The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I have the ASE which has everything done to it that the guide suggests then I went into the file and manually edited that bitmap part to include where the texture was and when I load it up in DR (even after restarting the program) it shows up with no texture on it. If I boot into the game the model doesn't show at all.

Everything to do with the map is stored in c:\games\darkmods\fms\TheAccountant so thats my base directory.. whenever I refer to the texture I have tried "//fms/TheAccountant/textures/gold.tga" and also "//textures/gold.tga" but it just does not work :/

Am I missing something here?

I'm getting back into TDM after an inexplicable absence. I have a simple question, and it must have been answered before but I can't find it. How do I make a painting that swings open like a door (something hidden behind it)? I did Create Model, chose a painting, changed its classname to atdm:mover_door. But it rotates about the origin point, and the origin is in the middle of the painting, and can't be moved. I played with using the translate property (as well as rotate) but couldn't get it to look right. What am I missing?

I'm getting back into TDM after an inexplicable absence. I have a simple question, and it must have been answered before but I can't find it. How do I make a painting that swings open like a door (something hidden behind it)? I did Create Model, chose a painting, changed its classname to atdm:mover_door. But it rotates about the origin point, and the origin is in the middle of the painting, and can't be moved. I played with using the translate property (as well as rotate) but couldn't get it to look right. What am I missing?

In order to move the origin point press V and grab that middle point that shows (it should have red/blue/green lines moving outwards from it) and move it to the middle edge of the item you are talking about. It allows it to rotate properly :)

Edited by Goldwell

In order to move the origin point press V and grab that middle point that shows (it should have red/blue/green lines moving outwards from it) and move it to the middle edge of the item you are talking about. It allows it to rotate properly :)

You likely have to hit "tab" before you hit "v" (in case you are trying it and the pivot point isn't appearing for you).

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

You likely have to hit "tab" before you hit "v" (in case you are trying it and the pivot point isn't appearing for you).

Well as far as I know you select the object you want to change the point of origin on (aka the point where it rotates from) then you hit V and thats the shortcut for the "select vertices" button which allows you to select that center point and move it. I have never used tab button before though

Edited by Goldwell

You can't change the origin of a model.

I suggest you build a thin door that's the same size as the painting, get it working correctly, then bind the painting to the face of that door. When you frob the door to open it, the painting will follow, and the whole construction will look like the painting is swinging away from the wall.

Anyone know where I can find "heat shimmer"? The effect that distorts things seen through it because of air motion? I'm finding nothing searching for "heat" and none of the "haze" effects I've tried match it, but I seem to recall having seen it in missions.

PS: Yes, doh, models can't change their pivot. Yes Goldwell, worldspawn lets you move the pivot point directly, it's entities that throw me with needing the tab, and I was assuming (yeah, I know) an entity since the rotating/moving.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

Aah... Things changed recently with Darkmod Version 2 so that article probably needs adjusting. I'm rather rusty about this but I think if you create a folder called startmap in the darkmod/fms folder then unzip into there. Or it may be the startmap folder is already in the pk4 in which case just extract it into fms. Likely then you can select it in the missions list in Darkmod. Sorry to be so vague but I think once you've done that then you map and dmap it in the console.

There is a possibility that startmap might not work in 2.0 anyway or there might be errors. Hopefully not. It works just like a mission and most of the existing missions were carefully checked to be compatible with Darkmod 2.0 but it is unlikely that startmap was.

There may also be a way to set another folder but without researching it myself I'd best leave it to others.

If you get really stuck though, I'll make an effort to install it myself and take a look.

Never mind, just needed to approach it a little differently. Thanks anyway.

You can't change the origin of a model. I suggest you build a thin door that's the same size as the painting, get it working correctly, then bind the painting to the face of that door. When you frob the door to open it, the painting will follow, and the whole construction will look like the painting is swinging away from the wall.

That did the trick! I had to put the 'bind' property on the painting, pointing to the name of the 'door' (which is just a brush that I converted to a door by giving it the atdm:mover_door classname). Thanks!

Anyone know where I can find "heat shimmer"? The effect that distorts things seen through it because of air motion? I'm finding nothing searching for "heat" and none of the "haze" effects I've tried match it, but I seem to recall having seen it in missions.

The heathaze is in the tdm_base_01.pk4 under glprogs. It is a 'distortion effect' that you can use in a material file. Some glass textures in tdm_glass.mtr under tdm_textures_base01.pk4\materials\ use it. What is it you want to achieve?

• Like 1

Is there a reason why textures wont show up on customs models? even after you edit the ASE file to point to the texture directory?

Edited by Goldwell

Second is a Blender related question so I had a friend create a model for me and when I import it into my map (place it into the models folder) it shows up in DR correctly minus the texture there seems to be no texture on it. He said he had to bake it or something in order to get it working but then when he does that it wont export to ASE and he has to export to an obj and mtr file. But I cannot figure out how to get these into the game.

So what should I tell him when it comes to getting the texture onto the model? As I don't think you can do that in DR (but I could be wrong).

Baking some shadow into your model is fine as long as you combine the AO greyscale map and your diffuse texture into one new diffuse texture with an image editor like photoshop, use an overlay effect like multiply. That's the easy way for models with a unique texture I'd say.

Be more specific please: What exporter are you using? What do you see in DR? A 'shader not found' texture, a black model, nothing? What do you see in the game? What are the errors in the console that you get from it?

You could first try your model with a (single) stock texture from the mod to see if it works, take it step by step...

Everything to do with the map is stored in c:\games\darkmods\fms\TheAccountant so thats my base directory.. whenever I refer to the texture I have tried "//fms/TheAccountant/textures/gold.tga" and also "//textures/gold.tga" but it just does not work :/

Am I missing something here?

Hold on, have you created a material file for your texture? You can't just point to a tga in your ase model.

Baking some shadow into your model is fine as long as you combine the AO greyscale map and your diffuse texture into one new diffuse texture with an image editor like photoshop, use an overlay effect like multiply. That's the easy way for models with a unique texture I'd say.

Be more specific please: What exporter are you using? What do you see in DR? A 'shader not found' texture, a black model, nothing? What do you see in the game? What are the errors in the console that you get from it?

You could first try your model with a (single) stock texture from the mod to see if it works, take it step by step...

It's a friend of mine who is creating this for me and he is using Blender. The model shows up in Dark Radiant but shows a shader not found texture over it and ingame nothing else. He uses a ASE exporter for blender and yeah I believe he has already said the texture is baked into it.

If I send you the file would you mind having a look at it?

Hold on, have you created a material file for your texture? You can't just point to a tga in your ase model.

No I have not created a material file

The heathaze is in the tdm_base_01.pk4 under glprogs. It is a 'distortion effect' that you can use in a material file. Some glass textures in tdm_glass.mtr under tdm_textures_base01.pk4\materials\ use it. What is it you want to achieve?

Adding lights to lava may have made it feel brighter, but it's been looking rather cold. ;-) Thanks for the tip of where to go exploring next!

So I have this custom texture that has a black border but it should be transparent as in gimp it has an alpha layer. It turns out like this... I looked into the wiki but it only talks about making the whole thing transparent whereas I only want where the black is to be transparent.

nULevBC.jpg

Edited by Goldwell

Hi guys. I've found I can show or hide an entity using the show() and hide() methods, but is there a way to find out at runtime whether or not a given entity is currently "shown"? I've tried grabbing the "nodraw" property via getKey() but it doesn't seem to get updated by show()/hide(). Also tried browsing the list of available properties in the entity browser but I haven't spotted any likely candidates other than "nodraw".

Any suggestions? Thanks, Steve

Goldwell: You need to look at the material file. A keyword like alpha or alphatest affect the transparency.

SteveL: Don't know but if nobody thinks up a better way, what I would do if I were you is as follows:

If you are triggering the hide/show from a script then set/reset a global variable you can test.

If you are triggering from an entity then put an extra target in and trigger that as well - something that you can detect. Can't think of anything offhand but that might give you a direction in which to look. If not, then ask again about setting up a script if you don't know how - that would likely be much easier.

• Like 1

Thanks Fidcal. I do have it working using a script and global variable, but I was trying to make something I could clone in DR without updating the script. I only discovered TDM last month so I'm still experimenting with what I can do after finishing your tutorial a few days ago (thanks for that :)). I'll try a scriptobject... not tried those yet. I was just wondering if could escape doing anything more complicated!

Edited by SteveL

So I have this custom texture that has a black border but it should be transparent as in gimp it has an alpha layer. It turns out like this... I looked into the wiki but it only talks about making the whole thing transparent whereas I only want where the black is to be transparent.

nULevBC.jpg

Look at the material file of an existing texture that is partially transparent like the lace ones.