The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

What if you make a func_portal and a func_static brush with the sky texture.

When the player is near, you open the func_portal and hide the func_static.

When the player is far, you close the func_portal and unhide the func_static.

Should do exactly what you want: a closed portal and a brush hiding the black closed portal.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

What if you make a func_portal and a func_static brush with the sky texture...

Thanks Sotha, well, we'd never want to see sky instead of the objects that are there, and having something in front of the vp to hide the bug would block the player from using the door. Having the portal open when the door is closed is what I was trying to avoid, given the lack of sound deadening.

I guess I'll just add sound_loss, does anyone know the value that would match a closed visportal?

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Back on the FS solution, couldn't you put the fs with sky texture inside the closed door? So you have a visportal just touching the door with a fs patch a couple of units further inside the door. It hides the closed visportal but not the door. You'd be stuck with toggling it from a script when the door moves, but I guess you're stuck with script workarounds anyway.

*smacks self

Doh, thanks Grayman, I'd been on that page earlier as well as both the sound propagation pages, the forum thread "Using sound_loss on visportals" and various visportal pages too (10 dB for the record, although I used/am happy with 3 dB). There's so much redundancy yet discrete pieces of info buried in various pages on the wiki, juicy for someone like me who enjoys research/reading, but sometimes hard to find the relevant piece. It's like a TDM keyhunt in 2D!

However if someone has insight into resolving the original problem of the visportal showing sky instead of the door, it would be great to resolve properly.

PS: Steve, everything beyond the visportal is hidden when it shows sky, not just the door, but frame, tree, AI, models, etc.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

I remember encountering this same problem when I was updating Awaiting the Storm. It made no sense at all. I don't remember what I did to eventually fix it, however; might have been as simple as deleting and remaking the visportal.

However if someone has insight into resolving the original problem of the visportal showing sky instead of the door, it would be great to resolve properly.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. I'm not sure how a visportal can "show a door".

Can you post a picture with the door open and one with it closed?

I remember encountering this same problem when I was updating Awaiting the Storm. It made no sense at all. I don't remember what I did to eventually fix it, however; might have been as simple as deleting and remaking the visportal.

Yes, your thread is the one I linked, changing a nearby visportal on the same plane resolved it for you and others in your thread, but your issue was slightly different, in that it was presenting sky when open instead of the room beyond, while mine is doing the reverse, showing sky when closed instead of the door.

*shrugs, thanks for the suggestion Grayman, but since this is apparently rare, rather than spending time undoing my workaround for pics, I'm going to move on to other aspects of the map. There's really only one more key room to embellish, then set good loot values for the other levels, then beta time!

What's the easiest way to do the following?

I want the brick texture on those brushes to follow the angle of the brush, rather than running straight up and down like they do now. Putting on texture lock before moving them doesn't appear to do anything, and you apparently can't rotate textures in the texture tool. I could try manually rotating it with the surface window, but that seems really time-consuming and impossible to line up properly.

post-9-0-01368200-1386972123_thumb.jpg

So is there is a way to move the player if he is blocking a door instead of just stopping the door?

Or rather just make it so that the door does not stop when it comes into contact with someone?

Edited by Goldwell

There's a setting for whether doors push things, but I don't know if it applies to the player or not.

Or rather just make it so that the door does not stop when it comes into contact with someone?

Closing, or opening?

If the latter, I'm certainly no expert, I only know two ways of moving the player (some force thingy, and teleporting) and don't know how to trigger them from a door's blockage, but would your need be satisfied by changing the door to be a pocket door or other sliding door instead of swinging door? This obviously won't help if your need is to get the door closed, which a player could use an object to block anyway.

Edited by RJFerret

So is there is a way to move the player if he is blocking a door instead of just stopping the door?

IIRC there are density+volume, and mass spawnargs. Probably not useful though, as D3 physics is not like ours. And changing player mass sounds risky (water?), assuming it's even possible.

Maybe you can update the collision spawnarg of the door when it switches to open so that it's solid only when closed. But I don't know if you can do that in a simple manner.

Jared, is that you ?

Must be rats...

What's the easiest way to do the following?

I want the brick texture on those brushes to follow the angle of the brush, rather than running straight up and down like they do now. Putting on texture lock before moving them doesn't appear to do anything, and you apparently can't rotate textures in the texture tool. I could try manually rotating it with the surface window, but that seems really time-consuming and impossible to line up properly.

Use a patch instead of a brush.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I need a straw pile to save player from falling if he fail to climb correctly. Is there any texture that nullify falling acceleration? I thought func_forcefield could do this but it works in odd way.

Yes, it does.

I've found that the following lets the player float downward gracefully:

"apply_force" "1"

"uniform" "0 0 -100"

This appears to push the player down, but it pushes up and slows down the effect of gravity.

• Like 1

Yes, it does.

I've found that the following lets the player float downward gracefully:

"apply_force" "1"

"uniform" "0 0 -100"

This appears to push the player down, but it pushes up and slows down the effect of gravity.

I guess it override current falling speed and force a 100 unit limit. Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

Once again I feel like a dolt (and it's 2:00 am, do I see a trend?). Can I use func_shaking with a model?

I've used func_rotate on a brush many times, but it applies to the brush, it isn't a separate thing. I've tried binding and def_attach with no success (binding, the model doesn't move; def_attach errors out, "can't spawn '''' to attach" no matter how I name it).

Nevermind, func_shaking apparently doesn't work.

PS: For future readers, func_bobbing does, via bind.

Edited by RJFerret

I made a window of clear glass, that can be openedn (built the window out of worldspawn parts that were textured either as wood or clear glass, converted it into a func_static, and then made it an atdm:mover_door). I want to reduce the sound propagation when the window is closed, and I can't figure out how. I tried adding a visportal, and that does the correct thing for sound. But when the window is closed, I don't see through the clear glass - instead I see what looks like the star field from my skybox. As soon as the window opens, everything looks right.

Any suggestions?

But when the window is closed, I don't see through the clear glass - instead I see what looks like the star field from my skybox.

Add "transparent" spawnarg set to "1" to the window per http://wiki.thedarkm...ors_and_Windows

Edited by RJFerret
  • Like 1