The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Is there a trick to building a house with plaster textures - besides patience?

Maybe a certain grid size?

Constantly shifting and resizing and tweaking just to make those damn textures line up is making me crazy. I'm starting to think my city block will consist solely of brick buildings :D

Is there a trick to building a house with plaster textures - besides patience?

The only tip I can give you is to make use of the 'Fit' button.

If you have a wall and would like the plaster texture to perfectly align to the left and right, top and bottom ...

Select the wall face.

Paint the plaster texture on it. (It'll look like crap.)

Bring up the 'Surface Inspector'.

Decide how many copies of the texture should be on the face horizontally. Enter that number in the first box to the right of 'Fit Texture:'.

Decide how many copies of the texture should be on the face vertically. (Most times it'll be 1.) Enter that number in the second box to the right of 'Fit Texture'.

Press the 'Fit' button.

Voila! Your plaster texture is now neatly painted on the wall face.

If you decide you want fewer or more iterations of the texture on your wall, change the numbers in the boxes and hit 'Fit' again.

• Like 1

How do I get a locked door to open and close itself using a button. I've tried adding the button name to the used_by property like I would with a key. Is it something I have to use a script for? The button opens and closes the door when I unlock the door with a key. I'm guessing this is something that needs a script to set the locked state to 0 and then open the door.

Let the button target the door. That's it.

Nevermind, misread that one.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I have a door which has a circle in it which is see through however the vis portal makes it so the door is pitch black until it is opened then you can see through the whole.

So basically I guess my question is there a way to turn off that black void thing on vis portals when the portal/door is closed?

I have a door which has a circle in it which is see through however the vis portal makes it so the door is pitch black until it is opened then you can see through the whole.

So basically I guess my question is there a way to turn off that black void thing on vis portals when the portal/door is closed?

I think portals can be made transparent for windows and such. Take a look here.

• Like 1

I think portals can be made transparent for windows and such. Take a look here.

Thank you my friend! Works like a charm :)

Is there another way to have an AI play an animation other than path_anim or triggering a kill on them? (Presumably through scripting, but I'm hoping for a more straightforward way I might be ignorant of.)

I'd like to play the death anim, but they are alerted/fighting, so not on a path, and using a kill stim/response isn't an option for gameplay reasons (due to another needed spawnarg, such has no effect anyway; and that spawnarg isn't re-read, so changing it doesn't help).

At the appropriate time I'm providing various visual/audio effects, then teleporting the AI away, but it would be nice to show the death anim before they appear to blink out of existence.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

@Goldwell: Make sure not to overuse transparent doors and windows, as this impacts performance.

@RJFerret: If you teleport the ai via script, simple use $ainame.kill() and sys.wait(seconds) for that purpose. If you use a trigger you could let it target a target_callscriptfunction and use a trigger_relay between the trigger and the actual teleport command.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Goldwell: Make sure not to overuse transparent doors and windows, as this impacts performance.

It's only for one door which is in a small contained area but thanks for the heads up! :)

I just finished a V-shaped roof (in two parts), with the frame and everything and I added an infill layer under the rooftiles that intersects the rafters and purlins. I made the roof and infill layer out of a brush I clipped so they are "3D parallelograms".

Unfortunately, I have some degenerate tris (can see through) on one side only, in a specific rectangle delimited by two rafters and two purlins and I can't find the reason why, because it's almost symetric. And I tried changing the thickness of the layer, the beams, but it just made the whole half of the roof disappear, so I undoed.

Two questions:

- how do I get the dmap log file? I guess it can help, I could see warnings flashing when I dmaped.

- are there common mistakes that result in degenerate tris? and cures?

Thanks.

EDIT: I finally deleted the infill layers, and darkmod crashed at the end of dmap oO'... Then I converted the roof to func_static and it worked. Problem solved this time, but I don't get it. Pathfinding too complicated?

Edited by Bastoc

Jared, is that you ?

Must be rats...

I need to create a loading screen image/splash screen for my game. What are the dimensions and everything for it now that TDM is stand alone.

I read the wiki here http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Mission_Title_Screen_while_Loading but it mentions a resolution in order to keep it compatible with doom 3? :/

So I was wondering if someone could give me the exact dimensions we need the loading screen to be.. I mean could it be say 1280x720? And also I assume the TGA file type will stay the same.

Use a 4:3 ratio (width:height).

Look in any of the released mission pk4 files for this file:

guis/assets/splash/mission_start.tga

and see what others have been using.

I'm using 1024x768 in all of mine.

The default window size in the guis is 640x480, and TDM will size mission_start.tga accordingly. If you use the same ratio (4:3) then your image will scale uniformly when painted.

• Like 1

Few questions which are kind of linked together. I'm currently playing around with hub style level transitions in my test map and I have a few basic things working. I can move from one level to the next and back to the first one and I can fire off a script at the level load to teleport my player to a specific spot.

The first is about scripting and making this more flexible for my Ultima Underworld tool. UW being a tilebased system refers to teleport co-ordinates as just simple x y values to point at the tile you are going to. Level transitions are just teleporters in that game. So all I need is a way to pass those X&Y values from the first level to the second level where my teleport script will send the player to the correct spot on loading. So can I refer to entities by a key name. E.g. entitycollection["myentityname"] so I can take a couple of global Cvars (x&y) that point to my teleport destination called "teleport_at_x_y" and build the string needed to refer to that destination so I can activate that particular teleporter.

Also is there a way to pass an entity in the function call from the call spawnarg? I'm guessing no on this one if what I've read so far is correct.

Also I have have a question about persistance and the "inv_persistent" spawnarg. I've set it to 1 on a couple of objects - a key and a water arrow and carried them through my level transition ( a target_endlevel) but they did not carry forward with me. I think I've set the argument right and I even downloaded and looked at No Honour among Thieves in DR to confirm my setting since that mission uses those parameters. Another small thing is that when I return to my first level everything is reset to normal. I'm not bothered about that but I'm just curious to know is there a way to stop that happening.

Edited by hank morgan

Those of you with experience on making levels with rain... How did you pull off the audio side of things?

I started out with a zoned approach, but soon realized that the cut-off between interior and exterior sounds really bad. I tried making fade-ins and fade-outs faster, but I still couldn't get it quite how I wanted.

Should I be using speakers or a mix of both instead?

Edited by kyyrma

Those of you with experience on making levels with rain... How did you pull off the audio side of things?

I started out with a zoned approach, but soon realized that the cut-off between interior and exterior sounds really bad. I tried making fade-ins and fade-outs faster, but I still couldn't get it quite how I wanted.

Should I be using speakers or a mix of both instead?

While doing thief den tutorial I also noticed the zone approach is not smooth. Then I added a speaker outside up in the air in front of the door (in addition of the zone ambient sound). So the sound fades inside the building and the door has an effect. It's not perfect as the volume is rising when you are outside and heading to the door, but it makes sense somehow: water is supposed to flow from the rooftiles to the base of the walls (depending on your architecture of course). There must be a better way though.

Jared, is that you ?

Must be rats...

Can you move a player if he is blocking an opening door instead of just stopping the door where the player is standing?

Check the Transaction. It had rain which works reasonably well. I think I simple had a bunch of strategically placed large speakers producing the rain sound. I also had a "rain falling on tin roof" speakers under some shelters. Feel free to grab it from the package, but be sure to give the original freesound.org artist credit.

You can check how to set up reasonably well optimized rain patches from the mission too.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

My turn again. Is there any solution yet for a visportal that shows sky when closed? (Google pulled up http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15028-visportal-showing-portalsky/ but deleting other portals didn't change a thing.)

PS: My current workaround is using a func_portal to keep it open when the player is near and closed otherwise.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley