The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Don't know if I get you right, but you just have to trigger lights to turn them on/off. You do not have to set the light color to black or anything like that.

Ah ok, I've red that somewhere in TDM Wiki about color change for on/off result. Though there could be a simpler command. How do I do that then?

There's a couple of trigger spawnargs.

Another thing happened to me, not sure if it's a bug or what.... I set my VisPortals on each wall of rooms and in between the doors. I tested it couple of times and it worked like a charm (no light scattering between doorframes and all the noise from the other rooms was lowered when the door was closed). Then I added some models in some random room and when I dmapped again and tested, it was like VisPortals were not there. Only one remained operational. I checked for leaking and couldn't find any, then again, I didn't touch VisPortals after I got them to work earlier...

Any ideas why?

6ih2tx.png

Edited by Aryx

tzl1l.png

...snip

The visportals on the right in the pic you posted look correct. They are suppose to close gaps between brushes and fit eXACtly with no gaps.

The picture on the Left looks like something I've seen in a video for visportalling CODRadiant and I don't know for sure but I don't believe that works in DR.

Have you read through the

Portalizing: Visportals

And a separate page on the Wiki?

Yeah I've checked the tutorials on Wiki, and I understand the meaning of them. The thing is everything was working just one test ago, and in the next they weren't. I cloned them all from the first one I created, so they have same characteristics (I checked).

A random thing happened with chest lid rotation too, which changed from 0 0 90 to 0 90 0. I discovered that completely by accident. I made the chest two days ago, it was working (tested) and didn't change anything on it since.

Bugs perhaps?

Edited by Aryx

tzl1l.png

Don't do that, the walls made of worldspawn will seal, all you need is to fill ONLY THE DOORWAY with a visportal. Having all visportals touch will cause ALL visportals to remain open if you see one of them. If you have no models or patches in a map, then you won't get leaks, only entities can cause leaks.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

"Place it so the visportal surface is inside the yard door and fits the gap in the door frame (no gaps.) Technically it does not need to be inside the door but only need its visportal surface in contact with any part of the door"

They should bisect the door or go through the middle so that when the door closes the portal closes. When the door opens, the portal opens.

As the tutorial states this doesn't apply to doors with holes in them or made of loose boards you can see through or see light through. They should be placed behind or in front of the door, not in contact with these types of doors, so when you look at the door the portal will open and you can see the lights on the other side through the door without the door open.

Clear as mud? :)

Yes. I had them inside before, and now I put them on the outside side of the door if I could say so. And it was touching the door in both cases.

Left one is before - not working and right one now - working. Still don't know why lol :P

2vv52wy.png

Edited by Aryx

tzl1l.png

Filter out all entities (Filter->All Entities) and make sure your portals fill the gaps, touching worldspawn along each side. Also, move your portals so the visportal face is touching the door (not the handle). Best way to ensure that is to have the visportal face run down the center of the door. The visportal face is the only important plane of the visportal brush; the other planes textured in nodraw are ignored by dmap.

All visportals I made are touching the worldspawn and door. I figured out you have to move them on the opposite side if you change the rotation of the door, eg. 0 90 0 to 0 -90 0. Problem solved, thank you! ^_^

tzl1l.png

Where is that menu option that DOESN'T move the brush when you "space bar" copy it? I saw it but now I can't find it. I always end up moving the brush back to where it was first so this would save a step.

Where is that menu option that DOESN'T move the brush when you "space bar" copy it? I saw it but now I can't find it. I always end up moving the brush back to where it was first so this would save a step.

That feature is toggled by the rightmost button at the top, with two squares offset from each other.

Hi all,

Any one shed some light on my newbie dilema, Trying to make an AI dead on map start?

health=0 does`nt work so must be a lot I`m missing.

Help is as always appreciated.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

You could just put in a ragdoll entity? Check DR entities.

If there isn't the ragdoll you want, you could do this:

1) put a living AI in map

2) put a func_static in map

3) open the func_static in S&R editor. Give it response trigger. Effect should be kill. Give in the the AI entity name.

4) Upon map start, target the func_static. For example, choose any worldspawn brush, and put in "target" "func_static_entityname"

5) Upon map start, the func_static is targeted, and it causes effect kill upon the AI.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

1. I have many chairs in one room, and I set all of them as entity. Is this more performance consuming then if they were func_static?

2. I made my own 'pub desk door', but AI won't use it. When I set path through it it just keeps walking into it. I have a default settings of mover_door for AIUSE. How could I make an entity open it?

3. I have a jewelry box and I can reach loot inside without even opening the lid. Is there a spawnarg or something that blocks the frobbing?

Thanks for your answers.

tzl1l.png

You could just put in a ragdoll entity? Check DR entities.

If there isn't the ragdoll you want, you could do this:

1) put a living AI in map

2) put a func_static in map

3) open the func_static in S&R editor. Give it response trigger. Effect should be kill. Give in the the AI entity name.

4) Upon map start, target the func_static. For example, choose any worldspawn brush, and put in "target" "func_static_entityname"

5) Upon map start, the func_static is targeted, and it causes effect kill upon the AI.

Thank Sotha

much appreciated:)

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

1. I have many chairs in one room, and I set all of them as entity. Is this more performance consuming then if they were func_static?

2. I made my own 'pub desk door', but AI won't use it. When I set path through it it just keeps walking into it. I have a default settings of mover_door for AIUSE. How could I make an entity open it?

3. I have a jewelry box and I can reach loot inside without even opening the lid. Is there a spawnarg or something that blocks the frobbing?

Thanks for your answers.

1) some one else will have to address this question. I believe since they're all duplicates of each other the GPU only has to load 1 in to memory and can copy it.

2) use a path_interact?

3) there is a frob guard if you load in a prefab chest and inspect it you'll see it and its properties. Or you can just use a prefab jewelry box unless yours is special/specific. Right click in ortho, prefab, containers.

Edited by Lux

2. Solved this one, thank you! :)

3. I'm using jewelry box lid, found in entity movers folder. Another is a tiny box made by myself who can also be reached through, so I'd need a spawnarg or something to guard what's inside.

tzl1l.png

If you're asking whether a moveable chair uses more cpu than a func_static chair, the answer is yes, because the game has to track movement and collisions.

Using one or the other depends on whether you want the player to be able to move the chair, though, not on any performance considerations.

Aryx: 3. Check the jewellery box prefab. If you hide the box body and make sure you do NOT have clip filtered out then you will see a small clip brush inside the box. It is a atdm:target_set_frobable. Target it from the lid and it should set/UNset the frob on any contents in the box. It needs fairly precise placement and size, minimal really so it does not conflict with anything else, eg, so it does not set something unfrobbable lying near the box. Experiment and test.

Hi all,

Any one shed some light on my newbie dilema, Trying to make an AI dead on map start?

health=0 does`nt work so must be a lot I`m missing.

Help is as always appreciated.

Target the ai from worldspawn.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter