob-highlight?

EDIT: tested around and could not get it to work. I believe this object's texture material definition lacks the stuff that makes it frob-highlight. I can make a custom material for it, but what should I add to make it happen? Is there some other reason than the material definition that could be the culprit?

EDIT2: Got it to work. Simply added to an overriding material file I'm shipping with my mission

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 models/darkmod/props/textures/plate1_d
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}

What is the policy? Were the frob-highlight accidentally missing from this material or is it intentional not all model textures have the frob-highlight clauses?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

What is the policy? Were the frob-highlight accidentally missing from this material or is it intentional not all model textures have the frob-highlight clauses?

No, all model textures should have that. Which one is it?

So.. I now have a fancy video briefing. No mainmenu_briefing.gui. No mission_briefing.xd.

My video plays. When it ends, I see an empty briefing text parchment. Console says

DisplayBriefingPage: briefingData is maps/<mapname>/mission_briefing
WARNING:DisplayBriefingPage: Could not find briefing xdata: maps/<mapname>/mission_briefing

So it is showing the mission briefing screen even though there is no text-based mission briefing. Above, my map name has been replaced with <mapname> to avoid spoilers.

My question is: how do I get TDM to go directly to the objective screen after the video? There is no option for no briefing at all. I sense I probably need to supply a dummy mainmenu_briefing.gui, which would only contain a single command to simply jump to the objective screen. Ideas?

Clipper

Thanks! That did the trick.

Now it goes properly to the objective screen after the video.

Problem is, if I click the BACK button, I get again the empty briefing screen. Oh well, I can live with that.. ;)

Clipper

Just tested it and noticed that you are right. Placing func_portals in visportals disables the info_locationseperator placed there. I'll sign a bugtracker.

Done: #3399

Quick question about patches - how do you make a cylinder with more vertices along the top. I'm trying to recreate the arches found in Alberic's curse where Bikerdude is using gooved pillars. It looks like he's using cylinder patches with twice the number of vertices that you would get by just creating a standard cylinder patch, but I have no idea how to recreate it (outside of making a simple mesh patch and then folding it into a cylinder).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

You can select the cylinder patch, then from the patch drop-down menu choose insert or append vertices. Insert keeps the cylinder shape as it is and adds new vertices. Append enlarges the patch with new vertices. You can choose either to add new row or new column of vertices, depending which point of the patch you want to add the vertices in.

Clipper

If you just want the cylinder to be more dense, you can also select the patch and open the patch inspector (shift+s). There you can change the subdivision.

Or you create a simple patch with a high width set and make a cylinder out of it for yourself.

Can I modify compass so it will always point at some beacon entity?

Not by default. But if you want to I can write you a scriptobject which handles this.

EDIT: I was able to let the compass do what you are aiming for, but the angles are a bit screwed up. I'll fix that and provide the script this afternoon.

Here ya go: erh_compass.script.txt

Remove the .txt-ending and put it in your scripts folder. In tdm_custom_scripts.script add the following line

#include "script/erh_compass.script"

In your map add the following two spawnargs on your compass

• "scriptobject" "erh_compass"
  • "ent" "X" where X is the name of the entity you want the compass to point at

Note that you can change the "ent" spawnarg during runtime so you can make the compass point at something else if you want to. :smile:

To serve is my purpose :smile:

And regarding the actual scripting that needs to be done it was pretty slow. The way doom3 handles rotations is just extremely cumbersome (Euler angles, engineering stuff) and makes it difficult to solve simple problems with simple equations fast written down. :unsure:

I've already thought about an improvement of the script. The compass could work as a normal compass by default, but if it gets close enough to some electrical or magical field, it starts pointing at it. The closer you get, the more the compass starts "vibrating" (I don't know a better word at the moment, but maybe you understand what I mean), giving you a feedback about the distance to the entity causing the field. This could be easely done with stim/response.

Btw.: When reading your question I thought more of the compass of Captain Jack Sparrow :smile: