The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Well, sometimes it is just a minor mistake. Forgot to set a target or choosen the wrong effect or whatever. This happens to me often enough. The only difference is that I made so many mistakes by now that I know where to check for them first :)

But good to hear you've got it working. The more time you work with DR the less time you'll spend fixing errors. But you'll never do everything right in the first place, trust me ;)

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Damn I hate the current area i'm working on, so many problems!

Now I have a problem with a vis portal on a door I made, I have done vis portals for all of my other doors and never had a problem but this door is giving me problems!

I kept the vis portal pretty much within the door frame and it does touch the door but it just wont work, it doesn't even show up in game with the r_showPortals 1 command.

PjirP5r.png

Filter out all entities and look again. Any gaps? Visportals must seal worldspawn only.

Oh well that explains it then, the part surrounding it is a model. I will fill it in now, thanks!

Is there a way to find out how much noise the player is currently making, or to get the noise level that reached a specific ai? You can let it show to you ingame, but I would like to have that in script.

You would have to write your own scriptevent to return most soundprop stuff.

If you think you can approximate it in another way, there's always ai.AI_AlertLevel.

Don't forget that you have to cast the guard as an ai in your script:

ai this_is_the_ai = sys.getEntity(name);

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

The only sound-specific scriptObject is AI_HEARDSOUND.

That only tells you that the AI heard something.

It doesn't tell you what it was or how loud it was.

I'm not aware of anything that tells you how much noise the player is making. Not sure what "how much noise the player is making" means. There's only "Some sound the player made was loud enough to interest an AI", and, again, the specifics are not available to scripts.

Ok, thanks.

Well, it was more suppossed to be a feature, it is not really neccessary to get the things I'm intenting to do to get working. This should serve as the fundamentals for some sort of "soundgem".

And "how much noise the player is making" means the volume of the propagated sounds by the player at the origin of the propagation (so before it starts travelling and get decreased in volume).

I'm trying to create new arrows just for fun. So I've created new defs for the ammo, attachment and the weapon itself, and I can create the specific entity, but however, everytime I try to pickup the arrow in game it tells me that it can't add the item to the players inventory.

It seems I'm overseeing something, but I don't know what.

Nevermind, found a way.

I've got problems getting the "atdm:readable_immobile_sign_small01" to show text in the world. The xdata path is correct, but it still doesn't come up in-game.

I've had it working some time ago, but honestly got no idea what made it stop showing. Any suggestions?

The sign does not use xdata. Text goes into the gui_parm1 spawnarg. For example:

"gui_parm1" "Your text here!"

I created a door frame which includes the threshold and outer door frame. I converted it to func_static so I could move it around and place it in various doorways spaces. I have a door with handle bound to it in the door frame.

When I select the door, handle, and door frame FS, and duplicate them using space bar, then drag them to another opening to place them, sometimes they need rotated for a 90 deg. wall.

When the selection set is rotated it no longer aligns to grid, regardless of grid size.

If I select the door frame FS after rotation and take my grid down to .125 and zoom in to check alignment, it is still off grid. If you select the doorframe and hit CTRL-G to "align to grid" I've experienced 2 behaviors.

1) It breaks the FS group, i.e. all members of the group are deselected. Further selection only selects individual pieces. If you select all the individual pieces again and CTRL-G, still nothing happens, they do not align to grid. If you select them individually, and CTRL-G, they do not snap to grid. The console reads, "snapSelected -grid 0.125" and yet it does not snap any of the parts to the grid regardless of grid size.

2) It doesn't break the FS group but still won't snap the FS to grid on any corner. Every edge of the FS lies off grid.

I have double checked the original FS and it IS snapped to grid. I've restarted DR and this behavior persists.

Is there a workaround for this?

EDIT: Nevermind... If I select JUST the door frame FS and rotate it, it IS aligned to grid. If I select the door frame WITH the door and handle, it completely screws up the entire selection set alignment after rotation and it can not be aligned.

Great bug. I'd imagine this has to do with cloning multiple entities with different origins (the FS door frame, the model door, the model handle) and DR is averaging the origins, or taking the mode/median, or some such, which creates alignment issues... who knows.

Edited by Lux

DR is not good at rotating origins or maintaining grid alignment when rotating. We were never able to get these fixed, and at this point, I for one just live with it. I assume other mappers do the same, but maybe someone's come up with workarounds or a process to get what they want w/little fuss.

Yeah its not a huge deal. Once you get the seperate things rotated and where you want them you can then duplicate them together and drag them in that orientation so it only requires doing it once for each of the 4 overhead rotations.

If you use models instead of func_statics, it works pretty well. That's why I almost always use the doorframes shipped with TDM as well as the door prefabs.

Then I would suggest exporting them as an ase model. An updated version can be found here.

I found it useful to simply draw a brush on grid 8, over my doorframes, and select it along with the func_static. Then when I rotate it, it would align to the largest part(the brush) and prevent the doorstep and other parts, to become misaligned. I cannot remember if I used "rotate around center of origin" or not though.

Yeah pretty much. I suppose it makes sense to the editor, that if a 32x32 block fits the grid and rotates perfectly, then everything inside told to do the same action, should do the same.

I did it a few times to rotate custom doorframes with door and handle, until I simply changed the size of the frame.

Is this widely known? I mean, if it solves the rotation problem it is kind of mega! So... it would work on a roomful of furniture, torches, etc? Or turn one of those big cupboard prefabs I made 45 degrees? I spent ages making 4 separately-rotated prefabs of each of those.

Perhaps DR could simply create a temporary invisible worldspawn brush around selections during rotations then remove it after.

Just tested this with a chest prefab. Inserted chest prefab, put larger brush around it. Rotated the chest using the rotation tool and the locking mechanism still doesn't stay aligned/bound to the chest body. There's only a few chest prefabs. Why doesn't the "bind $chest name" arg work on the mechanism part, like binding a door handle to a door? They rotate correctly. Maybe the mechanisms origin needs centered on it or something.

Maybe the issue is, the mechanism wasn't drawn in the correct view and instead rotated to the correct view after it was made?

Edited by Lux

TDM is crashing on me and I don't.....etc......

The only output error I get is:

during compiling AAS...

WARNING:brush 484 on entity 0 is unbounded( 4972.41 3139.94 733.50 )-( 4981.73 3147.63 773.63 )-( 9.32 7.69 40.13 )

WARNING:brush 496 on entity 0 is unbounded( 4912.88 3148.86 781.63 )-( 4922.36 3158.33 785.63 )-( 9.48 9.48 4.00 )

WARNING:brush 501 on entity 0 is unbounded( 4936.10 3109.77 793.63 )-( 4951.11 3117.93 801.63 )-( 15.01 8.15 8.00 )

3 warnings

------------- Warnings ---------------

during compiling AAS...

WARNING:brush 484 on entity 0 is unbounded( 4972.41 3139.94 733.50 )-( 4981.73 3147.63 773.63 )-( 9.32 7.69 40.13 )

WARNING:brush 496 on entity 0 is unbounded( 4912.88 3148.86 781.63 )-( 4922.36 3158.33 785.63 )-( 9.48 9.48 4.00 )

WARNING:brush 501 on entity 0 is unbounded( 4936.10 3109.77 793.63 )-( 4951.11 3117.93 801.63 )-( 15.01 8.15 8.00 )

3 warnings

Not sure of entity 0.

Any ideas?

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.